PDA

View Full Version : What I Learned (WIL) at OTA Event #1

Gwoody27
06-05-2016, 01:30 PM
First off thanks to the great organizing group, super well organized and run providing a top notch track experience. Every event has things to learn and here are mine.

1. Lots of support from friends makes the day a relaxing one. Thanks Perry and Ghanim.
2. Black cars are fast: FTD to 711 Vette and top IPAX to 29 Toyota.
3. Marshals were on the ball - big thanks to all. Wow a rhyme, I am a poet.
4. Most of the top guns are back so look out.
5. Super fast rookie crop this year scoring high PAX numbers is awesome. I hope they all stick with the series.
6. RE71-R tires are worth the cost and at least for me the best times were always on the 3rd timed lap. Who says they get greasy.
7. I think this Corey kid has a future as a racer.

See everyone at CTMP - GP Track on June 25/26.

Grant Galloway
06-05-2016, 09:44 PM
1. My car can hang with Vettes without me driving it
2. Trofeo's have a lot of grip too much
3. Need more camber and stiffer springs
4. OTA brings opportunity to meet new people
5. My new pit bike is fun

Looking forward to the MIR school and event #2

Grant

3wheeler
06-06-2016, 10:47 AM
1. Don't set expectations too high!
2. When you think you have enough steering in your FWD, you don't.
3. Race seats should be worth 10 pips - I sure miss mine!
4. This series brings a lot of great people out and it sure makes the downtime go quickly.
5. Expect a "shhh" at the drivers meeting if you ask a great question.
6. It takes a lot of trust in someone else's abilities to just hand someone them the keys and watch them drive your car 10/10ths... thanks Grant!

See you all at the GP track school.

alexb29
06-06-2016, 04:59 PM
1. Rear-wheel-drive is VASTLY different than front-wheel-drive. (DUH!)
2. This RX8 is VASTLY better than my Protégé. (DUH!)
3. It really is nice to drive my car to the track again, rather than trailer it. (Until I break down, I guess...)
4. You can have a fairly quick and very fun setup without spending a lot of money (ie. HSD and Achilles)
5.The more time I spent on the track, the faster I got. Gonna spend more time adjusting the nut behind the steering wheel before swapping parts in the car. Huge gains to be had there.
6. Did I mention how much more I like the RX8 over the Protégé? Oh...
7. My mother is the best crew chief.
8. My girlfriend bringing pom-poms to the track wasn't as embarrassing as I thought.

See y'all at MIR!!!

DavidSim
06-06-2016, 09:53 PM
>>3. It really is nice to drive my car to the track again, rather than trailer it. (Until I break down, I guess...)<<

CAA is your friend !

>>5.The more time I spent on the track, the faster I got. Gonna spend more time adjusting the nut behind the steering wheel before swapping parts in the car. Huge gains to be had there.<<

You are on the right track sir.

>>7. My mother is the best crew chief.<<

She'll love you extra for saying so.

>>8. My girlfriend bringing pom-poms to the track wasn't as embarrassing as I thought.<<

Pictures would be nice.

Dave Barker
06-07-2016, 12:50 AM
1) Having volunteers from all 3 OTA clubs really makes things run better
2) We need more decals if we are going to have people run them
3) Michelin Sport Cup 2s definitely need to be heated up to work well, my best lap is always the last lap of the session but fortunately I, too, need warming up
4) DBA rotors look like they will last longer that NAPA ones.
5) Clerking without a tower is not a lot of fun:( but having a dedicated volunteer starter for the day is great :)
6) Lynn's oatmeal cookies are excellent:D
7) I like iPAX :)
8) It takes more than a few laps to re learn a track you have been away from for 4 seasons.

alexb29
06-09-2016, 08:37 PM
>>8. My girlfriend bringing pom-poms to the track wasn't as embarrassing as i thought.<<

pictures would be nice.

scorcherjf
06-10-2016, 10:37 AM
LOL that's awesome... your reaction in the car is priceless too.

Slowpoke
06-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Where's the like button?!?!?!? Agreed, Awesome! Play along and buy her a grid girl outfit with umbrella for you.

http://grid-girls.co.uk/GridGirls/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ClothingKoala.jpg

And use black electrical tape to hold your magnets on. Green looks tacky. ;)

ed caranci
06-11-2016, 03:44 PM
I learned that if I'm going to turn laps over 3 seconds faster than my last years event - I better use more tape to hold down my number plates.
If anyone found a magnetic #26 number plate, it has a home waiting on the roof of my car.
:)

alexb29
06-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Where's the like button?!?!?!? Agreed, Awesome! Play along and buy her a grid girl outfit with umbrella for you.
She'll definitely enjoy that!!! And I would too...

And use black electrical tape to hold your magnets on. Green looks tacky. ;)
Understatement of the year. Lol! I totally forgot to get some for the weekend, so I was limited to either green painter's tape or black duct tape. I chose the one that I wouldn't be cleaning off for the next 6 years. Lol!