PDA

View Full Version : *Your* problems with certain posts...

Doug Stark
02-17-2012, 12:31 PM
...especially ones concerning... John Bondar and the resulting disappearing threads or posts - makes this site appear tacky and vengeful, (that's the appearance).

Whatever the issue(s) are (unexplained) between the moderators of this site and or management of CASC OR and said individual, (Mr. Bondar) - it's NOT helpful to other CASC members who are not aware of what these problems are.

My post was an innocent thread concerning a new race series being introduced by Mr. Bondar - I posted this thread (press release) simply because the information had not been disseminated here, (I was unaware of a previous post being removed the night before). I am in no way connected to Mr. Bondar and in fact have never met him personally. Corner workers rarely meet racing people unless they are on fire or in the fence...;)

Gee, how stupid of me that I didn't I know I was wondering into some political issues. The 'light switch' like moderation of this forum isn't very helpful for our members and is in fact, frustrating. You have heard this from many others members with their comments on this site as well as from me in private with a note through the CASC President. This time my feedback is public.

It is understood by this member, that forum moderation is not always an easy job and mainly a thankless task as I have found out on a few occasions where I have done this service for other sites. However having said that, one of the prime directives in moderation of internet forums is allowing the members of these forums to know precisely where the line is drawn for action to be taken for misdeeds. Further, if action such as deleting posts is taken, it is very helpful to know WHY this action was taken and for WHAT reasons. We are all guilty at times of stepping over the line, myself included. Most of us, well 99% of us, do it as a result of a wacky sense of humor and not because we enjoy torturing moderators. ;)

Communication is a two way street - moderators need to beware of not falling into the trap of becoming a grand overseer, all knowing and unresponsive to the masses, almost as if they are channeling an Inca God. :)

You know... it's not such a great offense to actually participate in discussions as a moderator. Sometime inserting a comment in the middle of debates, especially where notorious members risk flame wars in a thread, can be helpful in preventing these rare forum issues.

Sitting back and allowing situations to develop to a point where moderators just delete a whole thread without comment is actually a contributory problem and just exacerbate and frustrate communication between members.

There have been many great threads on these forums that for want of a public warning by a moderator went off the rails and then was deleted. What generally happens is that you frustrate 98% of the contributors to this thread and please that 1% or 2% who 'revel' in their own notoriety. Deleting threads should be the absolute last action taken after warnings given and 24 hour thread locks tried out.

I humbly suggest a new direction for moderation is needed for our forums. Respectively yours,

Doug Stark

inoverdrive
02-17-2012, 12:41 PM
...especially ones concerning... John Bondar and the resulting disappearing threads or posts - makes this site appear tacky and vengeful, (that's the appearance).

Whatever the issue(s) are (unexplained) between the moderators of this site and or management of CASC OR and said individual, (Mr. Bondar) - it's NOT helpful to other CASC members who are not aware of what these problems are.

My post was an innocent thread concerning a new race series being introduced by Mr. Bondar - I posted this thread (press release) simply because the information had not been disseminated here, (I was unaware of a previous post being removed the night before). I am in no way connected to Mr. Bondar and in fact have never met him personally. Corner workers rarely meet racing people unless they are on fire or in the fence...;)

Gee, how stupid of me that I didn't I know I was wondering into some political issues. The 'light switch' like moderation of this forum isn't very helpful for our members and is in fact, frustrating. You have heard this from many others members with their comments on this site as well as from me in private with a note through the CASC President. This time my feedback is public.

It is understood by this member, that forum moderation is not always an easy job and mainly a thankless task as I have found out on a few occasions where I have done this service for other sites. However having said that, one of the prime directives in moderation of internet forums is allowing the members of these forums to know precisely where the line is drawn for action to be taken for misdeeds. Further, if action such as deleting posts is taken, it is very helpful to know WHY this action was taken and for WHAT reasons. We are all guilty at times of stepping over the line, myself included. Most of us, well 99% of us, do it as a result of a wacky sense of humor and not because we enjoy torturing moderators. ;)

Communication is a two way street - moderators need to beware of not falling into the trap of becoming a grand overseer, all knowing and unresponsive to the masses, almost as if they are channeling an Inca God. :)

You know... it's not such a great offense to actually participate in discussions as a moderator. Sometime inserting a comment in the middle of debates, especially where notorious members risk flame wars in a thread, can be helpful in preventing these rare forum issues.

Sitting back and allowing situations to develop to a point where moderators just delete a whole thread without comment is actually a contributory problem and just exacerbate and frustrate communication between members.

There have been many great threads on these forums that for want of a public warning by a moderator went off the rails and then was deleted. What generally happens is that you frustrate 98% of the contributors to this thread and please that 1% or 2% who 'revel' in their own notoriety. Deleting threads should be the absolute last action taken after warnings given and 24 hour thread locks tried out.

I humbly suggest a new direction for moderation is needed for our forums. Respectively yours,

Doug Stark

Careful Doug. You'll be banned ! :D

thgear
02-17-2012, 01:25 PM
as someone who has probably the most amount of deleted posts/threads on this site, i can tell you that at the end of the day we are owed no explanation or mercy on this PRIVATE forum.

AndrewR
02-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Doug,

It is interesting that you suggest that a new direction in moderation is in order.

We discussed this at length at our last public directors board meeting and a new direction was also suggested.

We were asked by the CASC clubs, CASC members, and sponsors to increase the level of maturity and increase the functionality of the forums to be a valuable communication tool between CASC members and CASC, to allow members, clubs and sponsors to plan, discuss and promote CASC events.

Whereas it would be nice for competitors to be able to promote other series events and competing series in our specific division's forums, the board, through consultation, have decided to create a non-CASC event heading, where all non CASC events can be placed.

Many others, probably including yourself, have commented on the immaturity of some posts by members. We will try over the next few months to keep petty squabbles, name calling and lack of common sense to a minimum with everyone's help.

There are no politics involved, I do not know John Bondar personally either, and the board has no ill will toward him.

As you have also mentioned, the CTCC information is widely available, and discussion of their series might be better served on their forums, where the relevant people will be monitoring.

Hope this helps to clarify.