PDA

View Full Version : Belt Question

WrenchTime
05-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Hey guys, struggling with this rule:

1.1.3.3. Four Point belts must meet FMVSS209 or ECER16.04 standards, be
approved by the manufacturer for the vehicle, and have an
integrated Anti-Submarining Mechanism from the manufacturer.
Note that some “Tuner” belts do not meet these standards. Burden
of proof for validity and correct installation is on the driver of the
car.

I can't seem to find any belts that meet FMVSS and have this anti-submarining mechanism.

Reasons why I'm struggling:
1. FMVSS209 means an orange button center buckle, which is NOT as safe in rapid egress as a camlock on an FIA harness
2. Only belts I can find do not have this anti-submarining mechanism
3. FMVSS209 belts are ~$100 USD more expensive than FIA belts (and less safe as far as I'm concerned)
4. There is no consideration for seated position. Many governing bodies stipulate a seat angle at which ASM is required. My seating position is basically vertical and would not require it

What belt meets these rules? My seat cannot accommodate 5/6 points and I have a roll bar in the car.

wparsons
05-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Something like this:

https://www.schrothracing.com/competition/profi-asm/profi-II-asm

or this:

https://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/rallye/rallye-4

should be ok.

WrenchTime
05-02-2016, 05:38 PM
So nowhere does it actually say that the Profi includes an FMVSS209 endorsement. It lists FIA, but NOT FMVSS. The Rallye is not a good choice for my car.

I'm just not drinking the Kool-aid. This belt is more than $150 more than a run-of-the-mill FIA harness.

Are there any other options? Hopefully I'm not the only one in this boat...

WrenchTime
05-02-2016, 05:50 PM
Just following up. Re-reading the rule (to verify if my build is actually making me crazy) it also states that the belts must be approved for the vehicle.

No one makes a compliant belt for a 1972 Fiat 124.

What can I do?

wparsons
05-02-2016, 05:51 PM
From the Profi II ASM instructions:

This harness belt, when properly installed and used according to applicable instructions can minimise injury. The ability of any restraint system to minimise or prevent injuries is directly related to the type and severity of accident. No restraint system can prevent injury or death in every accident. Profi and HybridTM racing harness belts are NOT designed to be installed into street legal vehicles, and DO NOT meet federal and state vehicle safety regulations. They are designed and tested to be used exclusively in race cars and only in on-track events. Only Profi-FE asm® models are intended for Rally sport and street legal use and carry either the ECE-R 16 approval label for Europe or sets forth the following language for the USA: “meets the applicable provisions of FMVSS 209”. It will also carry the FIA homologation label

https://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Competition_Instructions.pdf

WrenchTime
05-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the info wparsons! You'd think it would be more obvious on their site! Doesn't solve my "approved for the vehicle" part, can anyone comment on that?

In many cases, running the stock 3-point is acceptable, but not in the case of older cars which only had lap belts up front.