PDA

View Full Version : WIL (What I learned) OTA Event #1 and #2 - DDT

Greg Campbell
06-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Gonna steal a page from the Autocross Crew with some WIL (What I learned) threads this year. They are usually a good way to decompress after a weekend of track time and get people thinking about the next event.

Here goes:

#1 - I desperately need a proper race seat and harness. After two days of lapping on a transition heavy course every part of me hurts from trying to brace myself in the car. SMP is gonna suck :(

#2 - Don't buy cheap poly. If your car groans like old hardwood floorboards when you jack it up, you're probably not getting the wheel articulation you needed. Bring on the Delrin (and the noise... good thing I don't drive it daily).

#3 - Mohammed must really REALLY like the DDT 1K layout. Two years of competing; two wins for the white CRX.

#4 - There comes a time when you've gotta stop fussing over the car, and just drive the damn thing. After a spending most of Saturday putting air in the tires and taking it out again, Sunday was a 'set it and forget it' day.

#5 - Wear sunscreen.

#6 - After a few years of OTA having one clearly dominant car, 2015 is shaping up to be a much different season. On both Saturday and Sunday there were four drivers who each were in with a shout for the overall win. There were two drivers who were not able to compete on the weekend, who could also take a win. AND in looking around the paddock I see at least two more drivers that will likely be right up there very soon.

#6 (b) - I should go buy Corey's old car...

#7 - OTA's got the intense, wide open competition thing down. Now we just need to work on marketing to the masses.

Many thanks to everyone who competed, donated their time to volunteer, or came out to watch and bench-race. I'm not able to attend TMP, so I'll see you all at MIR (it will always be MIR to me).

Cheers,

Gwoody27
06-08-2015, 01:20 PM
WIL at E1 and E2.

1. I miss Kelly for his personality and as a competitor.

2. I miss seeing Perry R out on track - also a class competitor who need to be there.

3. Great job as always by Dave B in organizing and delivering a super event.

4. Great to see a number of new to OTA competitors. I am going to have to get earplugs while near a certain Nissan. Also a strong crop of novices doing well.

5. Many drivers have really stepped up their games this year. Of note to me: Alan C, Tom B, Serquei O.

6. So far the closest competition ever, keep it up folks it is great to see.

7. How can an old Honda and never aging Dr. always do so well? What's up with that, year after year? He has this thing figured our.

8. Where did T1 class go? Last year our biggest, now just gone?

9. Ditto "wear sunscreen" - great problem to have.

kmorris
06-08-2015, 02:16 PM
WIL:
1. Great to see lots of new people/cars this weekend - numbers pretty good even with so many regulars absent (hope to see you back soon Kelly!).

2. General level of competitiveness seems higher this year, good to see.

3. Moving from slicks to Toyos is going to take some getting used to.

4. You can forget a lot about driving over the winter.

ONdriver
06-08-2015, 07:01 PM
Observations from the timing van

- many drivers attacking the new DDT much more aggressively especially coming onto the pit straight!
- much more even spread of cars across all classes, on Sunday there were 7 classes with 4 or more cars
- between both days 9 classes had 4 or more cars, GT4 had 10 entries total
- some novices are NOT novices!
- OMSC needs more YMFC (young men in fast cars, girls would be good too!)
- I do need to get out on track now that there is a blue Mustang missing in action
- it was pretty easy organizing Sunday thanks to Dave B doing all the background work, thanks again Dave

Shaping up to be an interesting season!

Gary
06-08-2015, 07:13 PM
First OTA event for me. Lots of fun, despite the car developing an oil leak that brought a premature end to the fun. Here goes:

1. Failing to ensure the correct positioning of O Rings and application of RTV to surgically clean parts while the engine is on an engine stand provide a wonderful opportunity to do it over again, while lying on your back on the garage floor with the engine in the car, working with parts that are now contaminated with oil and old RTV. :mad: Sigh.

2. Notwithstanding the driver's school, I have a lot to learn about driving close to the limits of adhesion on pavement.

3. Once said limits are exceeded, The results are the same on pavement as they are on ice, except there are no snowbanks, and things happen at higher speed.

4. Fellow Ice Racers who also do OTA look different without a toque.......

5. The volunteers who make things happen in OTA run a great event.

6. I will be back...

schmitt tuning
06-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Wil in event 1 and 2

1) when going to the track, its more fun to drive the cars then fix them.

2) there is a need for comunication from the building to the paddock, we all need a reminder for drivers meetings...

3) who knew you could remove and replace a transmission at the track with a basic socket set, a floor jack and some jack stands....

4) you need more then one sleeping bag if you plan to camp over night!

Apex177
06-08-2015, 11:39 PM
1. also remember to wear sunscreen
2. While you may only need one lap, it helps to complete them all
3. Having someone in the passenger seat to tell you when your being a wimp is helpful

iamthewheelman
06-09-2015, 09:53 PM
1. also remember to wear sunscreen
2. While you may only need one lap, it helps to complete them all
3. Having someone in the passenger seat to tell you when your being a wimp is helpful

lol at #3 Jeremy

I learned one very simple thing this weekend, you can still register at the track even with the new registration website being pushed on us.

ONdriver
06-09-2015, 10:16 PM
lol at #3 Jeremy

I learned one very simple thing this weekend, you can still register at the track even with the new registration website being pushed on us.

Yeah, but if that happens more than once you won't be scored.

SO USE MSREG!!!

2TH PWR
06-10-2015, 02:11 PM

- many drivers attacking the new DDT much more aggressively especially coming onto the pit straight!
- much more even spread of cars across all classes, on Sunday there were 7 classes with 4 or more cars
- between both days 9 classes had 4 or more cars, GT4 had 10 entries total
- I do need to get out on track now that there is a blue Mustang missing in action
- it was pretty easy organizing Sunday thanks to Dave B doing all the background work, thanks again Dave

I heard this directed at me repeatedly over the weekend, and it's not my goal to upset people.

Aside from the letter of the rule, on a spirit of competition level if a new competitor to the series had:

- open lapping experience for the past 3 summers.
- was completely self taught with no instruction.
- had no legitimate competition experience.
- will only have run 2/9 of your competition configurations previously
- had little experience in what it takes to maximize your Pax system

Would that person be considered a Novice?

Greg Campbell
06-10-2015, 02:57 PM

I heard this directed at me repeatedly over the weekend, and it's not my goal to upset people.

Aside from the letter of the rule, on a spirit of competition level if a new competitor to the series had:

- open lapping experience for the past 3 summers.
- was completely self taught with no instruction.
- had no legitimate competition experience.
- will only have run 2/9 of your competition configurations previously
- had little experience in what it takes to maximize your Pax system

Would that person be considered a Novice?

I could be wrong, but I don't think that forum comment was intended in a negative way. There have certainly been occasions in the past where novices to this series have done well right out of the gate. Some people have a natural skill for this type of competition and I think that applies to you as well.

One thing I would like to point out is that the people attacking the front straight, needing more YMFC (YWFC too) and this season shaping up to be interesting has a lot to do with the new(er) people to the series. Not to say that the more experienced competitors are not an essential source of energy and competition (just see 'the ageless doctor') but we should welcome and celebrate new competitors, especially if they are fast out of the gate. It didn't take Corey long to get up to a winning pace, Kyle was a novice last year and is now fighting for overall wins, and I was a novice the same year as Erik (last years shootout winner).

I for one think its great that you have come in, with a highly classed car (SGT1 is nasty on PAX), and are competitive and will only get faster. I think there's an event win this year out there somewhere with your name on it.

ONdriver
06-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Sorry Michael, didn't want to sound negative at all, welcome to the series and it was a pleasure watching you go around the track, even if a bit hard on the ears!
Just saying out loud what I suspect other people were thinking, especially other novice competitors.
New faces in the series are great, no matter what their level of experience, it shakes up any complacency that may have set in and can only make competition better.
Again, welcome to series and look forward to seeing you at the next event.

DT Racer
06-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Michael, I may be corrected by the Gov'ners but as far as I understand it is generally "Novice to the Series". The exception of course would be someone with extensive experience in multiple series or a Pro Driver. So enjoy your novice stats =D

Learned:

1. Yeah, sunburn on my neck. Lotion.

2. GREAT new/old competitors at OTA make this an awesome series!

3. Knowing how the classes will 'morph' is harder than picking winning lotto numbers. No one knows until the green flag drops on the 1st event every year.

4. How to go 5 or 10k faster into some corners than you had been? By Nursing brake fade.
4.5 When your sphincter starts to tighten, your getting there :D

5. Friends who lend you a car to compete are good friends indeed. Thanks Scott Murfin.

Oo=[][]=oO
06-11-2015, 12:55 AM
Great thread Will...

Things I learned in DDT Event 1&2, 2015

1) How Sparco race car seats magically shrink over the offseason!

2) How much I enjoy the camaraderie and friendly banter at OTA,

3) Wearing a balaclava or sunscreen stops you looking like a "Redneck"

4) How the "wrong line" produces the "wrong time"

5) How guys on the grid without helmets make it through the day!

6) What a great fill-in job my wife did as "crew chief", and how much I miss the regulars!

2TH PWR
06-11-2015, 10:27 AM
WIL

1) I need more seat time this year
2) You can't just slap parts on and go faster even if those parts are awesome.
3) I need to optimize better. (ie trade aftermarket parts and their pips to lose a little weight)
4) I really like the series
5) Many of the competitors are very polished and I learned a lot by dropping back and watching a couple of their lines, especially up the hill with no loop.

xyz999
06-12-2015, 01:33 PM
1) Had lots of fun driving & competing again
2) Although I was pretty tired that weekend I still manage to meet with many new people and always happy to see familiar faces in the paddock
3) I can use more brakes & tires on my Miata
4) The 240 felt pretty good on the second day, still lots of area for improve but getting there
5) Lap times were faster and more consistent than before, no off-track extrusions as well

kfansett
06-17-2015, 11:29 PM
Well done on both sides.

WIL;

1) need to keep students at 60%…really!

2) Great bunch and wish them all the best in the upcoming season.

See you at the Grand Prix track!!