PDA

View Full Version : WIL Calabogie OTA Event 5

Oo=[][]=oO
08-03-2015, 12:28 PM
WIL at Calabogie.....

Blood is thicker than water, but not as thick as the concrete pit wall!
Bi-plane spoilers lose their effectiveness when travelling backwards!
You don't need to ruin all body panels to prove the theory of "crumple zones".
Kudos to the track staff, rescue and ambulance workers; excellent service!
Gas mileage for the weekend improves when you wreck in session 1.
Stephen Deneka is wrong......."it won't buff out!" LOL
Thanks to Ric, Gary, Wil, Gerry, Dave for helping to load the leftovers into the trailer!

Slowpoke
08-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Sorry for the situation, Tom. I understand the pain.

- Bringing a winter rally prepped Subaru TS is not the optimum suspension setup for Calabogie. Max left G's: 0.88, Max right G's: 0.94. Ground clearance for jumps and unplowed roads combined with the aero drag of rally lights doesn't help your times.
- Naturally aspirated Subaru motors with blown head gaskets held together with Stop Leak goop can survive a weekend at Calabogie. Certainly not what I expected.
- Dyno plots of a Subaru Impreza TS tend to show 104whp, 135chp by our dyno conversion. :( I never looked that up before.
- It's nice to have 93 and 100 octane available at regular gas station pumps within 40km of the track. But why so far away??
- Don't leave your easy-up unattended while clerking. My rotors aren't big enough to hold one down.
- It's great to have help from fellow competitors to finish your tire swap while you run to clerk and get the timed sessions started. Thanks Gerry, Derrick!
- It's not great to run down from the tower and find that your competitor in T2 "accidentally" left your ignition on and killed your battery when you're already late to the grid. :eek: ;) :p
- The sabotage attempt didn't work, because kind people in the paddock helped me get boosted so quickly. Sorry, such a crazy rush, I forgot to thank you guys properly!
- A truck with dedicated oil dry dispensing and brushing equipment and an oil dry blower is SO wonderful. Why, oh why, is this not available at Mosport???
- MCO folk are great hosts! But I learned that in rally years ago. Thanks guys!

http://caslube.com/track/2015cmp/pugsy%20in%20the%20quarry.jpg

Gwoody27
08-03-2015, 05:41 PM
Great weekend of fun, thanks MCO. WIL:

1. Don't put your tent in the paddock runoff area.
2. Timing and running takes a lot of energy. No wonder Perry wants a change. He deserves it.
3. Outstanding to get teardown help from so many. I can't thank you enough.
4. CMP is an enjoyable lap to drive and fair to all types of cats.
5. MCO puts on a great event. Who knew there were so many good cars and drivers in the region. Pierre was right after all. I hope we see a few of them at Shannonville. All except Andre C that is.
6. CMP is not really that far and the trip is a very enjoyable one through picturesque country.
7. So many good drives by GTA guys on their first visit to a tough track to learn Well done all.
8. I echo the comment about oil cleanup crew, really puts CTMP to shame.

ONdriver
08-03-2015, 09:19 PM
1. Excellent event run by the Ottawa folks, excellent facilities and support staff
2. Excellent instruction on Saturday courtesy of Jordan from MCO, helped me get up to speed much more quickly than I would have on my own
3. Direzza ZII's work amazingly well in the rain both on track and in the monsoon on the way home
4. CMP is a great track, definitely want to go back
5. Did anybody else see the turtle crossing the track during Sunday morning practice at turn 19? He must have made it, I didn't see any road kill next time around!
6. I'm sure the turtle appreciated the steering response of the Direzza ZII's!!!
7. Wonder if there was a rabbit following the turtle? Oops, I guess that should be the tortoise and the hare!

Slowpoke
08-03-2015, 10:24 PM
5. Did anybody else see the turtle crossing the track during Sunday morning practice at turn 19? He must have made it, I didn't see any road kill next time around!
6. I'm sure the turtle appreciated the steering response of the Direzza ZII's!!!

Yup! I asked the chief marshal, Ian, about that when I went up to the tower. The turtle was about 18" from my driving line when I went through. No reports of squished turtle.

So he said, evolution has prevailed. The turtles that survived migration to the wetlands northwest are all the ones that crossed the track quickly. Hottest thing you can buy now in the turtle racing hobby is a "Calabogie Racing Turtle".

Somewhat embellishedTrue Story. But the turtle must have made it. All credit to the eyes-up driving of our environmentally concerned competitors.

Carguy
08-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Greg C. came in from a session saying he saw the turtle and was wondering why there was no "debris" flag. I called up to Ian and he told me the corner marshals for turn 19 was most likely observing turns 17-18 and didn't see it.

10gt61
08-04-2015, 08:17 AM
[]=oO;248813']WIL at Calabogie.....

Blood is thicker than water, but not as thick as the concrete pit wall!
Bi-plane spoilers lose their effectiveness when travelling backwards!
You don't need to ruin all body panels to prove the theory of "crumple zones".
Kudos to the track staff, rescue and ambulance workers; excellent service!
Gas mileage for the weekend improves when you wreck in session 1.
Stephen Deneka is wrong......."it won't buff out!" LOL
Thanks to Ric, Gary, Wil, Gerry, Dave for helping to load the leftovers into the trailer!

Tom, I can't believe after you and I chatted about my experience with "the wall" you went out and did likewise! :eek:
I am so glad you are ok.

....and the turtle too....;)

wings2k
08-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Turtle? That's normal. So are ground hogs and deer and more. Part of the challenge of the track!

Glad you guys had fun.

MartynD
08-04-2015, 11:19 AM
I saw the turtle as well, he was a small one, probably no more than 6" or so.. I went through my video, but all it has is a black blob, no way to tell its a turtle..

ONdriver
08-04-2015, 11:51 AM
I think a new rule has to be put in place for CMP, shouldn't be too hard to implement

Gwoody27
08-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Yep I saw him too. No time to chat though I do speak fluent turtle, being a part of the species myself :). Glad he made it. He did look determined and clearly was experienced with the hazards. Part of everyday life for him.

Now did anyone see the paddock groundhog? He was seen Saturday just before and after the big rain.

shamrock
08-04-2015, 01:00 PM
In 2009 at the annual casc Ted Powell event, there was a chip truck parked overnight up on the high berm. A black bear broke in during the night and ate all the fryer fat.
There's lots of snakes around also. Calabogies fun!!

Greg Campbell
08-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Greg C. came in from a session saying he saw the turtle and was wondering why there was no "debris" flag. I called up to Ian and he told me the corner marshals for turn 19 was most likely observing turns 17-18 and didn't see it.

I asked some CMP regulars and apparently since turtles are small (and squish-able) the marshals won't throw the debris flag for them. Apparently they make an awful mess of your car and smell bad, but won't damage anything permanent.

Greg Campbell
08-04-2015, 06:16 PM
WIL:

1 - Just because you think you can run a time based on a notepad calculation doesn't mean you can run a time in the real world.
2 - CMP is much more condition dependent than I thought. When the afternoon temperature pushed past 28 it felt like I was driving on ice.
3 - Ferodo DS1.11 will make enough noise that when braking into 2 the sound echoing off the wall will make you jump.
4 - Sliding everywhere, all the time, is fun but not fast. See point #1.
5 - I won't brake for turtles, but I will adjust my line.
5b - Turtles on track are really God's way of saying "just pit".
6 - Calabogie safety and staff are top notch. From quick recovery of damaged vehicles to super fast clean up of on track oil, Ottawa motorsports participants are spoiled.
6b - OTA can be spoiled to; we just have to keep going back.
7 - MCO plays the 'good host' card very well.
8 - Bringing a toddler to the track is an exercise in 'don't touch that, don't touch that, don't touch that....'
9 - We have to keep CMP on the calendar. I need another crack at it.

John P
08-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Saw the ground hog talking to the Marshal in the bowl.

Question: Our rules haven't changed much since our National in 2008, but the drivers were a lot faster. Why? Heat?
Here are class winners in each class in 2008 and 2015, respectively.

SGT1, A.Hutchinson 139.661, M.Gdyczynski 145.927

SGT2, B.Merkel 142.923, C.Paczynski 143.816

SGT3, P.McFadden 139.083, G.Campbell 142.595

GT1, J.Weir 142.968, W.Brooks 153.989

GT2, C.Paczynski 143.267, A.Corriveau 147.818

GT3, T.Presswood 150.832, R.Billings 150.559

GT4, M.Hussain 150.413, M.Hussain 151.823

T1, J.Paczynski 157.016, P.Sheehan 161.353

T2, NA, R.Arbour 164.004

T3, C.DeFrietas 164.832, J.Hodge 165.503

In 2008 Chris Paczynski won overall in his Honda S2000 while Mohamed Hussain won this year. Chris' time in 2008 in GT2 was faster than his time this year in SGT2.

Got to go back to fix unfinished business.

JohnP

wings2k
08-04-2015, 08:56 PM
The track is very heat dependent.

Best times are set between 10-11am usually on days that are around 22-25 degrees. Any hotter and it gets greasy.

Gary
08-04-2015, 10:32 PM
Well, what a great weekend, even if we got a bit of drizzle on Saturday afternoon....:rolleyes:

- It is worth the drive to Calabogie. The track and facilities are fantastic. I really hope this track stays on the OTA calendar.
- The road from Calabogie to Bancroft makes the trip more fun, even if you're pulling a trailer with a car on it. However, you do have to watch your mirrors for blue Subarus with rally lights travelling at high speed.....:D
- Also, I need to go back because I'm baffled by turn 8 (Temptation) I'm hoping more practice might bring improvement, but then, given who's driving the car, maybe not...:(
- I have a soft spot for white Fox bodied Mustangs, so I felt bad when the engine blew up in spectacular fashion. (I was at the timing van) But, just to prove there's truth in the saying that they're fastest just before they blow up, the owner told me the car had never run a faster lap than the ones in that session.
- Calabogie track crews and clean-up equipment are top notch.
- Apparently I'm consistent, with the first lap second fastest, second lap slowest and last lap fastest. However, I've no idea why.
-OTA continues to impress. Other commitments in August filled my calendar. However, I've done some rearranging and spent some hard earned points. Shannonville on Sunday. I'll be there. I just have to have one more fix......
-Finally, many thanks to John P, my instructor at the School in May, at CTMP in July, and at Calabogie. I've learnt a lot and had fun while doing it.

John P
08-04-2015, 11:50 PM

Best times are set between 10-11am usually on days that are around 22-25 degrees. Any hotter and it gets greasy.

Greasy, wow; Last lap of last run I had a tank slapper in Temptation (I caught it but lost 9 seconds on that lap). Can't remember last tank slapper I had.:)

JohnP

Greg Campbell
08-05-2015, 09:18 AM

I ran a 2.21.1 in the morning practice, but couldn't' get anywhere near that time in the afternoon (best timed run of 2.22.5). Looking at my tires at home I should have dropped pressure to keep the heat in check as I have a nice dark blue heat ring on the outside edge of all my tires. Took some life out of them this weekend for sure.

72 FORD
08-05-2015, 10:28 AM

Its called V8 powwwwaaahhhhh ..and maybe better car set up, the cars that year were pretty quick TBH. Mcfaddens yellow subie that year was smoking fast. Just shows we could pull some of the old race cars out and still be more than competitive.

we also had rain the one day so pratice was limited back in 2008..you guys need more POWER!!!!!

OHH Hi Johnny!!!! hope you are doing great guys..!!!

Sorry my time and money is going into turbo snowmobiles :)

ha ha ha

:)

Adam

jimmo-san
08-05-2015, 10:38 AM
WIL at Calabogie:

1. When it rains at Calabogie, seek the high ground in the paddock.
2. There is no high ground in the paddock. :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/aOHHQkgfT0-JJoN_FtHMmg9AbNh-N-bA5wuWcHzTQLM=s771-no

John P
08-05-2015, 12:07 PM

Its called V8 powwwwaaahhhhh ..and maybe better car set up, the cars that year were pretty quick TBH. Mcfaddens yellow subie that year was smoking fast. Just shows we could pull some of the old race cars out and still be more than competitive.

we also had rain the one day so pratice was limited back in 2008..you guys need more POWER!!!!!

ha ha ha

Adam

We miss you Adam.

JohnP

kmorris
08-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Hopefully we can get another shot at this place next year - my 5 laps were a lot of fun;broken driveshaft was a real bummer. See y'all at Shannonville if I can get parts in time!

slick
08-05-2015, 04:05 PM
WIL:

1. Was great to get back to competition.
2. There was a home track advantage (like some of you at MIR), takes a while to test (and execute) the fastest lines at CMP.
3. Yes, we are spoiled to have this track.
4. Had fun coaching and taking others for some hot laps.
5. My personal best at the track was Sunday morning with a 2:26.40, but could not get close to that in the afternoon.
6. Aero is good. Need more.

Andre

dubya_rx
08-05-2015, 04:39 PM
WIL:

1. Calabogie is a long track that uses a lot of gas; and tires; and brakes.
2. GoPro batteries suck in general.
3. Even with the fairly generous slope of the parking area, there was still a lake forming during the Saturday rains.
4. It doesn't take as long to get to Calabogie from Ottawa as it did in 2008.
5. My wife does NOT enjoy being a passenger on the track.
6. Being in the novice group for Saturday lapping is good for the ego, but maybe not so for improving lap times.
7. Having an instructor that hasn't been to this track in 4 years also may not be the best for improving lap times (probably didn't hurt either).
8. AD08R's had no problem in the monsoon driving back to Ottawa.
9. Calabogie has an awesome track cleanup crew/system.
10. Having oil dry on (the fastest?) blind kink in the track is not confidence inspiring.

Would be great to come back next year.

Carguy
08-05-2015, 09:52 PM

ha ha ha

Adam

LOL!!! I've just seen a ghost! :eek:

Carguy
08-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Saw the ground hog talking to the Marshal in the bowl.

Question: Our rules haven't changed much since our National in 2008, but the drivers were a lot faster. Why? Heat?
Here are class winners in each class in 2008 and 2015, respectively.

SGT2, B.Merkel 142.923, C.Paczynski 143.816

SGT3, P.McFadden 139.083, G.Campbell 142.595

GT1, J.Weir 142.968, W.Brooks 153.989

GT2, C.Paczynski 143.267, A.Corriveau 147.818

GT3, T.Presswood 150.832, R.Billings 150.559

GT4, M.Hussain 150.413, M.Hussain 151.823

T1, J.Paczynski 157.016, P.Sheehan 161.353

T2, NA, R.Arbour 164.004

T3, C.DeFrietas 164.832, J.Hodge 165.503

In 2008 Chris Paczynski won overall in his Honda S2000 while Mohamed Hussain won this year. Chris' time in 2008 in GT2 was faster than his time this year in SGT2.

Got to go back to fix unfinished business.

JohnP

John, remember that most (if not all) of those times were most likely run on R-Comps before the tire rule. It's no surprise that the track gets greasy in the afternoon on street tires since street compounds are not meant to take the heat of track abuse. BTW, Mohamed's lap time improved by almost 1.5 seconds. He is currently using Nitto NT01's. Coincidence? I think not! :)

Saj5DJ
08-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Plus, y'know, T1 just isn't the same this year :)

72 FORD
08-05-2015, 11:30 PM
AHHHHH PIERRRE (in my french accent) hope you are well !!!

IIRC was on either RA1's or Kuhmos

nowcritical
08-05-2015, 11:37 PM

ha ha ha

Adam

All things considered , my lap time would improved but were hindered by overheating issues, and the fact that I have not driven at the track for over 6 years.

Still top 3 in FTD in a car that was in limp mode

Gwoody27
08-06-2015, 10:36 AM
WIL:

1. Was great to get back to competition.
2. There was a home track advantage (like some of you at MIR), takes a while to test (and execute) the fastest lines at CMP.
3. Yes, we are spoiled to have this track.
4. Had fun coaching and taking others for some hot laps.
5. My personal best at the track was Sunday morning with a 2:26.40, but could not get close to that in the afternoon.
6. Aero is good. Need more.

Andre

How many laps does it take to learn the track? Many more than we had. My time of the weekend were my last session. Let's get back and keep learning.

72 FORD
08-06-2015, 11:25 AM
All things considered , my lap time would improved but were hindered by overheating issues, and the fact that I have not driven at the track for over 6 years.

Still top 3 in FTD in a car that was in limp mode

Martin, give me that fancy new engine of yours :) I think it would fit nice in the 240sx...and another 300hp would be good:)

72 FORD
08-06-2015, 11:29 AM
How many laps does it take to learn the track? Many more than we had. My time of the weekend were my last session. Let's get back and keep learning.

Its quite a technical track, and it has some big power sections, and rewards on the edge driving thats for sure. To do ir fast you pretty much have to balls out on it.

in 2008 we only had one wet practice day on it so it was not a lot of practice either. However the competition that year was VERY fierce, and I think Time attack peaked speed wise, as you can see by the times.

With some more time on that track the cars from 2008 could have easily been in the 137's ..as we left a lot on the table from not knowing the track well.

Greg Campbell
08-06-2015, 12:20 PM

On that note, I stumbled across some track guides for Bogie. Not very timely (as I could have used these BEFORE the event), but still good to post and we can refer to them as we gear up for the event next year.

(see what I did there?)

Anywho:

From Midnight Runs - http://forums.midnightruns.com/showthread.php?31784-New-drivers-guides-up-on-Bogie-website

wings2k
08-06-2015, 01:11 PM
I'm at CMP like 3 times a week and I still find new ways of doing things.

wparsons
08-06-2015, 02:56 PM
but still good to post and we can refer to them as we gear up for the event next year.

(see what I did there?)

I think it's pretty clear we need to go back next year! :D

I'm at CMP like 3 times a week and I still find new ways of doing things.

I can't even express how jealous I am of that statement!

John P
08-06-2015, 02:59 PM
John, remember that most (if not all) of those times were most likely run on R-Comps before the tire rule. It's no surprise that the track gets greasy in the afternoon on street tires since street compounds are not meant to take the heat of track abuse. BTW, Mohamed's lap time improved by almost 1.5 seconds. He is currently using Nitto NT01's. Coincidence? I think not! :)

That's what I figured, but I found a 2008 Rule book and the tire rule was in place for 2008. R compounds were a class higher than Streets. Another interesting point is that Tires are a lot faster now than 8 years ago (some think Streets now are equal to R comps of 2008).

Maybe, one reason times are slower is because the track was brand new in 2008, while now it is worn. I walked the track on Friday and noticed that a lot of the asphalt on top of, and/or between small stones has worn off so our tires are sliding on more stones (that are now polished).

JohnP

Greg Campbell
08-06-2015, 08:14 PM
That's what I figured, but I found a 2008 Rule book and the tire rule was in place for 2008. R compounds were a class higher than Streets. Another interesting point is that Tires are a lot faster now than 8 years ago (some think Streets now are equal to R comps of 2008).

Maybe, one reason times are slower is because the track was brand new in 2008, while now it is worn. I walked the track on Friday and noticed that a lot of the asphalt on top of, and/or between small stones has worn off so our tires are sliding on more stones (that are now polished).

JohnP

Could be, I'm not an expert in aggregate or asphalt wear rates over time but there could be a polishing effect that comes into play.

That said, I think any reduction in the surfaces overall level of grip would be more than outweighed by the advances in tire, suspension, brake, and aero technology of cars today. I happen to think that my car is capable of a high 2.18 at Bogie and that the class record was within reach. But because of the heavy rain the day before and the heat of the afternoon I think we just got beat by the conditions. Look at the times at MIR at the last event, nearly a class record in every class and a big jump over last year because we had great conditions (hot, but not too hot) that suited the track.

Carguy
08-07-2015, 09:13 AM

JohnP

Hmmm... I didn't think the tire rule was that old. Despite that I believe that most of the top competitors were still on R-comps since the rule had just been added to the rule set. I agree that the track surface has changed over the years and that it is also a contributing factor. Yes the street tires have gotten faster over the years, but they still lose a significant amount of grip on hot days when they tend to overheat. My best lap time is a 2:31.41 last October in my stock BRZ (T1) running RS3s and the weather was around 15-17 Deg C and sunny on a rubbered-in track.

shamrock
08-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Calabogies a world class track designed by Alan Wilson (google that name). It is extremely technical in that there are many variations in lines to get around it depending on what kind of car you are driving ( tires, HP, grip level, etc). I've done 1000's of laps there and still learn new things about it as James has said. It requires all the practice you can get. The track has changed somewhat since it was built but people are still getting faster and faster around it yes partly because of tire and vehicle technology but practice is what's making it perfect mostly.
To give one an idea of where they should be at with your car in terms of lap times, I have turned a 2:24 in a bone stock E46 M3 with Rivals ( which I don't particularily like). Any good stock corvette should be faster. A winning GT4 race car time is about a 2:22. Put this in perspective to what your driving and that's about what time you should strive for. By the way, the lap record is a 1:53 by a Stohr.

Here's a link to a race video of mine from last year. You can see in the video different lines and tacts I take to get around competitors and the track during the races. ( please disregard the grass line at the first part of the video lol. Not one you should take but it worked for me).

Ted Powell 2014 races http://youtu.be/J_jqOuj_xCo

Slowpoke
08-08-2015, 09:04 AM
- The road from Calabogie to Bancroft makes the trip more fun, even if you're pulling a trailer with a car on it. However, you do have to watch your mirrors for blue Subarus with rally lights travelling at high speed.....:D
You were moving much faster with your trailer than the Blue Corvette before you. ;)

John P
08-08-2015, 01:46 PM
Calabogies a world class track designed by Alan Wilson (google that name). It is extremely technical in that there are many variations in lines to get around it depending on what kind of car you are driving ( tires, HP, grip level, etc). I've done 1000's of laps there and still learn new things about it as James has said. It requires all the practice you can get. The track has changed somewhat since it was built but people are still getting faster and faster around it yes partly because of tire and vehicle technology but practice is what's making it perfect mostly.
To give one an idea of where they should be at with your car in terms of lap times, I have turned a 2:24 in a bone stock E46 M3 with Rivals ( which I don't particularily like). Any good stock corvette should be faster. A winning GT4 race car time is about a 2:22. Put this in perspective to what your driving and that's about what time you should strive for. By the way, the lap record is a 1:53 by a Stohr.

Here's a link to a race video of mine from last year. You can see in the video different lines and tacts I take to get around competitors and the track during the races. ( please disregard the grass line at the first part of the video lol. Not one you should take but it worked for me).

Ted Powell 2014 races http://youtu.be/J_jqOuj_xCo

Nice passes, Pat.

JohnP

shamrock
08-08-2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks to you John, Chris, and Keith for helping out at our lapping day. It was much appreciated.