PDA

View Full Version : Accomodations for 2016 Events

Grant Galloway
02-13-2016, 12:12 PM
Just curious, I plan to attend 5 of the 6 events this year and run the series. I will be skipping mosport as it's just too much for my experience.

So that leaves the 2 day event at DDT and 2 day event at Shannonville.

My question is, how many guys spend the night in hotels vs camping out at the parks? Trying to figure out the direction I want to go! I like the idea of staying trackside, but wondering what kind of amenities there are?

Thanks in advance.

Grant

k.beaty
02-13-2016, 05:06 PM
I always camp at the track. Both DDT and Shannonville have showers on site. Shannonville has a food concession that's open for breakfast, but DDT does not so make sure you pack some food and drinks. There's usually a bonfire going to hang out at in the evenings.

Slowpoke
02-14-2016, 06:04 PM
I recommend that you do the camping thing if you enjoy it. It was good fun!

I now do the bed and breakfast thing usually... more comfy, still social, and a full hot breakfast are pretty good things!

Grant Galloway
02-15-2016, 02:03 PM
Thanks Guys, I will probably camp trackside.. Thinking that if I don't go home after two days completely exhausted I probably didn't have a good time!

Looking into a motorhome rental for at least one of these two day events..

Racing, BBQ and Beer (at night) these are a few of my favourite things!

Grant

2TH PWR
02-15-2016, 09:57 PM
I always camp at the track. Both DDT and Shannonville have showers on site. Shannonville has a food concession that's open for breakfast, but DDT does not so make sure you pack some food and drinks. There's usually a bonfire going to hang out at in the evenings.

Food tip: Sour Cream 'n Onion Chips and Cinnamon Toast Crunch ensure victory.

iamthewheelman
02-16-2016, 12:18 AM
The after event festivities at Shannonville are probably one of the best parts of the year for me. The bonfire this year had slightly less attendance than normal but its always a good time!

alexb29
02-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Food tip: Sour Cream 'n Onion Chips and Cinnamon Toast Crunch ensure victory.

Duly and enthusiastically noted!!! Lol!

Time Attack Director
02-20-2016, 09:14 AM
This is a great thread!

What are your thoughts if we put together a thread just for accommodations/food/gas/repairs for EACH of the locations this year?

It would also give us some feedback for suggestions to improve the accommodations (lets be nice now).

Thanks!

Yellow Viggen
02-21-2016, 06:55 PM
I would be interested in any recommendations for DDT /CTMP events. Last year I stayed at Quality Hotel in Oshawa. This was the only hotel with vacancies that I could find and reasonably affordable. Unfortunately, last year they had renovations in full swing which took away from peace an quiet I was seeking. I am not sure if they are done. The drawback is the long drive from the track&back.
Martin W. Acura Integra #283

almcphee
02-21-2016, 08:36 PM
There is a Holiday Inn Express opening in downtown Oshawa April1 at 67 Simcoe North.
There is a La Quinta at 63 King St East in Oshawa.
Both of these locations will not have large parking lots , but are inexpensive and close to Mosport.
The UOIT /Durham College residence has rooms available in summer for short term occupancy......Call 905-721-2000 for details

Time Attack Director
02-22-2016, 12:49 PM
When searching for a hotel/motel for CTMP use your favourite hotel search tool and search in Whitby, Oshawa or Clarington which are all by the 401.

These are useful sites for travelling to any of the tracks:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ good for ratings on how the hotels do

http://www.trivago.ca/ also list Bed & Breakfast

https://www.ontariotravel.net/en/home is the Province of Ontario Visitors guide and list bed and breakfast.

Trip Advisor is great for finding restaurants and the others are good for keeping the spouse busy with attractions while she travels with me.

Don't forget, CAA gives about a 10% discount at most hotels, sometime this can beat the online rate anywhere.

I also find that calling the hotel directly gives you a better price than going online.

Remember.. Happy wife/spouse/significant other... happy racing life!

dubya_rx
02-22-2016, 02:58 PM
The UOIT /Durham College residence has rooms available in summer for short term occupancy......Call 905-721-2000 for details

I've stayed at the Durham residences before for a Time Attack event. I'd do it again.

wparsons
02-22-2016, 03:05 PM
I've stayed at the Durham residences before for a Time Attack event. I'd do it again.

The north campus is pretty close to the track too, probably a 25 minute drive.