PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry

SpecM78
02-14-2016, 09:29 AM
Hi,

I've been racing Spec Miata for the last few years down here in the Maritimes, but things aren't looking good for that series in 2016. So I'm casting around for some place to do an event or two this year. Does anybody know where a Spec Miata would fit in your events, and (if so) what additional scrutineering/safety stuff might be required to get on track? The car had a valid SCCA logbook when I bought it, but we've switched over to using a local one for the the last three years.

Also, would my regional race license in Atlantic Canada would be recognized in Ontario?

Pardon me for asking about this stuff if the answers are obvious, but but I was a newbie when I first got involved 4 years ago, and I find the organizational structure(s) for road racing in Canada to be kind of baffling. Any advice is appreciated.

Andy Mitchell
Spec Miata #78

nepeanhearing
02-14-2016, 09:42 AM
http://www.mco.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=17729

These guys should be able to give you some insight into the Ottawa/Calabogie scene. I don't race with them, I am in Formula Libre, but I know a lot of them, and they are genuinely nice people, who look like they are having a lot of fun!

Rich Kent

Shark
02-14-2016, 10:27 AM
Hi Andy.

Would love to have you. Come on out and race in the GT Sprints Series.

GT4 or GT5 class is probably where you would be.

And we would recognize your license. All we would do is a quick written test to make sure you are current with all the safety stuff, and a quick observation.

As far as the car, Dave King is the chief scrutineer. But everything you need to know is on this website in the road racing rules section.
Although the rules look like a lot of reading, it's not. Pick the sections that pertain to you and your car.

Feel free to ask questions or email me directly if you like.

DEK
02-14-2016, 03:43 PM
Ray, I've sent you a "PM"

DAVE KING

SpecM78
02-14-2016, 03:55 PM
Thank you both for the prompt responses.

The Calabogie thing sounds pretty neat, definitely something to consider.

With regard to the CASC rule book, I scratched my head a bit because I had already looked around your forum for a link to the rules, without any success. Then I figured out that they were on the separate CASC web page. And actually, I should have known that all along anyway- it's how they do things down here, too.

Thanks again!

Gunter Schmidt
02-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Hi Andy,
CASC recognizes the Atlantic Region issued race licenses. Come on down, you can enter sprint's (3 x 20 minutes race and or the 1 hr race, here is the link to our web side http://casc.on.ca/roadracing you can find the rules in the rules and bulletin sections.:)

99Racer
02-17-2016, 01:40 AM
I expect you would be somewhere in GT5 with a spec Miata.
We ran a 99 Miata in 2011-2012 with the Spec Miata suspension kit. No intake plate, non stock header and R888 tires. By the end of second season we were just short of break out in GT5.

SpecM78
02-17-2016, 07:54 AM
Cool! I appreciate the info/help that has been given.

Since I originally posted my inquiry I have been contacted by a couple of my SM colleagues with similar thoughts, and it now looks like there might be a little group of us interested in doing a road trip together. At the moment this is just talk, but (who knows) it might all come together. Anyway, a couple of the folks involved have way more experience than I, so I've gained some good local sources for info and help. I never realized there were so many different places to race a 25 year old racecar before... I just wish I lived a bit closer to where all the action is.

Anyway, thanks again.

Andy Mitchell
Spec Miata #78

terrydale
02-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Cool! I appreciate the info/help that has been given.
Since I originally posted my inquiry I have been contacted by a couple of my SM colleagues with similar thoughts, and it now looks like there might be a little group of us interested in doing a road trip together. At the moment this is just talk, but (who knows) it might all come together. Anyway, a couple of the folks involved have way more experience than I, so I've gained some good local sources for info and help. I never realized there were so many different places to race a 25 year old racecar before... I just wish I lived a bit closer to where all the action is.
Anyway, thanks again. Andy Mitchell, Spec Miata #78

Hey Andy! Make sure you keep a visit to Calabogie Motorsports Park on your 2016 schedule! Talk to Leigh Pettipas and Lucas Strackerjan about how much fun it is and say 'Hi' to Wayne Schnare, Walter Tennant and Derek Lugar for me!!

May Race Fest - GT Sprint Invitational
Kyle Nash Memorial Race (June) - CASC Regional
Ted Powell Race (August) - CASC Regional

Check out all the action right here - http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/

Terry Dale
Race Director
1990-1995 Moosehead Grand Prix

DavidSim
02-17-2016, 09:58 AM
>>Talk to Leigh Pettipas<<

Leigh is a quality guy (ask the local racer that Leigh helped out with a rocker arm so graciously at CTMP), and a good racer too (with an impressive car), I hope we'll see him and his family again this season.

All you East Coast racers get your cars here to CTMP and CMP this year !!!

terrydale
02-17-2016, 11:40 AM
>>Talk to Leigh Pettipas<< Leigh is a quality guy (ask the local racer that Leigh helped out with a rocker arm so graciously at CTMP), and a good racer too (with an impressive car), I hope we'll see him and his family again this season. All you East Coast racers get your cars here to CTMP and CMP this year !!!

I first met Leigh when his father Eugene was racing his Corvette at the Moosehead Grand Prix way back in the early 90's. I have seen and worked with Leigh many times since in his capacity as a Race Engineer for teams in Trans Am, Grand Am, ALMS and much more - currently with Extreme Motorsports. His brother Aaron is an extremely good racer as well. The mutant racing gene was definitely passed on!! :)