PDA

View Full Version : Some Vintage Mosport Love

23Racer
12-04-2015, 11:01 AM
A great video on Youtube of the 1991 Firehawk Race at Mosport. Big takeaways are how different the track is now,how much safer it is, how slowly they were going then and how much I miss Tom. Lots of names from the past.

I have all the TSN Firehawk races from the next year on tape. I really need to find the time to convert them and post them for everyone to see. I also have about 10 hours on in-car from 1992 as well including Mosport, Tremblant, Toronto Indy and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Great times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGLfwINzBpI&feature=share

Eric

terrydale
12-04-2015, 11:39 AM
A great video on Youtube of the 1991 Firehawk Race at Mosport. Big takeaways are how different the track is now,how much safer it is, how slowly they were going then and how much I miss Tom. Lots of names from the past.
I have all the TSN Firehawk races from the next year on tape. I really need to find the time to convert them and post them for everyone to see. I also have about 10 hours on in-car from 1992 as well including Mosport, Tremblant, Toronto Indy and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Great times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGLfwINzBpI&feature=share
Eric

Yup, great stuff from the 'Good Old Days' (sorry to those from a more recent era who look at those of us with grey hair and just shake their heads! ;)). Remember back then when we had the following NATIONAL Series:
* Players/GM
* Honda Michelin
* Firestone Firehawk
* Export A F2000
* Porsche Turbo Cup
* Motorola Cup
* F1600 Series

What the heck happened??? :eek:

1991 was a slow year for me as I had opened my own restoration shop and was a little bit focused on that. I did do an event as Course Clerk at Tremblant and was Race Director at the Moosehead Grand Prix in Halifax though.

The next year I was the Series Chief Steward for the Firehawk Series and that was seriously a lot of fun.

And yes, Eric, Tom Hnatiw - the Motorsports Director for Firestone Canada was a huge part of that program! Bigger than life! Endless stories! Huge laugh! Hand crushing handshake!!

He is the one who got me into being a race official at the pro level when SCCA's SuperTouring Series kicked off in 1996. He was working on that program and brought my name into the discussion for consideration as the Series Chief Steward for that - and it all took off from there. RIP, Tom.

And I am really going to dig into my files from 1992, Eric. I am positive that you still owe me a drive-through penalty! :p

23Racer
12-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Terry, you forgot to mention that they all paid money as prize funds. If you were Richard Spenard or Ron Fellows, you could earn a decent living back then.

Money, tv coverage, factory teams, great events, a very different era.

Eric

terrydale
12-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Terry, you forgot to mention that they all paid money as prize funds. If you were Richard Spenard or Ron Fellows, you could earn a decent living back then. Money, tv coverage, factory teams, great events, a very different era. Eric

Yup, excellent point!

Still...........understanding that motorsports everywhere is financially challenged - to go from that to where we are now is quite a kick.

Although, there is some glimmer of hope what with the Nissan Micra Series, CTCC, Formula Tour 1600, Toyo F1600 - all doing great jobs of building good quality programs at some very significant venues. Good on them. They surely deserve our support. That is exactly what is needed to give the next generation something to aim for.

observer
12-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Wow that looks so different.

Good lord there is no run off exit 1 DL (for the tunnel), and DL in Turn 9 is so close to the track too. The pedestrian bridge at 4 really blocks the view - today it's a good opportunity to gauge how far ahead other competitors might be if they are up in 5B - always a good motivator for me. Not great for safety either - other than the marshal station at the top of 4, you couldn't see what was ahead until you were half-way down the hill.

And I had heard about the hump at 7 being cut down after an aerodynamic flip over sometime before the 2000 refurb. Now I see how steep it used to be.

-r. (started going to Mosport in 2001, racing in 2003)

terrydale
12-06-2015, 08:37 AM
The pedestrian bridge at 4 really blocks the view - today it's a good opportunity to gauge how far ahead other competitors might be if they are up in 5B - always a good motivator for me. Not great for safety either - other than the marshal station at the top of 4, you couldn't see what was ahead until you were half-way down the hill.

That bridge at Turn 4 was the place where an MCO member - Jackie Fairbairn -got airborne in his F1600 and actually hit the bridge before he landed.

And I remember once racing the Dailu somewhere around 1970 and scaring the Flaggers standing on the grass just on the inside of Turn 5 Driver's Right when I got all messed up and drove right at them sending then running. The next lap, I went a little slower, waved an apology at them and hollered 'Sorry'! It was very up close and personal between Flaggers and Drivers back then! :)

GT106
12-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Terry,
Go back even further, The VW Golf series. Now I'm really dating myself.

terrydale
12-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Terry,
Go back even further, The VW Golf series. Now I'm really dating myself.

Ah........"Les Lapins"!!! :D

I got myself in a bit of trouble way back then when I used the PA to call "Tous Les Lapins sur la Fause Grille immediatement!" at Le Circuit Mont Tremblant. It actually made the Le Journal de Montreal newspaper the next day courtesy of their reporter M. Pierre Lecours who made reference to me as 'L'Anglo' qui fait l'appel'!! Fortunately I was born and raised in Montreal so my Quebec passport let me get away with it!! ;)

Steven Scala
12-07-2015, 11:31 AM
What the heck happened??? :eek:

As Bob Hanna once told me, it's pretty sad. Basically, Bernie outfoxed us bumpkins and we never really recovered. We can blame the tobacco sponsorship ban all we like, but really it's a matter of the contracts having run out and never having been re-negotiated. Wikipedia: the rise and fall of CASC as a national body. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Automobile_Sport_Clubs)

#ThanksBernie

terrydale
12-09-2015, 06:23 PM
As Bob Hanna once told me, it's pretty sad. Basically, Bernie outfoxed us bumpkins and we never really recovered. We can blame the tobacco sponsorship ban all we like, but really it's a matter of the contracts having run out and never having been re-negotiated. Wikipedia: the rise and fall of CASC as a national body. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Automobile_Sport_Clubs) #ThanksBernie

Ah, politics in motorsports. First time I've ever heard of that! :eek:

maxco41
12-11-2015, 05:04 PM
This is so awesome. My dad ran the Firehawk series around 90-91 in a Trans Am. I used to LOVE going to Mosport with my dad on race weekends. This brings back such great memories.
Thanks for posting.

MikedT
12-18-2015, 09:36 AM
I was on the pit crew for #20 Terry Martel/Rick Hayward and couldn't believe the quality and sheer number of racers on my first weekend in 1990.
The Firehawk series was good but it was kind of in the shadow of some incredible classes of racing.
The racing and the talent at the track was world class...also crewed on Export A Formula 2000 series, Paul Tracy, Jimmy Vasser and many other future stars on the grid.
It also paid $10,000 to win!

spnx
01-14-2016, 12:04 PM
Thank you so much for posting this!

So good to see Bob Armstrong out there. I miss him, and I miss crewing for him.

I watched the whole thing, start to finish.

23Racer
01-15-2016, 10:31 AM
Well, I have the first 3 races converted to discs, I had to go buy a VHS to DVD recorder, and they are surprisingly good. Now I just have to figure out the best way to convert them to Youtube files that everyone can access. Any tips that wont use up half of the memory on my laptop?

After watching all of these again, man Tom was excellent in the booth and WOW the racing was great. I also have watched the bazillion hours of in-car from our Suzuki and even though I am tired at staring at the back of Richard Kamahara's RX7 and the Buso Bros Talon and a couple of CRX's, its amazing at how you quickly remember all the nuances and issues from the weekends. Also, how slippery those Firehawk Tires could be if you started a race on stickers in the rain.

Eric