PDA

View Full Version : Wheels & Wheel Spacer Question

Grant Galloway
02-21-2016, 10:49 AM
So yesterday I took advantage of the warm day and test fitted my new Enkei 17X9 35 offset wheels with Pirelli Trofeo 255/40/17 up front on my Civic.

They fit, however they rub just a little on the rubber isolator on the old coilovers, this is with a 5mm spacer. The new MCS setup once installed might be a little narrower

These are very wide, however don't protrude the outside of the fenders.. It looks as though they will rub, at least the fender liner. The Civic has a plastic liner up front, thinking of just removing this?? Looks like if you rolled the fender you would have to remove this!!

My question is has anyone removed fender liners? is this against the rules? also when it comes to using spacers, what should I be looking for? Are the hub centric necessary? I should note, I do have ARP extended studs!

Thanks
Grant

Slowpoke
02-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Your front fender liners probably protect headlight wiring from stones water Exposure. That's not to say that you can't replace it with your own liner.

Given the thickness of the typical OE liner, I can't imagine that removing it will save you very much room.

Saj5DJ
02-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Not sure what the design on the Civic is.

When I rolled the Miata inner fenders I removed the screws or bolts holding the liner in place, secured it with zip ties instead and hit it with a heat gun to move it out of the way.

Figured removing it may bait protests and wasn't legal to remove for autoslalom in any case.

ScubaSteve8
02-23-2016, 01:59 AM
You will 100% want hubcentric spacers. Pending how much they rub, you'd be surprised how much room you can gain with a fender roller and a heat gun to help reshape the fender liner. Fortunately the RX8 doesn't have many such problems, but I've helped enough stance bros make magic happen...

KLZEMX6
02-23-2016, 10:26 AM
http://novustech.ca/

There's your guy for wheel spacers, I've been using them for years and the quality is great. He's in Cambridge as well!

Grant Galloway
02-23-2016, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys.. First thing I will need to do is install the new Motion Control Suspension and my new larger brakes.. Thinking I will max out the camber using the top hats, that should lean the strut inwards a little and make some room!

I will look into the spacers, I got some relatively cheap; but not a fan of them!

I have the rear fenders rolled in quite a bit, but haven't touched the fronts..

alexb29
02-24-2016, 01:40 PM
I'll share a little trick I used on the Protégé for just that little extra clearance between wheel/tire and strut:

Use cam-bolts on the top strut-to-knuckle bolts and adjust them to add a small amount of positive camber to the wheel (knuckle). This will give you more clearance between the wheel and the strut. Then use the camber plates on the struts to dial you camber back into spec again.

The downside to this method is it limits the amount of negative camber you can give the wheels while maintaining your wheel-to-strut clearance. On my Protégé it wasn't a big deal - I was running -2.5 degrees on my setup, and I was able to achieve this using a small hub-centric spacer (w/ARP studs), small amount of positive camber on the knuckle, and almost maxed-out negative on the camber plates.