PDA

View Full Version : What OTA needs now

10gt61
08-12-2015, 10:05 AM
I often hear how fast news gets around in this age of youtube, facebook, twitter etc.
But I also hear from several people that OTA just doesn't promote itself very well. And that is true.
We need to be more "out there" so we can grow our sport and flourish.
But, our current volunteers all have their plates very full (and some of us that are a little north of the average OTA competitor age are just not that good with social media & websites!)
So, what we need at OTA is someone who can be our sole social media/website go to individual. Someone who would take ownership and pride in the work of promoting OTA better and increasing our numbers....someone who would like the opportunity to put good ideas into action.
We would provide access to the CASC website and you could "have at 'er" with your creativity.
Anyone out there fit the bill?? :)

MartynD
08-12-2015, 10:50 AM
(I'm not that guy)

But all true Kelly, the first thing that comes to mind..

A facebook group, take a look at the Autoslalom group, something similar would help a ton I think.

Grant Galloway
08-12-2015, 02:11 PM
I agree, I am completely Green to Time Attack. Having only done 1 event with OTA... (I am registered for both Grand Bend Days)

My introduction came from Corey Whiteman, and now I'm absolutely hooked. I have shared with some of my clients what I do, and they think it's very cool! That being said a full blown website or FB page would definitely help promote the hobby.

I have the decals on my car still, and I attend a lot of lapping days and I always get asked about it; so a brochure or a FB page would probably be a great way to promote.

Incentive for a discount if you bring out a new competitor might be good too!

I might also be interested in sponsoring the series next year in some capacity, to also help promote my business.

10gt61
08-12-2015, 03:59 PM
I agree, I am completely Green to Time Attack. Having only done 1 event with OTA... (I am registered for both Grand Bend Days)

My introduction came from Corey Whiteman, and now I'm absolutely hooked. I have shared with some of my clients what I do, and they think it's very cool! That being said a full blown website or FB page would definitely help promote the hobby.

I have the decals on my car still, and I attend a lot of lapping days and I always get asked about it; so a brochure or a FB page would probably be a great way to promote.

Incentive for a discount if you bring out a new competitor might be good too!

I might also be interested in sponsoring the series next year in some capacity, to also help promote my business.

That would be awesome Grant!

1slomofo
08-13-2015, 11:13 PM
Kelly, let's talk this weekend. I have some web design experience as well as social media. I would love to take a stab at it. I'll also shoot you a PM.

Cheers,
Pouyan

nissannx
08-14-2015, 07:54 AM
some of us that are a little north of the average OTA competitor age are just not that good :)

He he he. A bit out of context, but makes me laugh!

Apart from the school I haven't been out this season, but don't forget that OTA does have a FaceBook presence - https://www.facebook.com/OntarioTimeAttack?fref=ts

And the forum is not the website, it's just the forum. The OTA website is -
http://www.casc.on.ca/timeattack

Even from BC I was following along - and wishing that these sites were updated more often!

wparsons
08-14-2015, 08:36 AM
^^ I've had a couple suggestions that we remove the FB page and replace it with FB group instead. Groups are better designed to show member content, and should help drive engagement more. Since both are free it's worth trying. We could even leave the page with a post linking to the new (or old if anyone has the password) group.

10gt61
08-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Ideas and offers of assistance are coming in fast!
Love it and thank you - keep them coming.
My intention is to improve our "electronic" presence exponentially!

Loopy_Lou
08-14-2015, 01:34 PM
Gotta get the competitors/spectators to use hashtags when posting on social media (instagram, twitter, facebook, etc)... #ota #ontariotimeattack #timeattack would be some examples.

Makes it easier to search and find.

I do this for autox and I get likes from all over the world. Well, mostly friends and family but on rare occasions someone from the states will like a pic. LOL!

If I had the budget, I would love to come out again and compete. Time Attack was so much fun. I would love to help out on the Social Media side of things too. I'm sure I can come up with some more Social Media ideas.

BTW, don't forget to follow me and my dad @stsmiata on instagram!

2TH PWR
08-17-2015, 12:50 PM
My 2 cents as a completely satisfied customer of now both locally competing series.

A rebrand.

"Ontario T.T. Championship" maybe even "Canadian T.T. Championship" to go tit for tat

A tagline that outlines it's real focus in a maybe exaggerated fashion.

"Ontario's Fastest Drivers"

That needs to be the single focus and mission statement around everything the series does.

I think the rule book tries in vain to make things accessible while alienating a huge percentage of the lapping public.

In short PAX needs to stop being 100% linear. I know a lot of very skilled drivers in very fast cars that are put off by the series because winning in a very fast car is nearly impossible.

Spending money is self limiting, no one wants to do it. That shouldn't interfere with the primary aim of the series which is to provide a level playing field to determine who the best driver is. The rule book tries to enforce this by rewarding "lightly modified street cars on street tires"

You've lost 50% of the competitive lapping public right there in my opinion.
Many people not only want to be competitive and improve their driving, they want blazing speed.

So give it to them. All that has to happen is PAX has a very slight break for a faster class. The CCC can definitely classify a car. I have no questions about that at all. But it makes sense within the realm of physics that it's going to require more skill and you are going to have to take more risks to go around a track extremely fast in an extremely fast car.

So level the playing field. Fast/ wild cars attract attention. Everyone is competitive.

Lower Classes already get a PAX break at "power" tracks so the precedent has been set.

wparsons
08-17-2015, 01:58 PM
If the series were to look at making the pax scale less linear, would you be willing to help try to find the sweet spots for the curve? You're extremely analytical with data and could likely add a lot of value when trying to guesstimate things based on results/classing.

jonweir
08-17-2015, 05:59 PM
The OTA Facebook usage is setup properly as far as I can see. It just takes a lot of frequent posting and communication to generate engagement and awareness - which is not occurring.

A Facebook page is the correct usage of social media to generate engagement from the general public.
A Facebook group is to communicate among a group of people who actively join (similar to this forum).

OTA should find someone who is interested in working in social media to run the social media for OTA. This way they will have a vested interest in showing OTA as a success. Otherwise its unlikely you'll find anyone with enough time and energy to do it properly.

10gt61
08-17-2015, 07:10 PM
My 2 cents as a completely satisfied customer of now both locally competing series.
A rebrand.

"Ontario T.T. Championship" maybe even "Canadian T.T. Championship" to go tit for tat

A tagline that outlines it's real focus in a maybe exaggerated fashion.

"Ontario's Fastest Drivers"

That needs to be the single focus and mission statement around everything the series does.

I think the rule book tries in vain to make things accessible while alienating a huge percentage of the lapping public.

In short PAX needs to stop being 100% linear. I know a lot of very skilled drivers in very fast cars that are put off by the series because winning in a very fast car is nearly impossible.

Spending money is self limiting, no one wants to do it. That shouldn't interfere with the primary aim of the series which is to provide a level playing field to determine who the best driver is. The rule book tries to enforce this by rewarding "lightly modified street cars on street tires"

You've lost 50% of the competitive lapping public right there in my opinion.
Many people not only want to be competitive and improve their driving, they want blazing speed.

So give it to them. All that has to happen is PAX has a very slight break for a faster class. The CCC can definitely classify a car. I have no questions about that at all. But it makes sense within the realm of physics that it's going to require more skill and you are going to have to take more risks to go around a track extremely fast in an extremely fast car.

So level the playing field. Fast/ wild cars attract attention. Everyone is competitive.

Lower Classes already get a PAX break at "power" tracks so the precedent has been set.

Michael,

Firstly, I'm very pleased that you like OTA!

Secondly, I like some of your ideas about rebranding. To be honest I've been considering modernizing the logo as a start and making it a little more exciting. What you are suggesting goes further and will require some discussion but that doesn't mean I don't like it. In fact the "Ontario T.T. Championship" really appeals to me because it reminds me of the Isle of Man TT races which are all about absolutely incredible speed (actually crazy speed) on motorcycles.

And finally, as to the rules and PAX and goals of OTA, that's a lot that needs to be considered. You're right about what the rules say; "OTA is a grass-roots form of racing, intended primarily for stock and moderately modified street-legal vehicles on DOT legal tires" (page 5 under "Guiding Principles"). So we have to abide by our own rules or make adjustments to them. But we need to be cautious. When I started in OTA my car was bone stock. But I felt welcome and able to fit in and learn how to modify and compete. If the paddock had of been full of race cars and trailers, I might have decided I was in the wrong place....not an easy balance here. Having said that, we tweak the rules almost every off season and I imagine we will have much to discuss this off season. Perhaps the series has evolved to something that we couldn't of or haven't anticipated.

Your input is valuable and much appreciated - as is all the input I have received on this thread and recently at the track. Thanks.

10gt61
08-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Easy stuff to start with. If you're on FB, use it, post pics, videos, OTA news etc., like it, share it....

2TH PWR
08-17-2015, 08:17 PM
time attack was traditionally about shop vs shop.
Look what we can build.

time trials was always about the driver. Look how fast I can go. I can beat the clock and you.

jonweir
08-17-2015, 09:42 PM
Easy stuff to start with. If you're on FB, use it, post pics, videos, OTA news etc., like it, share it....

Also, it should be crowdsourced. All of us can be posting our pics and vids to the page.

Dave Barker
08-17-2015, 11:42 PM
time attack was traditionally about shop vs shop.
Look what we can build.

time trials was always about the driver. Look how fast I can go. I can beat the clock and you.

Actually Mike, when it originated in Ontario as Solo 1, it was just so some guys could get their street cars on the track. Most cars were only minimally modified.

Since then the average car has evolved (and the name of the series has changed)into a more modified beast but usually by the driver and not by any particular shop.

I am not so sure that we need to change the PAX factors to accommodate more modified cars as the last few years have produced overall winners from stock Mustangs and Corvettes to highly modified Subarus and a definitely not stock suspensioned BMW. Last year there were more trailered cars in the top 10 than ever before and you seem to be doing very well with a pretty highly modified car.

As for the power issue, the upper end of the power to wgt scale, even after adjusting the scale down to 4lb/hp recently, allows a wide range of overall power at the upper end of the spectrum.

I think the fact that we have had individual winners from T2 up to SGT1 indicates that the PAX factors are pretty close. You may not be aware that the PAX factors for Open Mod and Mod 1 were lowered this year

nissannx
08-18-2015, 12:31 AM
Guess nobody had smart phones at SMP. Or cameras. Maybe there's a power failure at all competitors' homes.

Cause there's nothing posted about SMP on the OTA Facebook page. There are some interesting videos from a couple of years ago

wparsons
08-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Also, it should be crowdsourced. All of us can be posting our pics and vids to the page.

How do you change a FB page so that it shows member posts in the same place as admin posts? Currently anything posted by anyone other than the page admin gets totally buried and lost.

That's one thing the groups do much better, all content is front and center regardless of source.

Greg Campbell
08-18-2015, 12:03 PM
How do you change a FB page so that it shows member posts in the same place as admin posts? Currently anything posted by anyone other than the page admin gets totally buried and lost.

That's one thing the groups do much better, all content is front and center regardless of source.

I think we are going to have to go with an OTA FB Page (for official annoucements and communication) and a related FB Group (for member content updates and sharing). For maximum exposure we need to have an open group that anyone can view, join, and post content.

dubya_rx
08-18-2015, 12:14 PM
I've asked before but why can't I tag the photos on the facebook page? Wouldn't that allow people that were there to share the photos easier?

Greg Campbell
08-18-2015, 12:59 PM
I've asked before but why can't I tag the photos on the facebook page? Wouldn't that allow people that were there to share the photos easier?

You can't tag photos on the OTA FB 'page' (because posting content is limited to the admins) but you can tag photos that are posted to the OTA FB 'group' (which is public and open to all).

10gt61
08-18-2015, 01:12 PM
Guess nobody had smart phones at SMP. Or cameras. Maybe there's a power failure at all competitors' homes.

Cause there's nothing posted about SMP on the OTA Facebook page. There are some interesting videos from a couple of years ago

Frank, your observations and critique are fair and accurate.
We're working on correcting and improving and I see us doing much better in this area in the near future.
In the meantime, I've asked our FB coordinator to "get on it" asap and I hope to have something on the website later today.

thekid
08-18-2015, 01:45 PM
I think we are going to have to go with an OTA FB Page (for official annoucements and communication) and a related FB Group (for member content updates and sharing). For maximum exposure we need to have an open group that anyone can view, join, and post content.

My personal experience is organizations with both a page and a group becomes confusing for the members and potential customers. The group vs page both have pros and cons, but I would suggest a single entity.

jonweir
08-18-2015, 05:04 PM
You can't tag photos on the OTA FB 'page' (because posting content is limited to the admins) but you can tag photos that are posted to the OTA FB 'group' (which is public and open to all).

There's a FB setting to allow tagging on FB page content.

Only admins can post to a page, however multiple admins with posting ability can be added without letting them have admin access to a page.

Slowpoke
08-18-2015, 05:18 PM
I would prefer the original group to maximize ease of contribution from everyone, with moderated joins and message control from moderators for spam and hater control.

Greg Campbell
08-18-2015, 05:20 PM
My personal experience is organizations with both a page and a group becomes confusing for the members and potential customers. The group vs page both have pros and cons, but I would suggest a single entity.

Agree, the idea set up would be a blog style website with content feeds to the FB group (as well as all the other social media mainstays such as instragram and twitter), however that would involve switching away from the CASC-OR facilitated website and additional cost and complexity.

For the time being I will try and figure out ways to keep the two (page and group) more distinct, but it will be a work in progress and evolve.

Slowpoke
08-18-2015, 05:22 PM
I would prefer the original group to maximize ease of contribution from everyone, with moderated joins and message control from moderators for spam and hater control. I still have to search for the OTA Page... doesn't come up in my feed.

ScotcH
08-18-2015, 05:29 PM
That's 'cause FB sucks for groups now ... basically almost no content gets to people's feed unless they are specifically tagged. It really favours individuals, which is probably how it should be, but many business are looking elsewhere. The exposure sucks.

jonweir
08-18-2015, 05:56 PM
The OTA page has over 500 likes, but drives the worst engagement of its peer group...

The page has potential, it just requires content to drive engagement.

http://s15.postimg.org/r50ld3ia3/Screen_Shot002.png

dsprongl
08-18-2015, 06:29 PM
MORE Automatic Kia Optimas, and a class for automatic transmission equipped cars.

Only allow 2 more cars in the class and then I could have a podium finish at least once!

Dan
#8 Kia

dsprongl
08-18-2015, 09:59 PM
I think that the OTA needs to work with events like Targa Newfoundland.

Not that Time attack is an endurance event , but it is a good testing place for Targa Competitors. OTA runs tracks throughout Ontario, which will
work for a good chunk of the Targa entries for testing throughout the summer prior to the Targa. All the benefits, close to home, organized, good group of people, driving instructors and
individuals willing to help with set up.

Just run it as a Targa car class, that way it will not change points for other classes, if all that the clients want to do is testing, fine tuning and have recorded times, this may be a way to do it.

Some existing customers may want to do Targa Newfoundland and or some Targa clients may want to do the 1500. A little cross promotion cant hurt.
This may conflict with the 1500 sales pitch, but if you can have a few extra entries to events or just lapping, you may be able have new customers for the future.

Not sure if either entity wants to this, but just an option.

Dan Sprongl