PDA

View Full Version : Koni 3011 Shocks

Grant Galloway
10-25-2015, 06:46 PM
So I am trying to do some research, looking at a serious upgrade to the suspension on my Civic. Been corresponding with Redshift Motorsports in the USA and considering the Koni 3011 shocks with an aggressive 14KG Rear Spring and a 10KG Front Spring.

Has anyone run these? The whole setup is going to run me around $3,000 USD

Does this seem reasonable? Anyone have any other suggestions?

If I spend this, I will be keeping my car for quite a while!!!

Grant

wparsons
10-26-2015, 10:29 AM
The rates seem reasonable to me, there's a fair number of people running 10kF/12kR on my platform and the cars are roughly the same weight. Even stiffer rear makes sense to get your car rotating.

The only caution I would have is with rates that high you're going to want really good shocks. Most guys running rates that high on an FRS/BRZ are into Tein SRC's, Moton's or JRZ's (~$4000 US up to ~$6500 US). Not saying the Koni's aren't good, I'd just look for honest feedback from anyone running rates that high on those shocks.

Greg Campbell
10-26-2015, 12:22 PM
On Corvette's the Koni is consider a good value for money, but still entry level shock. Better wheel control can be had with the offerings or JRZ, Penske, Moton, etc.

That said, LG motorsports offers a coilover using customs balved Bilsteins and claims that they match the performance of the expensive shocks (and even offers shock dyno traces to back it up).

I don't think there's a wrong way to go. In either case (entry level or top shelf) the onus is on the driver to make sure the set up works within the overall package.

iamthewheelman
10-26-2015, 12:25 PM
Red Shift knows their stuff, those rates will be fine on those shocks. I run 14k/12k on my race valved Koni's and they handle them well.

However, for the money you can get a set of single adjustable MCS shocks which I bet would be a step up from the Koni's.

P.s. Greg is right, your just starting out. I doubt you'll be extracting the most of a high end setup for a year or two at least, but for the money your willing to spend you can get an entry level high end shock.

Grant Galloway
10-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

After careful discussion with Chris at Redshift who runs MCS on his 07 Civic, he convinced me to stick with the ISC Dampers for now and try the heavier rear spring. (He said he has dyno'd the ISC's and their decent)

I ordered his rear spring perch setup and an 11.6KG rear spring, this is up from my current 5.5KG rear..

I had Koni email me and they told me that even their yellows can handle some fairly high spring rates once they are revalved.

This means more money next year for the best mod you can buy, Practice and instruction... I'm still very much a newbie at all of this!

Cheers
Grant

3wheeler
10-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Lets all remember that we cannot compare spring rates from car to car. Motion ratio's are almost always different, and that is not to mention all the other variables you must take into account.

IMO, it is best to work with a manufacture or well-known tuner/builder when ordering shock/spring packages. The ability to order a quality set-up that suits YOUR needs is why you pay the extra money.

And one more thing; when buying anything for competition use, consider your skill level and end goals first. Once you've done that, you then know what budget is needed to give you best possible chance at a win, or to just have fun. You will save a lot of money in the long run!

:)

Carguy
10-28-2015, 07:35 PM
After careful discussion with Chris at Redshift who runs MCS on his 07 Civic, he convinced me to stick with the ISC Dampers for now and try the heavier rear spring. (He said he has dyno'd the ISC's and their decent)

I ordered his rear spring perch setup and an 11.6KG rear spring, this is up from my current 5.5KG rear..

I'm guessing that Chris knows his stuff. All the same, make sure to re-valve the rear dampers. Your new rear spring rate will easily overpower the rear damper if you don't re-valve. Also, are you also changing the front spring rate? With the new rear spring rate the front/rear spring ratio or "balance" would be significantly altered if you keep the current front spring rate. Having said that if the front spring rate is near 8.3KG you'll achieve the same ratio as 10K front/14K rear with your new rear springs.

KLZEMX6
10-29-2015, 12:05 PM
I'm guessing that Chris knows his stuff. All the same, make sure to re-valve the rear dampers. Your new rear spring rate will easily overpower the rear damper if you don't re-valve. Also, are you also changing the front spring rate? With the new rear spring rate the front/rear spring ratio or "balance" would be significantly altered if you keep the current front spring rate. Having said that if the front spring rate is near 8.3KG you'll achieve the same ratio as 10K front/14K rear with your new rear springs.

drastically increased rear spring rate is what the car needs to get it rotating properly!

John P
10-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Lets all remember that we cannot compare spring rates from car to car. Motion ratio's are almost always different, and that is not to mention all the other variables you must take into account.

IMO, it is best to work with a manufacture or well-known tuner/builder when ordering shock/spring packages. The ability to order a quality set-up that suits YOUR needs is why you pay the extra money.

And one more thing; when buying anything for competition use, consider your skill level and end goals first. Once you've done that, you then know what budget is needed to give you best possible chance at a win, or to just have fun. You will save a lot of money in the long run!

:)

Lee Grimes at Koni is their Shock/spring guru. Had excellent advice and service from him.

JohnP

DavidSim
10-29-2015, 08:48 PM
>>This means more money next year for the best mod you can buy, Practice and instruction... I'm still very much a newbie at all of this!<<

Good call Grant, given you are fairly new this is probably the biggest bang for your buck.

I started racing this year, beforehand though I spent a fair amount on schools/instructors, and practice/lapping days, without touching my car, my gains were steady and measureable.

Good luck sir, enjoy !

Grant Galloway
11-21-2015, 09:03 PM
Well I broke the bank... Ordered Motion Control 2way

Got a good price on , but still well over $4K cdn

Grant