PDA

View Full Version : Rule Question

k.beaty
04-05-2016, 12:02 PM
I have a question regarding rule 5.0-B.4;

Removal or gutting of the catalytic converter(s) and/or other 1 PIP
modifications such as modification or removal of emissions control
systems including: emission control air pump nozzle(s); thermal reactor(s)
and integrated plumbing; PCV and fuel evaporator systems that render the
vehicle non-compliant with the applicable emissions standards for a street driven vehicle of the type.

I have an oil breather tank that vents from the valve cover to the can, and drains back into the oil pan. There is a filter on top to vent the can and crankcase pressure. I have this done because the motor in my car in an economy motor and is not designed to rev at high RPM's. At high RPM's the pressure in the crankcase builds up and blows out oil seal, cam seals, rear main seal, distributor seal, whichever is the weakest link.
My car is not equipped with a factory PCV system, just a hose that runs from the valve cover to the throttle body. I have this disconnected because it dumps oil into the intake and creates a smoke screen after right hand corners.

My questions is - Should I be claiming this PIP given that this is not a performance enhancing modification, but a reliability/safety modification? It does not "render the vehicle non-compliant with the applicable emissions standards for a street driven vehicle of the type" as I have a valid Ontario Emissions test.

Dave Barker
04-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Kyle, if you can pass the emissions test, you should be good without claiming a PIP

k.beaty
04-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Kyle, if you can pass the emissions test, you should be good without claiming a PIP

Great! Thanks for the clarification Dave.

WrenchTime
04-24-2016, 06:02 PM
That's not how I would interpret the rule. Venting crankcase gases to atmosphere (not manifold) violates the law. I think you would take the point.

I believe technically, any modification of the PCV system should fail the visual inspection which should be part of an emissions test. These are federally regulated systems.

I'm not saying I agree this should take a point, but I think you do meet the description of the rule.

That's my $0.02, but it's my first year with this group, so it will be interesting to see how the rules are interpreted. Just trying to provide a caution.

Slowpoke
04-24-2016, 06:42 PM
That's my $0.02, but it's my first year with this group, so it will be interesting to see how the rules are interpreted. Just trying to provide a caution.

That is how I think a steward would have to interpret the rule.

A good baffled catch can / air oil separator can return the oil to the crank case and the crankcase air to the intake without venting. If you want to remain VTA due to risk of oil vapour reducing effective octane, then take the PIP.