PDA

View Full Version : WIL at Picton - Event 8

sjd
10-04-2015, 10:38 PM
1. It looks like only Val, Daniel, Pete, Steve A and I completed all 8 events this year. Of course I think Val competed in the greatest number of vehicles.
2. I had a great time at the last 2 Picton events despite driving poorly at both of them.
3. Joining a couple of different convoys on the drive out was fun.
4. No man ever tires of wiener jokes.
5. Finding 3 ants crawling around your car on the drive home can't be a coincidence.
6. When the lunch option has local gourmet mustards you know its going to be good. Local sauerkraut too but I don't like it.
7. A course design committee can be come to fruition in a hurry and be quite effective. The end result was quite exhilarating.
8. If any organizing club ever requires assistance and/or additional volunteers to help get an event off the ground there is a wealth of experienced people who will step up.
9. There is no better place to learn manual transmission than autocross.

darcyw
10-04-2015, 11:40 PM
9. There is no better place to learn manual transmission than autocross.

unless the student crashes causing $4000 damage to an NA miata...

darcy

Ziploc
10-05-2015, 11:13 AM
-I learned that reruns are informed through the live results. Not by someone yelling "RERUNNNN"
-I learned that times can go missing. And then be found in the afternoon.
-As SJD said, if you count the celebration weekend, I ran three of my own cars this season. ALL CARS ARE RACE CARS.
-Even with a navigator, a rally car cannot slalom at Picton.
-I can never tell anyone how I get anywhere. The google lady does all the work for me.
-Having 10+ course designers made for quite the course.
-Gotta hand it to the PMSC guys. "We hear what you're saying. And we agree. Help us, and we'll make this happen."

Travis
10-05-2015, 12:58 PM
1. "uh... I don't care. Whatever you want." is my answer to most questions I get asked in the morning of an autox.

2. At Picton, if somebody asks if they can park their wiener next to you, you should say yes. He's talking about something delicious that you'll want in your mouth.

3. If you barely have enough marshals to cover the whole course, it's still really important to have a starter.

4. It's possible to set up a huge course in a matter of minutes if enough people help.

5. If you bring an empty cooler, you might go home with a full cooler.

6. If you want to hit the wear bars on a set of tires in just 3 events just keep turning right. Can we do some left turns too next year?:o

7. At 60km/h my front left tire says "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"
at 90, "HAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!"
at 120, "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
at 115, "mmmm". So I drove home at 115.

-I learned that reruns are informed through the live results. Not by someone yelling "RERUNNNN"

We should make this official - double check your own results, or else you're relying on ME (see #1).

redneckdzl
10-05-2015, 03:29 PM
1) miatas without cruise control suck, my leg was all cramped up from the drive home, can't imagine driving 2 hours let alone the 1.5 from picton
2) 17" oversized "summer" tires are better then 14" all seasons, i didn't spin once, but didn't quite go as fast as I could have, I think a LSD would help more then tires
3) How many Traviss does it take to fix a printer, we had 2, but likely could have used more as the printer is still not working
4) Picton is always a blast regardless of what you drive :D

Ziploc
10-05-2015, 03:44 PM
I drove all 16 hours to SCCA nationals in my Miata. No cruise. You get good at wedging your foot between the throttle and trans tunnel.

Evan .
10-05-2015, 06:19 PM
6. If you want to hit the wear bars on a set of tires in just 3 events just keep turning right. Can we do some left turns too next year?:o

You are at the wear bars??

sjd
10-05-2015, 06:42 PM

Yikes! I am almost there myself but I have 97 runs on them and around street 5000km.

Ziploc
10-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Picton rattled loose not one. But two shock shafts.

Lynam55
10-06-2015, 12:17 AM
Picton rattled loose not one. But two shock shafts.
The top mount bolt?

Ziploc
10-06-2015, 12:46 AM
Center one. Yup. On my Tokicos they are locked with a second nut to jam it.

Travis
10-06-2015, 11:45 AM

One tire has the wear bars scrubbed in very well even though it's not quite flush with the surface around it.

Keep in mind that's the tire that took a beating at the Pro Solo. That's about 24 runs total so far. The set will last just 6 events before they're too bald to drive on the street.

I sure hope this 200TW rating BS gets resolved sooner than later. My 200TW Dunlop ZII (non Star Spec) lasted more than twice that long. Time for me to buy a Miata?

Lynam55
10-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Time for me to buy a Miata?

Smartest thing I have heard you say! :rolleyes: We can't all be the same though. Nice to see different cars out there!

Evan .
10-06-2015, 12:09 PM
One tire has the wear bars scrubbed in very well even though it's not quite flush with the surface around it.

Keep in mind that's the tire that took a beating at the Pro Solo. That's about 24 runs total so far. The set will last just 6 events before they're too bald to drive on the street.

I sure hope this 200TW rating BS gets resolved sooner than later. My 200TW Dunlop ZII (non Star Spec) lasted more than twice that long. Time for me to buy a Miata?

That is insane! Good thing you didn't take them on the DDT. Here is how they do TW testing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadwear_rating

So they drive 7200 miles in a convoy and compare them to a control tire. Sounds easy to cheat if you know the max tire temp of the test, then lower rolling resistance and increased surface area so they barely squeak past 200TW. The compound could turn into an r comp 5 degrees higher than the convoy test, but that isn't going to be reflected.

Apparently that doesn't correlate strongly to driving around a parking lot 24 times, though.