PDA

View Full Version : WIL at OTA GBR Weekend?

Gwoody27
08-31-2015, 10:58 AM
A tense Championship event and fun for most (sorry Rob McA)

1. Congrats to everyone on a very fine season, especially the final five who added spice at the end.
2. Great job by Michael and Mohamed for fighting it out to the very last laps, well done.
3. We witnessed the start of a new motorsport discipline; Brakeless Motorhome Dodging. Looked awesome right to the end. Looks like we have the undefeated world champion in our midst.
4. Many thanks to all who helped to set up and tear down the timing van / mobile condo all season long. Very greatly appreciated.
5. Quote of the weekend from the timing van. " it really works when everything is working" Words to live by.
6. When stuff gets in your cooling fans they stop working and everything overheats. Now add fan obstructions to your checklist along with, brake pad thickness, brake fluid, brake petal function, drivers ability to reach the brake petal.
7. When it rains it pours. Now I know where that phrase was coined. Good thing it didn't last for long.
8. Very few GBR configurations I haven't run now. Thanks OTA
9. When timing is away from the paddock and the number of competitors is small, timing is a lonely job. There are people I never got to speak with at all. A culture shock from being Registrar.
10. Thanks to all for a great season. See most of you at the shootout.

alexb29
08-31-2015, 12:24 PM
Thank you too Gary! It's been fun chasing your taillights all season! Being my first season with OTA, it was tons of fun and very professionally run! I'll definitely see you at the shootout!

What I learned:

I apparently have BAD LUCK with transmissions...

Grant Galloway
08-31-2015, 12:24 PM
I learned that I love this hobby more and more every time I do it.

OTA Events are safer than lapping days & easier on the car.

The Civic si can hold a lot of stuff and haul it to the track. (glad it's 4dr)

I plan to run the entire series next year and hope to be competitive.

Directional Tires do work, even when mounted the other way.

wparsons
08-31-2015, 12:51 PM
I apparently have BAD LUCK with transmissions...

Not the RX8 too???

Wish I could've been there, sounds like I missed an awesome final weekend. See everyone at the shootout though.

alexb29
08-31-2015, 01:18 PM
Not the RX8 too???

Wish I could've been there, sounds like I missed an awesome final weekend. See everyone at the shootout though.

Yeah, the RX8 is popping out of 4th gear. Common problem apparently. The fix is going to be either really easy or really hard. I'll find out later today. Wish me luck!

Gwoody27
08-31-2015, 02:03 PM
Here are the "Final Five"

Gary
08-31-2015, 02:45 PM
And so: (breathless anticipation) Who won? :confused: Mohamed or Michael? (or one of the others!) Either I missed reading it or it hasn't been posted. Enquiring minds wish to know! :D

Competition looked fierce when I was there for an hour or two on Saturday. Lots of guys were trying hard. When I left, it looked like Michael was on top, but that was with Sunday left to play.

Next year I won't leave myself with my car too far away for me to go get it so I could compete. And, next year for sure I will run the full 6 events. I've had way too much fun to do anything less. Great job OTA!

Gwoody27
08-31-2015, 04:52 PM
And so: (breathless anticipation) Who won? :confused: Mohamed or Michael? (or one of the others!) Either I missed reading it or it hasn't been posted. Enquiring minds wish to know! :D

Competition looked fierce when I was there for an hour or two on Saturday. Lots of guys were trying hard. When I left, it looked like Michael was on top, but that was with Sunday left to play.

Next year I won't leave myself with my car too far away for me to go get it so I could compete. And, next year for sure I will run the full 6 events. I've had way too much fun to do anything less. Great job OTA!

Not posted yet. Keep waiting.

ONdriver
08-31-2015, 05:15 PM
Not posted yet. Keep waiting.

Unofficial results posted, need to make sure the double points were calculated correctly before being released!

10gt61
09-01-2015, 02:13 PM
At the end of the day drivers meeting on Sunday, winners and standings were announced and congratulations offered to those drivers. What did not get announced was the individual class winners for the year. So, here they are:
(all results still tentative)

Open Mod - Miles Markovic
SGT1 - Mike Gardner
SGT2 - James Fung
SGT3 - Greg Campbell
GT1 - Carsten Gieschen
GT2 - Gary Wood
GT3 - Ron Billings
GT4 - Mohamed Hussain
T2 - Kyle Beaty
T3 - Albert Ribeiro

Congrats to all!! Great driving.

WIL:
- sometimes a director has to make unpopular decisions, but the support received from many of the competitors and officials is reassuring and appreciated
- sometimes when safety is emphasised at drivers meetings, it seems very repetitive, but it is necessary and increasingly important
- you can never check items like steering components, brake systems & tires too much
- Time Attack can actually be entertaining when the last weekend still has 5 drivers fighting for the lead!
- I really missed competing in GT2 this year. I would've loved to have done my best to make things difficult for red Mazdas, green Miatas, etc. ;)
- hearing comments from new people about how professionally run OTA is and how much fun they have with us and that they will be back for more never gets tiresome
- I am continually thankful for the regular volunteers that make it all happen and the new ones who are stepping up to make sure it continues to do so

Greg Campbell
09-01-2015, 03:01 PM
1. Brakes brakes brakes. Check your brakes, and then check them again. If your car eats pads and rotors, bring spares. If your brakes tend to overheat, bring more fluid. If your brakes suck, get better ones.

2. The events of this past weekend have convinced me to take the plunge a start the next step of my safety program. My car will be getting a roll bar, upgraded seat, SA helmet, 6 point harness, and HANS device for next year. Not to sound cocky, but I am going too fast to not have this equipment in my car.

3. I think that OTA is always interesting. If there's one car that is miles ahead, there are still lots of battles to be won and lost in classes or other rivalries.

4. AD08Rs heat cycle out. Sorry Yokohama but it's true. I may be guilty of being too greedy with the grip early in the tires lifespan, but Calabogie mortally wounded them and SMP was the death knell. Peak G at the beginning of the season was ~1.4, this past weekend was 1.1-1.2. That's a 20% reduction in grip.

5. The Whiteman/Markovic School of Speed Secrets equals a white 911 that is rapidly becoming a contender.

6. At 130 km/h on the 407 the C6 Corvette gets 7l/100km. Take that Prius.

7. At 197 km/h on the back straight at Grand Bend the C6 Corvette gets 99l/100km. Touche Prius, Touche.

8. Good decisions can come from bad circumstances. The decisions to halt Saturday competition in the CW direction and to change the layout for Sunday were 100% the right calls to make. Also, the decision to open up for free practice midafternoon Sunday to help dry the track was genius.

9. Grand Bend marshals must get a bonus for customer service. Between 4 different circuit configurations, countless airplane landings and takeoffs, an incident, rain Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon was a year's full of challenges in two days. But they rose to the challenge and delivered.

10. You could look at 2015 and say it was a bad year for cars and incidences. I prefer to look at it as 2015 was a good year for people being able to walk away from bad circumstances.

My congratulations to our (unofficial) overall winner Mike, and to the other 4 of the 'Final 5' for keeping him honest right up until the end. While the double points added an additional variable I believe that the overall result would have been the same (or very similar) without the effect of double points (which is kind of the right outcome).

I would also like to specifically thank Mike for being a lightning rod for the use of social media in amateur motorsports. Not only did you win, but you managed to find the time to regularly post on Instagram and Facebook promoting OTA and your involvement. I hope I we can capitalize on your efforts and continue to drive to promote our organization and ensure its continued success in the future. Thank you.

(And on that note, the OTA page photo of the 'final 5' is at 747 views as of this afternoon which by far the most viewed piece of OTA social media content. Grab your like and share button and let's see if we can get to
1,000.).

Cheers.

alexb29
09-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Very well said Greg!! I know a number of people making moves for more personal safety for next year, myself included. And I too feel the marshals and crew at Grand Bend deserve a friggin trophy or something! And I also applaud the track layout changes made by OTA organizers/crew in the name of safety.

2TH PWR
09-01-2015, 04:26 PM
I think if Mohamed went with a tire more known for it's pace (RE71R/ VentusTD) rather it's durability and predictability (NT01) he would be almost unstoppable.

Can you imagine Mohamed on RE71R, faster and in T1? He would have been champion for years prior and years to come. None of us could have probably done anything about it. It would certainly be very tough.

Do they make that tire in CRX sizes?

Greg Campbell
09-01-2015, 04:54 PM
Can you imagine Mohamed on RE71R, faster and in T1? He would have been champion for years prior and years to come. None of us could have probably done anything about it. It would certainly be very tough.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it would have played out like that. If we rewind the clock to 2013 (the first year Corey won).

- If Mohamed was on TD's it probably would have prompted Chris P. to ditch the R888s and go with TD's as well.
- Chris on TD's would have been a match for Mohammed on TDs as they are closely matched on their current tires (NT01s and R888s which are the same compound
- With Chris and Mohamed a good 1-2 seconds faster per lap Corey would have been more motivated to pull out all the stops on his car (which could have yeilded up to 1.5 seconds per lap) and Corey would have probably still won.

It's kind of like a nuclear arms race, one competitor's pace causes other people to pick up time, which makes other people invest in things they may not have otherwise.

10gt61
09-01-2015, 05:49 PM
The events of this past weekend have convinced me to take the plunge a start the next step of my safety program. My car will be getting a roll bar, upgraded seat, SA helmet, 6 point harness, and HANS device for next year. Not to sound cocky, but I am going too fast to not have this equipment in my car.

I like to see this. If my car returns to the track, it's my plan too.

10gt61
09-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Very well said Greg!! I know a number of people making moves for more personal safety for next year, myself included. And I too feel the marshals and crew at Grand Bend deserve a friggin trophy or something! And I also applaud the track layout changes made by OTA organizers/crew in the name of safety.

See above!

Kart14
09-01-2015, 08:22 PM

Not if, when.

Gwoody27
09-01-2015, 09:33 PM
I run a full cage with an SA helmet for a reason. It prompted me to trailer the car.

Next step is HANS.

Saj5DJ
09-01-2015, 09:59 PM

Big part of why I wasn't out to play with you guys.

Wee man at home changed how I see things I guess :)

10gt61
09-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Not if, when.

....appreciate that.