PDA

View Full Version : Existing Competitor Survey

Greg Campbell
10-07-2015, 06:22 PM
In order to gain valuable information on what existing competitors think about OTA, the following survey has been created. Please take 5-10 mins to click on the link below and complete the survey. The results with help shape the future direction for OTA and give you the opportunity to put your suggestions and comments forward.

This survey is to solicit feedback from existing competitors. There will also be a survey to learn more about potential competitors and how we can encourage them to participate. That survey and link will be uploaded shortly.

Thank you.

Existing Competitor Survey (http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/RQcwZ5Yn)

2TH PWR
10-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Ugh doesnt' work on my phone so I am just posting. My non anonymous exceedingly unpopular recommendations.

Things for improvement.

Ditch the 10% weight loss rule please. I don't see the physical basis of why it was instituted. It's completely arbitrary.

Move the shootout to different tracks. Too much reliance on DDT.

The DDT is not a representative track for circuits in Ontario. It's slow.

Make the final contestants compete in the same car, or switch cars. Let's get creative. There are ways to do this. If there was a star in the same car type contest I think people would love that.

Get rid of the PAX break for low classes at MIR. It seems to me success is based more on power/ weight ratio within class as opposed to just power to weight in general.

There is no reward or incentive to go fast within the body of the rules. Perhaps at least increase the prize or incentive for the fastest time of the day. Fast things are fun.

Events and accomplishments need to be hyped up more online to attract today's young racers.

Greg Campbell
10-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Mike,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you feel that your recommendations and suggestions are unpopular, however I can assure you that everything you say is being reviewed and considered.

As the winner of this year's regular season championship you are not only just the kind of fast driver OTA is built for, and your commitment to social media should be commended as well. If OTA did half as good a job on promotion and marketing as you do, we would be well on our way.

Please stay tuned for future developments.

10gt61
10-07-2015, 10:05 PM
Things for improvement.

Ditch the 10% weight loss rule please. I don't see the physical basis of why it was instituted. It's completely arbitrary.

Move the shootout to different tracks. Too much reliance on DDT.

The DDT is not a representative track for circuits in Ontario. It's slow.

Make the final contestants compete in the same car, or switch cars. Let's get creative. There are ways to do this. If there was a star in the same car type contest I think people would love that.

Get rid of the PAX break for low classes at MIR. It seems to me success is based more on power/ weight ratio within class as opposed to just power to weight in general.

There is no reward or incentive to go fast within the body of the rules. Perhaps at least increase the prize or incentive for the fastest time of the day. Fast things are fun.

Events and accomplishments need to be hyped up more online to attract today's young racers.

Be assured we are considering a number of changes for next season.
We struggled financially this year so we do have to make rebounding from our present position priority 1, however we also hope to make interesting changes that will continue to be exciting for our competitors and new people to the series.

But, to address some of your concerns Mike,
- The series was originally geared to street cars being able to compete with some conservative mods. As time went by it became obvious that "race cars" were rising to the top, and light weighting (a big gain for car prep) had not been taken into account in the rules. So the rules changed. The differences were only slight and did not affect many cars.
- There may not be a shootout next season. It is costly and there are mixed reviews on the shootout. This is not confirmed yet and it could reappear down the road.
- There will probably be less events next season. DDT is fairly central for OTA and we can usually break even or make a little there. It's actually not my favourite track either but we need to keep it in the schedule.
- FTD could warrant a prize. I'm sure we all like fast!
- Hyping OTA on social media is important and is improving - thanks to the likes of people like Greg C. and others, including you! Thanks for that.

It's early days yet and I have a lot of people with a lot of good ideas helping out. I am optimistic about our future.

jimmo-san
10-08-2015, 07:26 AM
Not sure if my response was submitted. Second page of survey (when done on iPad) says "You have not placed any items on this page ... etc" and shows a "next" button. But "next" button doesn't change page. :confused:

Greg Campbell
10-08-2015, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

I have heard from one or two people that they are experiencing some issues, however I already have 28 responses so it appears that some people are able to get through.

Can you tell me what platform you are using to answer the survey? Per 2TH PWR, phone based browsers may not always be compatible.

wparsons
10-08-2015, 09:26 AM

I personally LOVE this idea. PITL runs their end of year shootout with a random car, check out this year's choice:

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12027783_10153223904774220_3212579131063308543_n.jpg?oh=dc8219f17548f1b4786ce68826e8c008&oe=568E3168

It's not just MIR, Calabogie also runs a different PAX IIRC. Along that line, IMO total HP matters more on MIR than power/weight. I've lapped it in a a B5 S4 and hit ~25km/h faster than my FRS can do up the back straight. Based on CCDB figures the S4 is 14.37lbs/hp and my FRS is 13.47lbs/hp. Not a staggering difference, but it's clear the power/weight isn't helping as much as shear power.

2TH PWR
10-08-2015, 11:26 AM
I personally LOVE this idea. PITL runs their end of year shootout with a random car, check out this year's choice:

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12027783_10153223904774220_3212579131063308543_n.jpg?oh=dc8219f17548f1b4786ce68826e8c008&oe=568E3168

It's not just MIR, Calabogie also runs a different PAX IIRC. Along that line, IMO total HP matters more on MIR than power/weight. I've lapped it in a a B5 S4 and hit ~25km/h faster than my FRS can do up the back straight. Based on CCDB figures the S4 is 14.37lbs/hp and my FRS is 13.47lbs/hp. Not a staggering difference, but it's clear the power/weight isn't helping as much as shear power.

Ok yes. I guess my personalized feedback is that I am a 335 whp car in SGT1. I'm a low powered SGT1 car. (I had about 2/3 of that at MIR with two cyllinders knocked out) Regardless, how long has it been since a high horse power car won there. What class was that car in? Just wondering. As a new comer it seemed mysterious to me.

wparsons
10-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Fair question, and worth investigating for sure!

I think it might be worth creating a real database of lap times/PI/etc so that we can run analytics MUCH faster than by manually doing it through results and excel.

kmorris
10-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Not sure if mine went through either. You should see the phrase 'purpose-built race car' in there if it did.

Greg Campbell
10-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Not sure if mine went through either. You should see the phrase 'purpose-built race car' in there if it did.

Your responses are in there.

I am not sure exactly what people are seeing on their end, but the responses are being recorded. I will chalk it up to my own inexperience using this online tool.

Either way, the feedback people are providing is great. Please keep it comming (for those that haven't yet completed it).

Thanks!

10gt61
10-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Did mine come through?

Greg Campbell
10-08-2015, 06:29 PM
Did mine come through?

The survey responses are anonymous (I only knew of Kevin's entries because he told me about one), however it appears everyone's is in there.

Including someone who has a rather large crush on Will P. Not sure if the Mrs is aware of that one. :p

wparsons
10-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Including someone who has a rather large crush on Will P. Not sure if the Mrs is aware of that one. :p

What question did that get entered under?!?!?! Please don't tell her unless the person is offering to take me in, if she gets wind someone else will put up with me she might make them :D :D

Gwoody27
10-08-2015, 08:02 PM
I couldn't do the 2nd page.

jimmo-san
10-09-2015, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Can you tell me what platform you are using to answer the survey? Per 2TH PWR, phone based browsers may not always be compatible.

iPad and Safari browser. I'll re-do the survey when I'm back home and have access to a PC.

wparsons
10-09-2015, 11:25 AM
I couldn't do the 2nd page.

Based on what I'm hearing, there isn't actually a second page of questions.

Gary
10-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I answered 14 questions, using my laptop's browser. Then I clicked the next page button. Apparently this isn't the right thing to do. There is nothing on the second page, and I could not get back to the questions page. I hope my responses were recorded, as I didn't click on a save button. If they are saved automatically, I'm guessing you have my responses.

iamthewheelman
10-09-2015, 02:48 PM
I answered 14 questions, using my laptop's browser. Then I clicked the next page button. Apparently this isn't the right thing to do. There is nothing on the second page, and I could not get back to the questions page. I hope my responses were recorded, as I didn't click on a save button. If they are saved automatically, I'm guessing you have my responses.

I experienced the same thing as this

Slowpoke
10-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Submitted. You should be able to figure it out.

chmod755
10-09-2015, 06:51 PM
I had trouble with the survey too. I tried with my phone and on a Chrome browser in Windows 10.

Greg Campbell
10-15-2015, 03:49 PM
66 responses as of this afternoon: Thank you to everyone that submitted.

If you haven't had time to click through the survey, it would be great if you could do so by Saturday as I am going to start agregating responses and identifying trends.

For those of you that have experienced any kind of technical issue; despite what the page says your responses are included. For some reason it is not properly flowing to the Thank You page. All questions are on page 1, page 2 is just a thank you.