PDA

View Full Version : new rule for clothing in the pits

Doug P
04-24-2016, 11:10 PM
As nothing has been mentioned before and although all participant should be reading the new rules each year, many people may be missing this change to clothing in the pits.

Shoes must now be made of leather or fire retardant material. I expect the vast majority of people have been wearing some type of running shoe made of other man made material that would be non compliant.

I don't know the reason for the change but personally I feel it is excessive.

RACE REGULATIONS 2016

APPENDIX ‘I’: RULES OF THE PITS AND PADDOCK

1.5 EQUIPMENT

All personnel in the pit lane shall have their body covered. All clothing shall be appropriate to the environment. e.g. closed toe shoes made of leather or other approved fire retardant material, shirts with sleeves, long pants, socks etc. In addition, individuals designated as Pit Officials shall wear a fire-retardant, high visibility lime green or bright orange vest or coveralls.

Devin.Hanes
04-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Is this a rule for the sake of a rule, or insurance/liability worries generated rule?

Just finished watching F1 & MotoGP events from the weekend.

Lots of people in the pits in shorts....(not refueling cars, or changing tires, of course).

Canadian Superbike series, crew in shorts in the pits....

I understand flame retardant shoes as part of flame retardant clothing for anyone refuelling a car in the pits, but for everyone in the pits?

Bunnie
04-25-2016, 02:09 PM
We travel to many different SCCA pro and SCCA club racing events in the US. People wear shorts and sleeveless clothing in the pits. This is not about insurance. This is about making stupid rules and enforcing stupid rules for the sake of no good reason. Having overheated people working in the pits with extra layers of clothing is more of a safety hazard than having reasonable clothed people with exposed skin or shoes that don't burn so quickly. Now we will make them buy special shoes so they can stand in the sun and watch their driver come by every 90 seconds.

If you don't want your shoes to burn then keep your feet in places where your shoes won't catch on fire! How simple could it be?

The very last thing that our sport needs right now are more limits to access. The casual/part time crew people won't be allowed in the pits. Once we reduce their ability to be involved, the next step is staying home.

metric1
04-25-2016, 05:22 PM
This rule is also a proper guide for pit officials, who have at times misinterpreted what was or even wasn't in the rulebook. That being said, you can refer to it as the "Princess" rule.......;)

ajazeller
04-25-2016, 05:39 PM
I agree - the rule makes little sense. I have a hard enough time finding support at the track... It will get even harder if my family and friends are expected to own special shoes to help...:(

I would understand if the "personnel in the pit lane" was refueling a car for an endurance event. But for people holding a stop watch, taking tire temp's, and checking air pressures... it doesn't make any sense at all.

Alex

Slowpoke
04-25-2016, 05:55 PM
F1 crews go into active pits in shorts. Managers/owners along pit wall wear short sleeves.

And need I mention... grid girls are going to look stupid in mini skirts and closed toe shoes.

Oh wait... nevermind. It's just CASC-OR. This has nothing to do with FIA.

princess
04-25-2016, 06:11 PM
LOL @ The Princess Rule! Some background....

I was "removed" from pit lane 2 seasons ago for not wearing socks during a 1-hour GT Challenge race. Having worked as an Official previously, I argued with the Official (who was not wearing the mandatory helmet or reflective vest) that there was no rule stating socks were necessary for crew during 1-hour races; only races involving refueling required socks. The Official came back to me with the Pit Lane Officials Rulebook (rules pertaining to Officials, not CASC-OR GCR's or GT-Challenge Appendix Rules) and showed me where it said sandals were not allowed in pit lane. (Well, DUH!!!) I was then kicked out of pit lane at a critical time in the race, and my driver was called to the Stewards after the event because I was wearing "ballet slippers" (direct quote) as well as to answer for my obstinance.

At the next ORO meeting it was noted by our GT Driver Rep that there was, in fact, no rule regarding crew wearing socks during the 1 hour events.

As I now live in Calgary and won't be sweating it out in pit lane this summer, I apologize to those of you who now need to wear socks in order to correctly time your drivers' laps and communicate via radio. Unbelievable. :confused:

________
Cortney
Crew Chief for Life
Metric #126

Volfie
04-25-2016, 06:44 PM
Princess the person who pulled you out originally was not a Pit Official they were a Paddock Official that weekend.

And when that (incredibly rude to me) Pit Official finally came over he did not show you a rule book, he was using the Pit training manual.

oblio125
04-25-2016, 09:00 PM
So I guess a trip to Value Village for a box full of various size leather dress shoes is in the cards for all the crew chiefs. Maybe pick up a couple pairs of socks in case Cortney shows up.:)

Jim Morton
04-26-2016, 04:38 PM
Why is this rule being introduced just before the season starts? Similar to the HNR rule a few years ago. People have enough to do this close to the first event rather than hunting down leather shoes for their crew. I'll bet quite a number of people don't own leather shoes. The year is 2016, in case some haven't noticed.

f1200racer
04-26-2016, 05:05 PM
This rule does not make sense. I agree its hard enough to get help to wrench on the car. If the car I am working on is on fire its most likely stopped on the side of the track and not in pit lane. If its mechanical its straight back in our trailer. Last 2-3 years all I have had to do on pit wall is radio and take tire temps.

Most people are on limited budgets and having to buy expensive racing shoes instead of 20 dollar Wal-Mart runners is ridiculous. especially 2 weeks from the first weekend. Why makes things tougher for people to come to the track for enjoyment is baffling to me. car counts are way down as it is Might not matter any was as there are only 7-10 cars pre registered for all classes when we check on Sunday.

Stephen
04-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Please tell me they're going to allow leather "running" shoes. If not, stupid rule.

Devin.Hanes
04-27-2016, 08:07 PM
I agree - the rule makes little sense. I have a hard enough time finding support at the track...
Alex

My "crew fee" just went up from food and beer, to beer, food, and shoes.

Alex, maybe you, Jim, and some other Formula car drivers could all chip in, pool your resources to buy me "Pit Appropriate" clothing, and I will crew for all of you.

-Devin

ellswrth
04-27-2016, 08:35 PM
All ... this rule was extensively discussed amongst the 40 or so people who participated in the pre-season clerks and stewards sessions two weeks back.

I can guarantee you there is a revision coming, and baby will not need a new pair of shoes.

Common sense will tell you that if you're wearing something that impairs movement or balance, or exposes lots of skin on your foot, or offers zero protection, it won't be a good choice.

Stay tuned - I think all will be well.

Doug P
04-27-2016, 08:52 PM
All ... this rule was extensively discussed amongst the 40 or so people who participated in the pre-season clerks and stewards sessions two weeks back.

I can guarantee you there is a revision coming, and baby will not need a new pair of shoes.

Common sense will tell you that if you're wearing something that impairs movement or balance, or exposes lots of skin on your foot, or offers zero protection, it won't be a good choice.

Stay tuned - I think all will be well.

Well that's good I suppose. Seems to be a lot like the window clip rule last spring that forced many to drill into their cars for no good reason.

I really do not understand how these things get all the way into the rule book then revised afterwards. If proposed changes were brought forward at the fall race meeting it may prevent a lot of this from happening.

DEK
04-27-2016, 09:15 PM
For those that "think" the rules were just posted, this is from the CASC Web Site

2016 Road Race Regulations - Posted Mar 11, 2016

terrydale
04-28-2016, 10:25 AM
UPDATE!! New rule for footwear in the pits!!!

Here is the situation going into the first race of the season regarding the footwear requirements in pit lane.

From Ted Michalos, CASC/OR Race Director:

We’ll deal with this rule “change” at the next Race Committee meeting on May 17.

Operationally, the new standard will not be enforced – we will continue to operate under the 2015 rule while this matter is under review.
Thanks everyone for your input – let’s move on please.

Ted Michalos, Race Director, CASC-OR
VARAC Member (2006)

NO FURTHER DISCUSSION REQUIRED!!
LET'S GO RACING!!!
BOOGITY!! BOOGITY!! BOOGITY!! :D

ajazeller
04-28-2016, 12:02 PM
My "crew fee" just went up from food and beer, to beer, food, and shoes.

Alex, maybe you, Jim, and some other Formula car drivers could all chip in, pool your resources to buy me "Pit Appropriate" clothing, and I will crew for all of you.

-Devin

Sounds like everything is now sorted. And I was just about to purchase a bunch of Mukluks we could have all shared!!! Practical, comfortable, supportive and fashionable -- It could have been A THING!