PDA

View Full Version : Weekend grid schedule

metric1
02-21-2016, 07:25 PM
Has it been decided what day the 1 hour GT Challenge race will be run? There was point made at the AGM that it was being moved to sunday. Can someone please clarify? Is the BEMC 3 hour War bonnet Enduro still on the schedule?

terrydale
02-22-2016, 01:07 AM
Ian

I can say that currently there are 8 race groups at MCO's Ted Powell Race in August and the only way that is going to work - and it will work! - is with the GT Challenge running Practice, qualifying and the 60 minute race on Sunday.

Not sure about the other events.

Terry

By the way, Quebec's SuperProduction won't be there so there is lots of room for every GT Challenge car that wants to come out!

terrydale
02-22-2016, 08:01 AM
On the 'Kyle Nash Memorial Weekend' at Calabogie Motorsports Park on June 4/5, the GT Challenge will be on Saturday.

Attached is the schedule for that event.

GT106
02-23-2016, 09:55 AM
Too Bad Terry. To sit around from Friday until Sunday does not appeal to me, So I will have to pass on the Challenge Race at the Ted Powell weekend. In addition I cant see guys driving from West of Bowmanville and having to drive back late on Sunday. I have the feeling that you wont have many entrants. Just my opinion, I have No facts to back this up. It will be the first Ted Powell I have missed in years.

thekid
02-23-2016, 12:16 PM
Too Bad Terry. To sit around from Friday until Sunday does not appeal to me, So I will have to pass on the Challenge Race at the Ted Powell weekend. In addition I cant see guys driving from West of Bowmanville and having to drive back late on Sunday. I have the feeling that you wont have many entrants. Just my opinion, I have No facts to back this up. It will be the first Ted Powell I have missed in years.

Why do you have to drive out Friday to sit around on Saturday, why can't you head out Saturday afternoon/evening?

terrydale
02-23-2016, 01:45 PM

The challenge is in making sure that the regional racers have a place to race and fitting all 8 CASC Regional race groups is a schedule-maker's worst nightmare. Every CASC race group has confirmed that they are coming to the Ted Powell. That is a good thing - and that is a bad thing!! Getting everybody's practice, qualifying and one race in on a Saturday PLUS 100 minutes for GT Challenge is a huge challenge - like pretty much impossible. The saying "10 lbs of poop into a 5 lb bag" certainly fits here. Starting Saturday at 8:30 AM, 35 minute lunch, last checkered flag at 5:50 PM with no breaks in between. And that assumes that there will not be any huge Exxon Valdez moments or other crisis. All that - and with no GT Challenge!

Running races only on Sunday opens up some time and allows for a full GT Challenge program. That includes making sure that anyone doubling up with GT Sprint car has enough time between sessions to do the driver change-over and get the car ready for the next session.

I hear what you are saying. Just trying to explain and describe what we as the organizers go through to deliver what you, the racers, want. Its all about track time and going racing - I get that. At the end of the day, without the support of the racers - as measured by entries, translated into revenue - the club cannot support running a regional race. Its that simple. The goal is to try to break even. The very real risk is that it will not. And for a volunteer, non-profit club run by people who do not receive anything other than a lunch each day, taking that risk is getting more and more problematic.

We all do this for the fun of participating in motorsport in some way and also for being able to meet and work with some pretty neat people. As we know, the current situation in regional racing needs everyone's support and sometimes that requires a bit of a stretch from the norm. That is just today's reality.

Respectfully submitted.

Terry

terrydale
02-23-2016, 01:46 PM
Why do you have to drive out Friday to sit around on Saturday, why can't you head out Saturday afternoon/evening?

Now that is an excellent question!! :rolleyes:

metric1
02-23-2016, 02:07 PM
Terry, would it not be possible to include GT Challenge practice and qualifying with Sprints? Frankly that would free-up at least 40 minutes in time at a minimum. I for one, don't have a problem with the idea of shared track time. Cars are cars! It would be pretty easy to sort qualifying times, considering there are now only 5 classes in total.

luker0
02-23-2016, 03:46 PM
Now that is an excellent question!! :rolleyes:

Couple of things come to mind:

Mandatory 7:30AM drivers meeting on Saturday morning :D
Paddock parking and setup would be impossible on Saturday.
Car setup on Friday test day to make sure racers not from CMP have a chance to catch up to us locals :D

Likely other reasons

Rob Martin
02-23-2016, 04:13 PM
Terry, I attended the inaugural Ted Powell weekend and at that time paddock space was very limited and in some cases trailers could not be accommodated in the paddock. Since that time has more space become available, or are there still some limitations?

Rob Martin
GT1 Camaro 167

terrydale
02-23-2016, 04:58 PM
Terry, I attended the inaugural Ted Powell weekend and at that time paddock space was very limited and in some cases trailers could not be accommodated in the paddock. Since that time has more space become available, or are there still some limitations? Rob Martin, GT1 Camaro 167

Hi Rob.

Good points. However, check this out!
ENTRIES:
2009 - 191 PLUS CTCC with a lot of big rigs!!! Total entry was 235 as I recall.
2010 - 173
2012 - 218
2013 - 190
2014 - 186
2015 - 148. That makes for a whole lot more room to work with!!!
2016 - It would be great to have more but the reality is that we are hoping to maintain the 2015 entry.

Summary - We have lots of room.

terrydale
02-23-2016, 05:09 PM
Couple of things come to mind:

Mandatory 7:30AM drivers meeting on Saturday morning :D
Car setup on Friday test day to make sure racers not from CMP have a chance to catch up to us locals :D
Likely other reasons

Luc

Thank you for the feedback but the answers to those are easy.

Mandatory 7:30AM drivers meeting on Saturday morning
*** So, we have a GT Challenge-specific Driver's Meeting Sunday morning before the first on-track session at 9:00 AM

*** We have a pretty good paddock team who map everything out literally months ahead of the event. They would create an area for GT Challenge for whenever they arrive - like dedicating the lower paddock for that class

Car setup on Friday test day to make sure racers not from CMP have a chance to catch up to us locals
***Well, that really is up to the individual racer BUT remember that there is a GT Challenge Race at Calabogie on June 4 + 5. Maybe the GT Challenge racer could write down everything he found out from that event and take it with him when he goes back there in August? ;)

(*)Likely other reasons[/QUOTE]
***I am sure that there are lots of reasons (excuses?) - if so, let me know and I'll work on them for you. You know that I am all about working very hard to make it easy to go racing at Calabogie Motorsports Park! Let's work on ways that we can make it happen rather than identifying all of the reasons why we cannot!!

Remember, two GT Challenge races at Calabogie Motorsports Park in 2016!!
June 4/5 - Kyle Nash Memorial Race
August 20/21 - Ted Powell Race

We are almost through the February Blahs!!

Let's go RACIN'!!! :D

terrydale
02-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Terry, would it not be possible to include GT Challenge practice and qualifying with Sprints? Frankly that would free-up at least 40 minutes in time at a minimum. I for one, don't have a problem with the idea of shared track time. Cars are cars! It would be pretty easy to sort qualifying times, considering there are now only 5 classes in total.

Ian, interesting idea!

Yes, it would find 40 minutes on Saturday that is jammed up tight right now but I'd still have to find time for the Challenge race. Right now there is no extra time to get everything done on the Saturday.

Thanks! Let me chew that one around a bit! :)

terrydale
02-23-2016, 06:35 PM
Ian, interesting idea! Yes, it would find 40 minutes on Saturday that is jammed up tight right now but I'd still have to find time for the Challenge race. Right now there is no extra time to get everything done on the Saturday. Thanks! Let me chew that one around a bit!

Ian - Big OOOPS!!! :eek:

EXCEPT that combining the GT Sprints and GT Challenge for Practice and Qualifying sure doesn't work very well at all for those who are sharing a car. Two drivers, one car - uh, nope.

luker0
02-25-2016, 03:37 PM
Luc

Thank you for the feedback but the answers to those are easy.

Mandatory 7:30AM drivers meeting on Saturday morning
*** So, we have a GT Challenge-specific Driver's Meeting Sunday morning before the first on-track session at 9:00 AM

*** We have a pretty good paddock team who map everything out literally months ahead of the event. They would create an area for GT Challenge for whenever they arrive - like dedicating the lower paddock for that class

Car setup on Friday test day to make sure racers not from CMP have a chance to catch up to us locals
***Well, that really is up to the individual racer BUT remember that there is a GT Challenge Race at Calabogie on June 4 + 5. Maybe the GT Challenge racer could write down everything he found out from that event and take it with him when he goes back there in August? ;)

(*)Likely other reasons
***I am sure that there are lots of reasons (excuses?) - if so, let me know and I'll work on them for you. You know that I am all about working very hard to make it easy to go racing at Calabogie Motorsports Park! Let's work on ways that we can make it happen rather than identifying all of the reasons why we cannot!!

Remember, two GT Challenge races at Calabogie Motorsports Park in 2016!!
June 4/5 - Kyle Nash Memorial Race
August 20/21 - Ted Powell Race

We are almost through the February Blahs!!

Let's go RACIN'!!! :D

My post was in jest Terry. But great replies to potential concerns.

terrydale
02-25-2016, 06:40 PM
My post was in jest Terry. But great replies to potential concerns.

Hi Luc.

Yup, I got that but they were great questions! Thanks for asking!

I am still working on it - we do have till August(!) but I hope to have something that works well before then. I just have to take occasional breaks to give my brain a rest!! ;)

Stay tuned!!

Terry