PDA

View Full Version : OTA is...:

Greg Campbell
09-04-2015, 04:15 PM
In working with some social media platforms there is inevitably a section that asks to describe your ‘group’. I know that there was some discussion at the start of the year about making allowances to benefit more race-prepared cars and encourage their participation in our series, but I think it’s worthwhile to have a broader discussion about what is OTA and what our series represents.

The below description has not been reviewed by anyone other than myself, but I want you input into how we could possible write a mission statement. I have taken some content from the guiding principles outlined in the rule book.

What do you think?

OTA is:…

Ontario Time Attack (OTA) is a grassroots amateur motorsport where competitors race in a time trial format against the clock using the best purpose built race tracks in Ontario. OTA uses a linear classification system that ranks vehicles based on their performance potential and is intended to provide a level playing field for all optimally prepared cars. Originally intended for stock and moderately modified street-legal vehicles on DOT legal tires; the OTA rules and classification system are reviewed on an ongoing basis to adapt and evolve according to developments in tire, suspension, and performance modifications as well as the types of vehicles used and prep-level of competitors. OTA strives to provide the best competition environment possible, with the highest levels of safety, at an affordable cost.

kmorris
09-04-2015, 04:42 PM
In working with some social media platforms there is inevitably a section that asks to describe your ‘group’. I know that there was some discussion at the start of the year about making allowances to benefit more race-prepared cars and encourage their participation in our series, but I think it’s worthwhile to have a broader discussion about what is OTA and what our series represents.

The below description has not been reviewed by anyone other than myself, but I want you input into how we could possible write a mission statement. I have taken some content from the guiding principles outlined in the rule book.

What do you think?

Ontario Time Attack (OTA) is a grassroots amateur motorsport where competitors race in a time trial format against the clock using the best purpose built race tracks in Ontario. OTA uses a linear classification system that ranks vehicles based on their performance potential and is intended to provide a level playing field for all optimally prepared cars. Originally intended for stock and moderately modified street-legal vehicles on DOT legal tires; the OTA rules and classification system are reviewed on an ongoing basis to adapt and evolve according to developments in tire, suspension, and performance modifications as well as the types of vehicles used and prep-level of competitors. OTA strives to provide the best competition environment possible, with the highest levels of safety, at an affordable cost.

Greg, I think this is a really good idea. Your description is a great starting point, and extremely accurate, if a tiny bit formal for the average reader.

In this context, I think we mostly need to help people discover that this is something they should be interested in trying for themselves.

So aside from simplifying the language a bit, I think there are a couple of additional things that OTA is:

- a *road* race competition
- a competition between drivers not just cars
- ridiculously fun
- inclusive of many kinds of cars

IWannaGoFast
09-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Looks really good Greg, what about modifying the last sentence to help stress the point that OTA is good for competitors with various skill levels. You don't need to be an expert to join, OTA will help you along the way

OTA strives to provide the best competition environment possible, accessible to competitors of all skill levels, with the highest levels of safety, at an affordable cost.

What do you think?

nissannx
09-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Love what you're doing. But use Time Attack rather than time trials. That's the commonly accepted term now and reduces confusion. Also fits. OTA=Ontario Time Attack

Grant Galloway
09-04-2015, 07:10 PM
I think most importantly it's fun and provides a social network to meet new people talk about cars with other enthusiasts and learn new things!

Although I have only ran two events, for me I have met some new people and that's an important part of any new hobby.

It's a very welcoming group, and I'm looking forward to running the entire series next year!

Grant

Lloyd_
09-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Love what you're doing. But use Time Attack rather than time trials. That's the commonly accepted term now and reduces confusion. Also fits. OTA=Ontario Time Attack

Using what is in the name of the series is probably a good idea.

However, I always describe OTA as a time trial series to anyone I talk to.

To me "time attack" means:
* Open concept rules with largely unlimited power
* One shot effort at setting a time

In contrast a time trial will involve more attempts at a time and a more rules based approach - e.g., OTA.

But I doubt either definition is in the dictionary, so *shrug*.