PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Shootout

10gt61
09-04-2015, 03:06 PM
This year's shootout event will take place at the CTMP DDT on Saturday, September 26th. Don't miss it! We have some exciting changes in store this year and the supplementary regulations will be out soon....
Lappers are welcome too!

10gt61
09-21-2015, 11:49 PM
Here they are!
Sup Regs and Schedule.
Should be fun.

2015 JRP/Yokohama OTA Championship Shootout
Saturday, September 26 at CTMP’s Driver Development Track

Sanctioned by CASC-OR.
JRP/Yokohama Championship Shootout of the 2015 Mobil1 Ontario Time Attack Championship presented by Toyo Tires
Held Under CASC-OR General Competition Rules, and the 2015 CASC-OR Time Attack Regulations
Event Date: September 26, 2015 at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park on the Driver Development Track

Supplemental Regulations and Event Notes

Event Organizer: OTA Director Kelly Ball assisted by Registrar Gerry Carvalho timeattack [at] casc [dot] on [dot] ca
Chief Clerk: Will Parsons
Chief Timer: Gary Wood
Chief Registrar: Gerry Carvalho ontariotimeattack [at] gmail [dot] com
Chief Scrutineer: Derrick Cormier
Chief Steward: Chuck Atkins

Event Timetable
Registration 7:30 AM - 8:30 AM
Scrutineering 7:30 AM - 8:30 AM
Driver’s meeting #1 8:30 AM - 8.50 AM (Mandatory)
Morning Lapping 9:00 - 12:00
Lunch 12:00 - 12:30
Driver’s Meeting #2 12: 30 - 12:45 (Mandatory)
Afternoon Competition 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
(Afternoon open lapping as time permits)
Track Closed 5:00 PM
Driver’s Meeting TBA

Morning Lapping Schedule (CW, One Kink at Turn 1)
Morning lapping will occur in 3 x 20 minute sessions per hour
1st group out will be OTA shoot out competitors
2nd group will be Lapping Group A
3rd group will be Lapping Group B

1) No drivers allowed on track unless already registered and their cars scrutineered. Registration is in the DDT reception building. Competitors are reminded to bring their weekend mechanical fitness certification certificates.

2) All competing vehicles are required to display the designated sponsorship decals.

3) All drivers’ meetings are mandatory and will take place on the patio outside the reception building. Attendance will be taken.

4) Only people who have signed the track waiver and have a wrist band will be allowed past the yellow tape at entrance to the track.

5) The lapping schedule may be adjusted according to time limitations

6) Passing will be allowed during lapping practice sessions only. All passing is point by indicated by the driver who is being passed using a hand out of the driver’s side window and/or the use of the right turn signal. There are 5 passing zones. Passing zones will be indicated by multiple cones, 2 cones at the start and 3 cones at the end. All passing must by completed by the triple cones indicating the end of the passing zone. Note - All drivers being passed must lift off the throttle until they have been completely passed. All drivers being passed are to stay on the racing line. Blue flags may be used by the marshals to indicate a faster car is behind but all passing requires a point by.

7) No passengers under 18 will be allowed in car. No passengers allowed during timed runs.
8) The governing regulation of this event will be the 2015 Ontario Time-Attack Rules and Regulations.
9) Competitors are reminded of the rule indicating that while driving, all occupants of a car must have the appropriate long sleeved shirts, long pants and socks as indicated in the rule book
10) If for some reason a competitor’s car spins off the track, they are to stay off the track (or move further off the track to a safe location) and are not to return to the pavement until the end of their run groupat the direction of a track marshal
11) If a car becomes mechanically disabled, the driver should pull off the track to a safe area and not try to make it back to the pit until told to do so.
12) If a car is off the track in a safe place for whatever reason, the driver is deemed to be no longer competing and passing of this parked car by other competitors is allowed.

Shootout Competition Notes

1) Elimination Round #1 will begin at 1 PM.
2) Each competitor will receive one full warm up lap, two timed hot laps and one full cool down lap for all competition runs except the last competition run. The best timed run will count. The last round will be two warm up laps, two timed hot laps and one cool down lap. Both timed laps will count.
3) Lapping groups will be run between and after competition runs. Competition runs in the afternoon will take precedence.
4) 5 cars will be eliminated at the end of round one and at the end of round two based on their PAX scores.
5) 4 cars will be eliminated at the end of round three based on their PAX scores. At the discretion of the Organizer, the number of competitors eliminated might be changed due to time restraints or incidents.
6) The second last round of competition will consist of 6 cars, and the last round of competition will consist of 3 cars.
7) Cars must remain on the grid at all times during elimination rounds to allow for regridding. Minor adjustments such as adjusting tire pressures, window cleaning or adding additional oil will be allowed on the grid during the elimination rounds. Refuelling is not allowed during the elimination rounds. Tire changes, brake pad and/or rotor changes may be done in the pits after Round 4 if they can be completed on time.
8) Semi Final round will be 1 warm up lap, 2 hot laps timed and 1 cool down lap. The best timed run will count. PAX is applied to best timed lap. 6 cars start.
9) Final round will be 2 warm up laps, 2 hot laps timed and 1 cool down lap. Both timed hot laps count. PAX is applied to both timed laps. 3 cars start. This will determine the final půdium positions.
10) Trophies will be given out at the annual CASC-OR Banquet in November
11) All drivers must compete in the class that they competed in during the season.
12) All drivers must compete in the same car that they competed in during the regular season
13) If a driver competed in more than one car during the season then he can compete in either car in that particular class.
14) If a driver goes 2 wheels off, he will be eliminated from further competition.
15) Cones will be placed inside the curbing on a number of corners in an effort to prevent competitors from cutting over them and leaving debris on the track. If a competitor knocks over or moves any of these cones, he will be scored four wheels off and will be eliminated from the competition.

16) If a driver is not ready to go when his car is called, he will be eliminated from further competition.
17) If a driver’s car breaks down, he will be eliminated from further competition. He cannot borrow another competitor’s car even if it is in the same class.
18) If a driver catches, or runs down, the car ahead of him during the warm-up lap, no additional makeup laps will be given.
19) All drivers must warm up at an acceptable rate so as to not impede the following driver or they will be disqualified.
20) Each competitor shall present upon demand, by any race official or fellow competitor, a copy of their car's classification declaration on paper for inspection (including, if applicable, race weight and dyno declarations). Any competitor who is unable to provide such documentation shall be eliminated from the Shootout.
21) There is to be no refueling between rounds. Refueling will be allowed in the pits before the semi final round.
22) The MMS Marshals will be responsable for making the call with respect to two wheels off.

2015 OTA Shootout Schedule

Morning lapping will be three 20 minute sessions:

1st group OTA Shootout competitors
2nd group, Group A lappers
3rd group, Group B lappers

Afternoon competition/lapping

With 20 competitors we will cut 5 after round 1, 5 after round 2, 4 after round 3, 3 after round 4, leaving 3 for the final round.

It will take a bit of time to get the grid set up for OTA competitors so the following schedule will be in effect:

1 PM Lapping group A
1:20 OTA round 1
2:00 PM lapping group B
2:20 OTA round 2
2:50 Lapping group A
3:10 OTA Round 3
3:30 Lapping group B
3:50 OTA round 4
4:1O Lapping group A
4:25 OTA finale
4:45 Lapping group B

This is quite liberal with the time it takes to run an OTA session and leaves a bit of room for tow vehicles if needed etc.

I would suggest we have the OTA competitors line up on the Left side of the grid and we keep that clear for them. Lapping groups A and B can alternate on the Right side. They have the whole of each OTA competition run to get up there and be ready for their lapping times (which will obviously NOT be exact)

IWannaGoFast
09-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Thanks for posting Kelly

I donít really understand why there is 1 warm up lap for the first several sets of elimination rounds and then 2 warm up laps for the last round.

If the addition of an extra warm up lap is to even the playing field for those running R comps, why is that only applied to those than make it through to end?

10gt61
09-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Thanks for posting Kelly

I donít really understand why there is 1 warm up lap for the first several sets of elimination rounds and then 2 warm up laps for the last round.

If the addition of an extra warm up lap is to even the playing field for those running R comps, why is that only applied to those than make it through to end?

The changes this year were made to mix it up and make it more interesting. It will never be ideal for all the different cars, tires and set-ups.
We believe this adds another component of more consistency required in a competitor's skill, with a variety of lapping conditions.

10gt61
09-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Made some edits & typo corrections, so please bear with us.
Clarification made to point 8 under Competition Notes.

Dave Barker
09-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Thanks for posting Kelly

In the first few sessions, only the best lap counts which means the R comp guys aren't likely going to get going until their second lap, while the street tire guys may be faster on their first. Net effect is that both have a chance for a good single lap.

The last session is effectively an aggregate time and it is only fair to allow the R comp guys to be fully warmed up by the time the clock starts counting. Those on street tires may want to take it fairly easy on at least one of the warm up laps.

10gt61
09-23-2015, 12:03 PM
OTA competitors and lappers - remember to complete and bring your self-tech form.
And, please actually check your car out - safety first!

Carguy
09-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Remember to instruct the marshals that 2 wheels off is 2 wheels in the grass or dirt, not 2 wheels off the tarmac. Just sayin'! ;)

I will not be there this year so good luck to all competitors. Have fun!

10gt61
09-25-2015, 01:38 PM
Wanted to let you know there won't be coffee at the track in the morning. :eek:
So if you need it (like I do), bring some!

k.beaty
09-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Thanks everyone for putting on an awesome event! Congrats to Carsten on the win, and everyone else for a great season. Here is my in-car video from the final elimination round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpsbaWbRS7E

wparsons
09-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Awesome driving by everyone, the competition was amazingly tight!

IWannaGoFast
09-28-2015, 10:40 PM
Here's my video from the semi finals, battery died during the warm up lap of the final round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfyFP4d3sE4

MartynD
09-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Here's my video from the semi finals, battery died during the warm up lap of the final round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfyFP4d3sE4

Hmm thanks for that Carsten, was surprised to see you take 11 in 3rd.. but after the struggles I had down there downshifting it now all makes sense...

IWannaGoFast
09-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Hmm thanks for that Carsten, was surprised to see you take 11 in 3rd.. but after the struggles I had down there downshifting it now all makes sense...

I had better acceleration out of the corner in 2nd, but found I was slowing down too much with the downshift, staying in 3rd allowed me to focus more on getting the corner right and carry more speed through the corner

John P
09-29-2015, 02:47 PM
I had better acceleration out of the corner in 2nd, but found I was slowing down too much with the downshift, staying in 3rd allowed me to focus more on getting the corner right and carry more speed through the corner

Nice to have torque working for you.

JohnP

wparsons
11-21-2015, 07:38 PM
My pictures are finally up:

https://willparsons.smugmug.com/Automotive/OTA/2015-Shootout/

Grant Galloway
11-21-2015, 09:08 PM
Those are some great shots Will.

Nicely Done!!

Slowpoke
11-21-2015, 11:18 PM