PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to pay more for convenience?

Slowpoke
03-05-2016, 08:58 AM
I'll put it here bluntly because we do everything we can to get more registrations.

The Ontario Time Attack Organizers committee work ridiculously hard to keep costs focused on providing you the best value. Most of that is completely out of our hands (track rental fees, ambulance costs, towing, etc.) But of the few things we can control, we try hard to minimize our costs. I think you can see the results of that with this year's pricing.

This is why we've stayed away from accepting payment on Motorsports reg because they take 5% of the gross payment as an admin fee (includes credit card fee) vs. Square which is only 2.5%. That extra 2.5% difference is significant for us, so we've just not accepted payment at MSReg before.

Would you be PREFER to pay a 2.5% marked up price on Motorsports Reg for the convenience of registering for the event and paying on the same site? (Versus registering and paying separately.)

Let me also say, that we love it when people pay by cheque or cash. :) We understand when you can't and that's part of doing business.

Grant Galloway
03-05-2016, 10:28 AM
I personally hate paying service fees that I don't have to pay... I don't pay to withdraw money from an ATM machine, and I don't pay for cheques; so for me I actually prefer cheque, as I get a record of it!

But I'm flexible to anything!

Grant

crunkride
03-06-2016, 04:17 PM
I would rather not - personally. I'd think it would be more attractive to have lower entry costs, even with a little extra 'work' on the driver's end.

Just out of curiosity, do the tracks require us to use "their" towing companies? Or can OTA hire our own/others? I have a tow buddy that would probably entertain the idea.

Time Attack Director
03-06-2016, 05:52 PM
They say always buy genuine parts and not from imposters. As previous registrar let me explain how did it last year to keep costs down.

I think the question should be, if we could use a powerful and convenient tool like MS Reg to register for our events at no cost to OTA or yourself, what would you think?

Once you register on msreg you do not have to pay until the morning of the event.You can then pay by cheque or credit card when you come to the registratrion desk that morning of the event.

If you can help us by giving the registration desk a cheque, then that would save OTA a fee required to process credit cards from another financial company.

So do not let anyone tell you there is an additional cost at this time unless MS Reg changes that policy. At OTA we are striving to keep cost down and if this process changes, then we will let you know why and when.

So now you the best of both worlds to have convenience as well as keeping cost down.

How do you like that idea?

crunkride
03-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Assume that was address to the OP.

Can anyone comment on the towing question I posed?

Dave Barker
03-08-2016, 01:43 PM
I would rather not - personally. I'd think it would be more attractive to have lower entry costs, even with a little extra 'work' on the driver's end.

Just out of curiosity, do the tracks require us to use "their" towing companies? Or can OTA hire our own/others? I have a tow buddy that would probably entertain the idea.

I believe CTMP requires the use of Bob's Towing at the big track. Don't think there is any issue with the others

Slowpoke
03-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Assume that was address to the OP.

I have no idea.

Can anyone comment on the towing question I posed?

As the typical organizer of the MIR event, I personally won't entertain a different option than Bob's towing as long as they'll have us. No one can get a car off track faster, with less damage, more care for the driver, work with track assets and repair tire walls better than Robin and the other staff at Bob's. They're not JUST a tow service, they are track recovery experts with more assets in the area in case things went REALLY south.

I haven't looked at this year's numbers closely, but we're paying about $1200 an hour for track rental and all services. You clean up two incidents a total of 20 minutes faster than anyone else could, and suddenly that recovery service is free.

Thank you for the idea though... let Gerry know where your guy and his flatbed are based and it might be worth having them out at other events

DavidSim
03-08-2016, 03:54 PM
>>I personally won't entertain a different option than Bob's towing as long as they'll have us. No one can get a car off track faster, with less damage, more care for the driver, work with track assets and repair tire walls better than Robin and the other staff at Bob's<<

I have hired Robin on multiple occasions to move my race car between my home, another shop, and the track, she takes great pride and care with my car (my car sits very low) and I trust her 100%. She has special ramps and straps and she takes the time to do things right.

Same thing when it comes to Ambulance service, track support personnel, etc., I am a husband and father with all the responsibilities that entails, I want to know that there are proper arrangements at the races to ensure I have the best shot possible to make it home safe if I have an on track issue. I am willing to pay for it, to me it is not an area to scrimp and save.

If something happens to a racer it impacts him/her, their family, and others in the racing community as a whole too, everyone should take safety seriously and make sure things are covered adequately (and then some) to keep everything on the up and up.

Cheaper is not always better, in particular if your life is involved !!!

10gt61
03-08-2016, 07:55 PM
>>I personally won't entertain a different option than Bob's towing as long as they'll have us. No one can get a car off track faster, with less damage, more care for the driver, work with track assets and repair tire walls better than Robin and the other staff at Bob's<<

I have hired Robin on multiple occasions to move my race car between my home, another shop, and the track, she takes great pride and care with my car (my car sits very low) and I trust her 100%. She has special ramps and straps and she takes the time to do things right.

Same thing when it comes to Ambulance service, track support personnel, etc., I am a husband and father with all the responsibilities that entails, I want to know that there are proper arrangements at the races to ensure I have the best shot possible to make it home safe if I have an on track issue. I am willing to pay for it, to me it is not an area to scrimp and save.

If something happens to a racer it impacts him/her, their family, and others in the racing community as a whole too, everyone should take safety seriously and make sure things are covered adequately (and then some) to keep everything on the up and up.

Cheaper is not always better, in particular if your life is involved !!!

Couldn't have said it better myself! With Robin and regarding safety....

jimmo-san
03-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Would you be PREFER to pay a 2.5% marked up price on Motorsports Reg for the convenience of registering for the event and paying on the same site? (Versus registering and paying separately.)

Registering on Motorsports Reg and paying later via Square at the event works just fine. I see no compelling need to pay Motorsports Reg for the privilege of accepting payments via their site.

nowcritical
03-08-2016, 11:21 PM
I have no idea.

As the typical organizer of the MIR event, I personally won't entertain a different option than Bob's towing as long as they'll have us. No one can get a car off track faster, with less damage, more care for the driver, work with track assets and repair tire walls better than Robin and the other staff at Bob's. They're not JUST a tow service, they are track recovery experts with more assets in the area in case things went REALLY south.

I haven't looked at this year's numbers closely, but we're paying about $1200 an hour for track rental and all services. You clean up two incidents a total of 20 minutes faster than anyone else could, and suddenly that recovery service is free.

Thank you for the idea though... let Gerry know where your guy and his flatbed are based and it might be worth having them out at other events

I have had the fortune or unfortunate of using their services in the past. They are truly professional and top rate for caring about the car and the driver. I would be hard pressed to find a reason to replace them.