PDA

View Full Version : Willwood Big Brake Kits

Grant Galloway
06-27-2015, 07:36 PM
I am considering a BBK for my 2010 Civic si, does anyone have any experience with Willwood?

I am also considering the Stoptech kit, but these seem to be priced a little better?

The quality looks good..

CobraTom
06-27-2015, 08:41 PM
Wilwood has had quality issues over the years. Some of the honda specific calipers had mega issues. You kind of get what you pay for.

Stoptech stuff has been used in racing on hondas for many years. All of the HPD branded calipers are actually Stoptech calipers.

I would start off with some aggressive race pads instead of a BBK, and see if you still need them. Previously the IMSA spec civics ran stock brakes with great pads.

wparsons
06-27-2015, 09:02 PM
I'd agree 100% with better pads and fluid as a starting point.

Grant Galloway
06-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Pads & Fluid already been done... Running Motul RBF600 and Carbotech XP10's

I want a BBK for the ability to run longer sessions.

Grant

Carguy
06-27-2015, 10:48 PM
What you're looking for is a better heat sink AND to ability for the calliper to handle the heat. I had Wilwood Forged Dynalite 4 piston x 11inch rotor on my CRX and they were too much brake for the application so no issues with fade. I was using the Wilwood matrix pads and they were good. I think they're better than stock on a Civic for sure. Can't compare to Stoptech. I general if you want to go Stoptech consider AP Racing also.

iamthewheelman
06-28-2015, 02:26 AM
The 8th gen Civic is known to chew through pads in a day or two at the track no matter what pad and fluid combo is used with the stock caliper.

I had Wilwoods on my E30 and they did the job just fine but when Stoptech is an option I would say go for it. I have never encountered anyone who wasn't happy with a set, parts and pads are easy to find in a pinch as well. I've driven a few cars with Stoptech kits on them and was always satisfied.

Grant Galloway
06-28-2015, 03:47 PM
I think I am going to order the Stoptech two piece kit for my car. My question is for all of you guys running the BBK's

Is this going to throw off the brake bias?

If I continue to run the same pads XP10's or XP20's upfront and XP8's rear

Thanks
Grant

wparsons
06-28-2015, 03:57 PM
The specific kit should mention in the details if it's designed to keep the OEM bias, or if it needs their rear kit as well.

Dave Barker
06-28-2015, 06:04 PM
I think I am going to order the Stoptech two piece kit for my car. My question is for all of you guys running the BBK's

Is this going to throw off the brake bias?

If I continue to run the same pads XP10's or XP20's upfront and XP8's rear

Thanks
Grant

How effective your brake ducting is and the grip of the tires are important factors in determining which pad to run