PDA

View Full Version : Nankang NS2R

gtiboy2001
06-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone is running or has tried Nankang NS2R and whether they are any good or not? Seems to be a lot of hype and good reviews around these, wanted to know if they were an improvement over Hankook RS3.

They are called a Semi-Slick so if there a PIP increase with these as well?

Thanks!

wparsons
06-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Which ones are you looking at? The 120 TW or the 180 TW?

The 180TW should be a "free" street tire, the 120 TW might count as an R compound and would be 5 PIPS.

gtiboy2001
06-21-2015, 08:42 PM
I was thinking the 180TW. But not sure if they are any good.

wparsons
06-21-2015, 08:52 PM
I don't think they're faster than an RS3, but from what I've heard they're longer lasting and cheaper.

If you're looking for faster at any price point, I've heard really good things about the RE71R's.

iamthewheelman
06-22-2015, 12:33 AM
In my short dealings with them at a performance shop I saw 2 sets get mounted and both cars came back with balance issue's. No amount of indexing or road force balancing or flipping them around helped bring the axial and radial forces down to a level that the tires wouldn't cause a vibration while driving.

I have never driven on them on the track but I would look elsewhere even if you got a set of 4 that were made well.

RedRabbit Racer
06-22-2015, 09:16 PM
i bought two sets for the chumpcar double 7 hour enduro at calabogie last year. they didn't make a 205/50-15 so I got the 195/50-15 with similar dimensions. rears ran 7 hours with next to no wear. fronts were about 40% used but some uneven camber wear. hot dry track. primary problem was the tendency to lock up leading to some small flat spots which resulted in considerable unbalance and noise on the fronts. the car feels better when the tires are replaced with used anything else like dunlops or falkens or hankook etc.

no experience in the rain.

tires are a big expense if used two sets per weekend and the idea was to see if the cost savings was worth the performance difference.these are very inexpensive .

after a couple of laps to warm up there was some lateral grip but less than the other contenders and they lasted pretty well on a hard on tires track.

i haven't used the other set but may try them for one day at mosport at the championship this fall and the track is pretty easy on tires.

unless cost is the major criteria you would probably be happier with something else. we are mostly using RS-3 this season.

Grant Galloway
06-22-2015, 10:35 PM
I don't think they're faster than an RS3, but from what I've heard they're longer lasting and cheaper.

If you're looking for faster at any price point, I've heard really good things about the RE71R's.

Corey and I ran brand new RE71r's on the Civic si, I will be pulling them off the car tomorrow to check the wear and I will report back.

Tires 23 in Mississauga has a great deal on them.

Grant

Grant Galloway
06-23-2015, 09:42 PM
So although the Bridgestone RE71R's are fast, Corey and I managed to shred the front left tire pretty bad. Put it this way it has more wear after this event than my Hankook RS3's have for 12 track days.

Not sure what I'm going to do?

I know TMP really eats tires up, so maybe I will buy a new one or put it on the right rear and flip them on the rims.

The price of going fast I guess!

Grant

endura
06-23-2015, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE

I know TMP really eats tires up,

Grant[/QUOTE]

umm, no.

endura
06-23-2015, 10:25 PM
don't blame the extraordinary wear of your autocross special cheater tire (and rival s) combined with a front heavy car, on the poor track.

endura
06-23-2015, 10:34 PM
not pointing fingers regarding cheating btw. If bridgestone made my size, i'd be first in line to buy a set.

gtiboy2001
06-24-2015, 11:54 PM
I had the same issue of the front left being beat up pretty good. I'm currently running RS3. I figured if I needed a replacement I'd give the NS2R a try, but from the sounds of it I'll stick with the RS3.

Are these still good for another event?

iamthewheelman
06-25-2015, 05:34 PM
I'd say they are safe, shouldn't be too much slower either. I noticed mine were pretty quick down to being almost un-usable.

dsprongl
06-25-2015, 09:32 PM
The Pirelli Trofeo R, is available in a 205/50R15.

Treadwear of 60.

Just as an option.

Dan
Four Star Motorsports

Carguy
06-26-2015, 06:53 PM
So although the Bridgestone RE71R's are fast, Corey and I managed to shred the front left tire pretty bad. Put it this way it has more wear after this event than my Hankook RS3's have for 12 track days.

Not sure what I'm going to do?

I know TMP really eats tires up, so maybe I will buy a new one or put it on the right rear and flip them on the rims.

The price of going fast I guess!

Grant

It's not just TMP. A friend of mine has a set of 245/40-17 on his stock Scion FRS. The tires have some daily driving and 3 autox events (1 in Ottawa and 2 in Picton). The wear was quite visible as the shoulder blocks were considerably grained in the front, albeit on a camber challenged front suspension. The wear was bad enough for me to opt for the Dunlop Direzza SS II instead. I've been on RS3s V1 and V2 and for some reason I never have complete confidence in their grip. Maybe I'm just done with street tires and I should just go back to R-comps - yep that's the plan for next season.