PDA

View Full Version : Race workshop Saturday morning

fastnx
11-09-2015, 10:44 AM
Very good discussion at the race workshop this past Saturday morning, a few minor but productive changes coming for next year. Happy to see the schedule for next year and that GT challenge will be back with a slightly different format.

There was mention of having a meeting for GT sprints in the near future to discuss some sprints specific items. Looking forward to an announcement about when that meeting is taking place.

23Racer
11-09-2015, 10:50 AM
What is the difference in GT Challenge? Moving back to breakout rules? very happy that its coming back.

Thanks,

Eric

fastnx
11-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Yes, moving back to GT sprints style breakout times. The presentation included attendance numbers from past years and the numbers were healthy when breakout times were the rule so they are going back to what worked well in the past.

23Racer
11-09-2015, 12:36 PM
That's just fine and a great compromise. Today is a good day.

Eric

ScotcH
11-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Sigh .... :rolleyes:

Doug P
11-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Presentations also showed massive losses to clubs last year due to low car counts. Everyone needs to work towards bringing out more cars to the grid or we will not be racing down the road.

Schedule is released, 7 events, disappointed to see one of the Mosport events has been dropped. As a local racer on limited budget I always tried to attend all 5 Mosport events. With the drop and change of daye in July I may be forced to only attend 3 now.:(

pferrf1
11-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Any idea when the 2016 Schedule will be published?

23Racer
11-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Just to be clear, I'm happy GT Challenge is coming back. I would prefer performance based classes versus break outs. I will be out with the cars as much as possible next year. The one day format works the best for me.

Eric

DavidSim
11-09-2015, 05:23 PM
You are right on Doug, use it or lose it !!!

I've given up the Sex, Drugs, Rock n Roll thing, I should be able to make most of the events now.

Regards to all my GT Sprints buddies.

terrydale
11-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Presentations also showed massive losses to clubs last year due to low car counts. Everyone needs to work towards bringing out more cars to the grid or we will not be racing down the road.
Schedule is released, 7 events, disappointed to see one of the Mosport events has been dropped. As a local racer on limited budget I always tried to attend all 5 Mosport events. With the drop and change of daye in July I may be forced to only attend 3 now.:(

Hey, Doug!

There are three great opportunities to come out and experience Calabogie Motorsports Park in 2016!

You really should try something different for a change!! Bet you'll have fun! :)

We are the 'Friendly Track' with a world class race track facility and a fantastic operations team who work hard to give you plenty of reasons to want to come back!! :D

Put it on your 'I Just Gotta Do It This Year' List!! ;)

Terry Dale
Race Director
Calabogie Motorsports Park
Motorsport Club of Ottawa
IMSA Porsche GT3 Cup Series

wings2k
11-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Waiting for schedule, but I'm hoping there are 3 "weekends" at calabogie. I'm also on a budget so would love to run 3 out of the 7 races locally. Maybe I'll visit mosport depending on the schedule.

Kcodekid
11-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Hey, Doug!

There are three great opportunities to come out and experience Calabogie Motorsports Park in 2016!

You really should try something different for a change!! Bet you'll have fun! :)

We are the 'Friendly Track' with a world class race track facility and a fantastic operations team who work hard to give you plenty of reasons to want to come back!! :D

Put it on your 'I Just Gotta Do It This Year' List!! ;)

Terry Dale
Race Director
IMSA Porsche GT3 Cup Series

Terry you do a great job promoting CMP and I will put all of your events on my must do list but I need to know that I will not have a sound level problem and your response last year that if it hurts my ears I my have a problem does not work for me so if you guarantee no sound level problem I will sign up for all CMP races right now.

ScotcH
11-09-2015, 08:29 PM
Terry you do a great job promoting CMP and I will put all of your events on my must do list but I need to know that I will not have a sound level problem and your response last year that if it hurts my ears I my have a problem does not work for me so if you guarantee no sound level problem I will sign up for all CMP races right now.

Can guarantee no sound problem ... if you put a muffler on, lol.

terrydale
11-09-2015, 08:34 PM

Let me know what event you are going to be at and I will work with Mike Nilson to do a sound check for you right on the spot. I remember earlier this year putting out the exact rule that we have had in place since 2009 and here it is again straight from our Event Supplementary Regulations:

The permitted sound level for the weekend is 104 db between the hours of 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Friday; 8:00 AM to 6:30 PM Saturday; and 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM Sunday. To ensure compliance, CMP will perform random measurements of vehicles on track on a full acceleration pass from a minimum distance of 50 feet. A mandatory noise restriction that includes no operation of competition engines is in effect from 7:00 PM to 7:00 AM every day.

I also stated that in 2014 we had one car of 176 entries that had an issue and we worked with him and got that resolved. We had two issues this year in 2015. One competitor - who argued that his car was exactly the same as it had been all year - discovered that he had developed a hole in the bottom of the muffler. We found him another muffler courtesy of Mortimer Racing and he didn't miss a session. The other competitor who was over the limit finished his weekend without missing a session. Nobody has ever been sent home that I am aware of since 2009.

Honestly, I have been around long enough to know better than to guarantee that you will have no sound level problem!! Remember that I raced myself for 25 years and used just about every excuse in the book and then some - that is why I am now race official!! ;)

I can say that everything I have stated above is accurate and reflects our wish to have everyone come out, go racing and have fun!

Our Mission Statement is - "Everyone including racers, workers, officials and spectators have to go home Sunday night already making plans to come back next year because they had such a good time at this year's event!".

We mean it and we back it up with action.

Start making those plans!! :)

wings2k
11-09-2015, 09:14 PM
The sound level issue isn't really much of an issue -- just sounds like an excuse to me, like Terry said everyone seems to have no issue passing the test.

If you enjoy deafening your fellow racers you will have an issue, if I can drive beside your car and not go deaf you are probably okay.

23Racer
11-10-2015, 10:00 AM
I really want to do an event at Calabogie this year. Terry and the MCO makes such an effort, it seems like I need to go there to experience it and support them. All I need to do is swap out the sorta muffler on the Cougar (Moroso Spiral Core) to a real muffler and I should be good to go. I may also stick a turn down on the pipe.

Just a question for a Calabogie newbie, any race fuel on site or do we need to bring our own? If I am going to tow for 7 hours, (just joking I know its 4 and a half) I want to make sure things are prepared.

Eric

fastnx
11-10-2015, 10:15 AM
There is a gas pump at Calabogie. I didn't pay too much attention to the grades available but I fully expect they would have pump gas and race fuel.

I would almost put Calabogie on par with getting a race license. After you drive Calabogie you will be kicking yourself for not doing it 10 years earlier.

terrydale
11-10-2015, 10:51 AM
I really want to do an event at Calabogie this year. Terry and the MCO makes such an effort, it seems like I need to go there to experience it and support them. All I need to do is swap out the sorta muffler on the Cougar (Moroso Spiral Core) to a real muffler and I should be good to go. I may also stick a turn down on the pipe.
Just a question for a Calabogie newbie, any race fuel on site or do we need to bring our own? If I am going to tow for 7 hours, (just joking I know its 4 and a half) I want to make sure things are prepared. Eric

Eric, the exhaust downturn is a good plan. Exhaust exiting on the right side also good.

And yes, there is always race fuel on site. Always a good idea to call the track few days out at 613-752-1252 just to make sure.

You're running out of excuses!! :D

terrydale
11-10-2015, 11:01 AM
I would almost put Calabogie on par with getting a race license. After you drive Calabogie you will be kicking yourself for not doing it 10 years earlier.

Cool observation!!

There are 20 turns at Calabogie Motorsports Park, most with a common theme:

* For most of the turns, you are well into it before you see where it goes so you really need to take the time to learn the line at a slower pace before trying it at full warp speed.

* You need to watch the flaggers' eyes when approaching a turn - if they are really wide and they are waving the flag really hard, you might be well advised to back it down a notch!

* It is hard to do but you have to hold off on your turn-in or you will end up going off-track. Several turns - because of the blind nature described above - make you want to start your turn-in too soon. You have to really learn each turn and trust that it is the same as it was the previous lap - hold it - hold it - OK TURN.

Awesome once you get it!! Now throw in some traffic!! :eek:

gianpaolo
11-10-2015, 12:38 PM

Doug, do you know where the schedule is posted?

Doug P
11-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Doug, do you know where the schedule is posted?

Its not posted, handout for those attending meeting.

racerguy19
11-10-2015, 01:38 PM
If someone was at the meeting and got a handout, could they list the dates on this thread??
Also, if there are three at Calabogie that may be a challenge. I live in Waterloo so the drive will be close to 7 hours pulling a 24' enclosed trailer. I took my race license school there in '09 and thought it was an amazing track. It will be a 5 day trip for a weekend there, 2 travel days, Friday lapping, and the weekend.
That will be an expensive weekend since we enter 2 GT Sprints vehicles.

We'll see....

Steve
Cornerstone Courier Racing
GT Sprints #54 GT5 & #5 GT2

terrydale
11-10-2015, 03:02 PM
If someone was at the meeting and got a handout, could they list the dates on this thread??
Also, if there are three at Calabogie that may be a challenge. I live in Waterloo so the drive will be close to 7 hours pulling a 24' enclosed trailer. I took my race license school there in '09 and thought it was an amazing track. It will be a 5 day trip for a weekend there, 2 travel days, Friday lapping, and the weekend.
That will be an expensive weekend since we enter 2 GT Sprints vehicles.
We'll see....Steve, Cornerstone Courier Racing, GT Sprints #54 GT5 & #5 GT2

2016 is going to be a very exciting year at Calabogie Motorsports Park!!

First, there are two CASC Regional Championship Races - a TWO DAY Race Event - the Inaugural 'Kyle Nash Memorial Regional Race Weekend' on June 4/5 for GT Sprints, GT Challenge, Formula Libre and Radicals. Also on the schedule, something that will be announced next week!! Stay tuned!! :)

Second, the traditional MCO Ted Powell Race for all CASC Regional Championship Race Groups on August 27/28.

There will be a season opening race event on May 14/15 for several race series that will be announced in the next few days. Also on the wschedule is an Invitational Non-Championship GT Sprints and Formula Libre Program with lots of track time.

And more to come!!!

Calabogie Motorsports Park - www.calabogiemotorsports.com>

No more excuses!!! :D

DavidSim
11-10-2015, 08:34 PM
>>If someone was at the meeting and got a handout, could they list the dates on this thread??<<

Hi Steve, this is the handout I picked up at the Race Workshop.

paule
11-10-2015, 08:38 PM
The 2016 Schedule as presented at the workshop is as follows :
May 6-8 SMP CASC School and Spring Fling
May 14-15 CTMP BEMC
June 4 CMP MCO Limited Grids
July 9-10 SMP DAC
July 30-31 CTMP BARC
Aug 27-28 CMP MCO
Sept 17-18 CTMP BEMC
Oct 1-2 CTMP CASC

2016 entry fees will remain at the 2015 level
The entire workshop presentation will be posted on the web shortly

Paul Einarson BARC Race Director
Chair Ontario Race Organizers

DavidSim
11-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Thanks Paul,

I've been waiting for a chance to use this:

racerguy19
11-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Thanks David!

Steve
Cornerstone Courier Racing
GT Sprints #54 GT5

egroenke
11-11-2015, 03:09 PM
The full deck from the workshop is posted now. Big thanks to getting that up

fastnx
11-11-2015, 06:29 PM
My favorite part of the presentation:

2016 Driver Incentive
‐ Anyone holding a CASC‐OR competition
licence that enters the BEMC May 14‐15 event
will receive a $100 voucher that may be used
against their entry fee for MCOís Jun 4, DACís
Jul 9‐10 or BARCís Jul 30‐31 event

Maverickflyer
11-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Was there any decision on the weekend format for GT challange? Is it still a one day format?

Doug P
11-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Was there any decision on the weekend format for GT challange? Is it still a one day format?

there was talk of it being on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Personally I think this is a mistake, Sunday is a busier day with two races for all grids.

Also with Challenge using the same class structure I would consider running it in addition to Sprints but not at the risk of failure and missing Sprint final. Saturday race gives time for fixes.

20 minute practice sessions are a waste of track time. Those sessions are not for practice, they are for warming up and prepping car for race. 10 minutes for a few laps is plenty. Same for qualifying. If a driver needs to practice it should be on a Friday or lapping day. Put those minutes into the races.

terrydale
11-12-2015, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=Doug P;251990]there was talk of it being on Sunday instead of Saturday. Personally I think this is a mistake, Sunday is a busier day with two races for all grids. Also with Challenge using the same class structure I would consider running it in addition to Sprints but not at the risk of failure and missing Sprint final. Saturday race gives time for fixes. QUOTE]

Sounds like the 'Kyle Nash Memorial Race Weekend at CMP June 4/5 is a natural then.
* GT Challenge on Saturday - Practice = 20 minutes; Qualifying = 25 minutes; Race = 60 minutes - 105 minutes of track time.
* GT Sprint - Practice, Qualifying and Race #1 on Saturday; Warm-up, Races #2 + #3 on Sunday - 105 minutes of track time.

Four classes so there's lots of time between GTC and GTS for driver changes.

One more reason, one less excuse!! ;)

shamrock
11-14-2015, 12:11 AM
there was talk of it being on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Personally I think this is a mistake, Sunday is a busier day with two races for all grids.

Also with Challenge using the same class structure I would consider running it in addition to Sprints but not at the risk of failure and missing Sprint final. Saturday race gives time for fixes.

20 minute practice sessions are a waste of track time. Those sessions are not for practice, they are for warming up and prepping car for race. 10 minutes for a few laps is plenty. Same for qualifying. If a driver needs to practice it should be on a Friday or lapping day. Put those minutes into the races.

actually that's not true. Saturday is always the busier day. Always.

terrydale
11-14-2015, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=Doug P;251990]there was talk of it being on Sunday instead of Saturday. Personally I think this is a mistake, Sunday is a busier day with two races for all grids. Also with Challenge using the same class structure I would consider running it in addition to Sprints but not at the risk of failure and missing Sprint final. Saturday race gives time for fixes. QUOTE]

Sounds like the 'Kyle Nash Memorial Race Weekend at CMP June 4/5 is a natural then.
GT Challenge on Saturday - Practice = 20 minutes; Qualifying = 25 minutes; Race = 60 minutes - 105 minutes of track time.
* GT Sprint - Practice, Qualifying and Race #1 on Saturday; Warm-up, Races #2 + #3 on Sunday - 105 minutes of track time. Four classes so there's lots of time between GTC and GTS for driver changes. One more reason, one less excuse!! ;)

C'mon, Doug!!

* One Day GT Challenge!!
* On Saturday!
* Great track!
* Back home by Saturday night!
* 105 minutes of track time!
* Lots of time on the schedule for the same car to run in both GT Sprints and GT Challenge!!

Tell me what else is stopping you from coming out on June 4th and I'll fix it!!! You've gotta be running out of reasons why you can't make it!! :)

Terry Dale
Race Director
IMSA Porsche GT3 Cup Canada Series

Doug P
11-14-2015, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=terrydale;251991]

C'mon, Doug!!

* One Day GT Challenge!!
* On Saturday!
* Great track!
* Back home by Saturday night!
* 105 minutes of track time!
* Lots of time on the schedule for the same car to run in both GT Sprints and GT Challenge!!

Tell me what else is stopping you from coming out on June 4th and I'll fix it!!! You've gotta be running out of reasons why you can't make it!! :)

Terry Dale
Race Director
IMSA Porsche GT3 Cup Canada Series

Sound level checks at Mosport in May or even spring fling would help.

Rob Martin
11-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Agree with sound checks before at Mosport. At this point I plan to be there. If I do have a sound issue I'd like to know in advance so I can address it before I go. For the most part I'm a one man band so the day is already packed for me with just the usual stuff.

Rob Martin
GT1 Camaro #167

terrydale
11-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Agree with sound checks before at Mosport. At this point I plan to be there. If I do have a sound issue I'd like to know in advance so I can address it before I go. For the most part I'm a one man band so the day is already packed for me with just the usual stuff. Rob Martin GT1 Camaro #167

Hey, Guys. I have been responding to these concerns with the same pro-active and consistent message for the past several years.

Mike Nilson, who as you know is at most regional races, has consistently offered to have his sound meter at any CTMP event so he can take sound readings for whoever asks him to. Might I respectfully suggest that you might want to be a little bit ahead of it by checking in with him prior to the event and then again at the event so that he is aware of your request and when you are going to be on track looking for a reading to be taken.

I have described how in 2014 we had one car not make the sound limit and, after we all worked with him to make it work, he completed the event without further issue. I have also described how at this year's event we had two cars break out with one finding out that his muffler had blown a hole in itself. We came up with a loaner muffler and he didn't miss one session. The second car we worked with and he also didn't miss one session.

We have been holding regional races at Calabogie Motorsports Park since 2007 and I cannot recall ONE CAR being sent home that was unable to compete due to the sound limit. Just calculating the numbers for the Ted Powell Regional Race alone, that is 1350 cars!!!!! Not one sent home for a sound issue!!!

Folks - you know that we work very hard to put on a great event for regional racers and try to eliminate any reason for anyone not going home completely satisfied with their experience at CMP. I can't help it if you hit something or your car craps out. I can make sure that the event runs safely, to the schedule, at a very high level of professionalism and with a respect and appreciation for the racers who we consider our customers.

I am a racer - 25 years - I know what its like. Let's look for all of the ways how we can get out and go racing. Anyone can look for excuses and reasons why we cannot. That is simply not helpful or productive.

Respectfully

Terry