PDA

View Full Version : OMSC presents Which tires to buy for 2016

Dave Barker
04-27-2016, 11:37 PM
It is the perennial question for Time-Attack competitors: What tires do I use this year.

The regular OMSC meeting at the Whitby Yacht Club this coming Tues May 3 will discuss the various tire choices now available for Time-Attack, Autocross, Chump Car, HPDE and other disciplines in an informal presentation. We will look at tire brands from Achilles to Yokohama and hopefully point out some of the differences, pros and cons etc.

Do we know what tires you should buy? Of course not but with a bunch of different heads involved we can probably pool our collective resources and come out at least a little more informed.

BTW, this is not a sponsored event and no one will be pushing a specific brand or tire. The meeting is open to everyone.

To find out how to get there go to www.oshawamotorsportclub.com

DavidSim
04-28-2016, 10:39 AM
>>Do we know what tires you should buy? Of course not but with a bunch of different heads involved we can probably pool our collective resources and come out at least a little more informed.<<

Sounds like a great session, I'll be there.

Grant Galloway
04-28-2016, 10:26 PM
Already got my tires..

Dave Barker
04-29-2016, 08:32 AM
Already got my tires..

At least your first set.:)

Just for interest, I might look at last year's OTA winners to see what they used but I think there were all sorts of different brands represented.

Saj5DJ
04-29-2016, 01:17 PM
Can't make the meeting, but have plenty of input for autocross if you would like it.

Grant Galloway
04-29-2016, 10:48 PM
I am running Pirelli Trofeo's they have a lot of grip, the wear is fantastic and they don't get greasy on lap 3..

255/40/17 Fronts and 225/45/17 Rears

Toyo RA1 rain tires!!

Wasn't a fan of the RE71R, lots of grip; but they fall off in 2 laps!

Agree Dave, I am sure I will have to buy at least two sets! four star motorsports Dan Sprongl has great pricing on Pirelli

Slowpoke
04-29-2016, 10:58 PM
Wasn't a fan of the RE71R, lots of grip; but they fall off in 2 laps!

You're scaring me. :) Was it just your front starting to wash out? Did you get any tread Temps? Alignment settings?

Grant Galloway
04-29-2016, 11:09 PM
Don't get me wrong Steve, they work but the wear is attricious and the chunked very badly! Maybe it was the FWD

My car was on Scotts alignment rack 3-4 times last year.

I ran 225/45/17 all around

-3.6 front camber and -2.7 rear camber

I wasn't a fan of them, the Hankooks although slower had better consistency and less sensitive to tire pressure.

Saj5DJ
04-30-2016, 12:00 AM
You're scaring me. :) Was it just your front starting to wash out? Did you get any tread Temps? Alignment settings?

They're known to overheat, even at autocross.

Double driver cars usually spray. Rival S is your droid if you need 200tw and heat capacity.

Dave Barker
05-01-2016, 11:00 PM
High performance tires are becoming more and more specific in their uses. Obviously the best tire for you will depend on what you are using it for, driving style and the car you are putting it on.

I think there were 8 different tires in the top 10 last year for OTA, and that is just for Time-Attack. Might be totally different in other disciplines.

wparsons
05-02-2016, 07:49 AM
Don't get me wrong Steve, they work but the wear is attricious and the chunked very badly! Maybe it was the FWD

My car was on Scotts alignment rack 3-4 times last year.

I ran 225/45/17 all around

-3.6 front camber and -2.7 rear camber

I wasn't a fan of them, the Hankooks although slower had better consistency and less sensitive to tire pressure.

225 probably isn't enough tire for the weight of the car if they're over heating that quickly, especially since you've gone significantly wider with the pirellis up front.

They're known to overheat, even at autocross.

Double driver cars usually spray. Rival S is your droid if you need 200tw and heat capacity.

That's interesting, I've read in a few places that the Rival S over heats faster on a track than the RE71R. Haven't driven either so I can't give any real world experience though.

Slowpoke
05-02-2016, 01:10 PM
AD08R's are fantastic for heat resistance, but I need a dual duty autoslalom/track tire for CDNTDA.ca

Could hedge my bets with one set of Rival s and one RE71R. Hrmmm. Damn pax!!

wparsons
05-02-2016, 01:44 PM
AD08R's are fantastic for heat resistance, but I need a dual duty autoslalom/track tire for CDNTDA.ca

Could hedge my bets with one set of Rival s and one RE71R. Hrmmm. Damn pax!!

What about PAX? Both the Rival S and RE71R are 200tw (or so they claim).

Slowpoke
05-02-2016, 10:26 PM
What about PAX? Both the Rival S and RE71R are 200tw (or so they claim).

Last year we only had to try to beat a stock Miata or FRS in raw time. We didn't have to buy sticky tires for autoslalom. We used sponsored tires and did okay.

And it's OTA pax, so 70/30 power to handling. And I'm taking four aero pips for a 30 second course that never leaves third gear. We're working as hard as we can.

2TH PWR
05-02-2016, 11:22 PM
The RE71R is the best for PAX.

Bar none. If I was returning I would drop to SGT2 and run that tire.

You only need one lap.

wparsons
05-03-2016, 10:46 AM
Last year we only had to try to beat a stock Miata or FRS in raw time. We didn't have to buy sticky tires for autoslalom. We used sponsored tires and did okay.

And it's OTA pax, so 70/30 power to handling. And I'm taking four aero pips for a 30 second course that never leaves third gear. We're working as hard as we can.

Ahhhh, sorry... I misunderstood the pax comment. I thought it was about the difference in iPAX factor between the two tires.

Saj5DJ
05-03-2016, 12:55 PM

I would hope so :p

1qwkmini
05-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Here is a timely article..https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/street-tire-shootout/

Gary
05-03-2016, 07:47 PM
I read that GRM article last fall, and on the basis of that made the decision to switch from Rivals, which I liked, and which seemed to wear well, to the Direzza Star Spec II's which have been stored in a warm dark place awaiting spring. I will be interested to see how well they work, as I would happily go back to the Rivals for my next set if I don't like the Dunlops.

max attack
05-03-2016, 09:08 PM
I just received a set of Archilles ATR-k sports to try in exchange for feedback,supposed to be on par with the R888 for grip and wear.

Retail price for them is quite a lot better then the toyo so that's good,fingers crossed for a decent affordable track day type tire.

DavidSim
05-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Dave, Gerry, Richard, et al,

I enjoyed the presentation, learned a few things, nice bunch of people.

I wish everyone well.

Time Attack Director
05-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Just wanted to report back and thank Dave for his great presentation!

It encouraged lots of positive feedback and information to help us get set for this year!

Well done Dave!

10gt61
05-04-2016, 02:31 PM
I made the decision to switch from Rivals to the Direzza Star Spec II's. I will be interested to see how well they work, as I would happily go back to the Rivals for my next set if I don't like the Dunlops.

Gary, you'll like them - I have two sets of ZII's and they have been great. I can only assume the ZII Star Specs will be even better!

Greg Campbell
05-06-2016, 09:45 AM
Just wanted to report back and thank Dave for his great presentation!

Is there a 'presentation' in the typical sense (i.e. powerpoint or similar) that could be shared for those that couldn't make it?

Nothing like a tire debate.

ONdriver
05-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Consensus was that Nitto NT-05 was the best tire to use
All OTA competitors should purchase NT-05's :D

Dave Barker
05-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Is there a 'presentation' in the typical sense (i.e. powerpoint or similar) that could be shared for those that couldn't make it?

Nothing like a tire debate.

I did use power point but it will need some editing and additions before being ready for prime time. Obviously a big topic.

Saj5DJ
05-08-2016, 04:03 PM
Consensus was that Nitto NT-05 was the best tire to use
All OTA competitors should purchase NT-05's :D

Shaved Blizzaks are the new hotness.

Lloyd_
05-08-2016, 11:01 PM
The RE71R is the best for PAX.

Bar none. If I was returning I would drop to SGT2 and run that tire.

You only need one lap.

Bar none? That's impressive for a tire that I am not sure is actually faster than a R888...(which to be fair is a class above).

It sounds like the new belt package for the smaller width Rival-S has improved an already competitive tire, per GRM.

But I would like to see you run on RE71Rs to compare against TD Softs. That would be great info.

ScubaSteve8
05-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Just a question a bit related to tires. If a car comes with a Pirelli Trofeo R or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 from factory, is that tire already part of the original classification for the vehicle? I wouldn't have to select a non-premium r-comp when classing the car, correct?

Registering for the June 26th event at CTMP - excited to get back out to an OTA event again!

Thanks,
Steve

Dave Barker
05-28-2016, 09:07 AM
The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 has a UTQG rating of 180 and is still a street tire by OTA rules.

The Trofeo R has a rating of 60 which makes it an R comp tire. The CCC does not include tires with the normal car classification so if your car comes with this tire OEM, you still have to claim the 5 Pips.