PDA

View Full Version : WIL at event 2

Gwoody27
06-27-2016, 05:54 AM
Time for the 2nd installment of what I learned:

1. Radicals are very fast cars when we'll driven.
2. Vettes are awesome to watch and great to see such a good variety in colours other than black.
3. Some very interesting people and cars lapped with us, thanks.
4. Thanks also to those who stayed to help pack up the timing van. Jeremy, Perry, Ghanim, Eric and Dave. Who says good help is hard to find?
5. The GP track is a fabulous place but always seems to collect various car parts. Must have enough by now to fill a gravel pit.
6. Kudos to the OTA instructors for a good school. Heard lots of positive comments from the students during the classroom sessions.
7. I think we have created a monster. A White CRX on street tires in T1. Can it be beaten? Come to the DDT and find out.

Grant Galloway
06-28-2016, 09:46 AM
I learned that your car needs to survive the previous day in order to compete at the event.

The marshalls and safety crew at MIR do a great job

My parts bill so far from Honda House is $1800
A/C Condenser, Bumper, Fender, Grill, Bumper Supports, Bumper Beam & Hood..

MIR is a fun track that needs to be respected, not sure I will ever set foot back onto it though!

My confidence has been shattered, but I will attempt to make a come back.

Hoping to have my car back together for the last two races at Shannonville.

Grant

DavidSim
06-28-2016, 01:57 PM
>>My confidence has been shattered, but I will attempt to make a come back<<

Like the song says you gotta "Pick yourself up and get back in the race".

It's all good Grasshopper !

wparsons
06-28-2016, 02:32 PM

Grant

Hope you can get back out ASAP to rebuild the confidence! Stay within your comfort zone, but keep pushing just a bit!

dubya_rx
06-28-2016, 02:40 PM
1. I was slightly faster than last year but still way off the pace. Need more time at Mosport (with instruction) or just skip it altogether.
2. Car is overheating now... first lap was always my fastest. Related? Probably.
3. XYYXXYXY... wasn't that a secret code in some video game? I failed at that too (I apologize to the clerks, etc)
4. The washrooms at the end of the garage are mucher nicer than the ones across the paddock.
5. I'm not sure if the 412/407 is the faster way to get to Mosport, but it definitely avoids some traffic going home. I predict he 50kph zone it drops you into is going to get busy, and be a revenue generator for the police.
6. There is PetroCanada with 94 just off the 407 at Thickson.

Gwoody27
06-28-2016, 03:48 PM
I learned that your car needs to survive the previous day in order to compete at the event.

The marshalls and safety crew at MIR do a great job

My parts bill so far from Honda House is $1800
A/C Condenser, Bumper, Fender, Grill, Bumper Supports, Bumper Beam & Hood..

MIR is a fun track that needs to be respected, not sure I will ever set foot back onto it though!

Grant

We all want to see you get back on the horse. Once you have a few events under your belt you may change your mind about MIR.

Gwoody27
06-28-2016, 03:49 PM
1. I was slightly faster than last year but still way off the pace. Need more time at Mosport (with instruction) or just skip it altogether.
2. Car is overheating now... first lap was always my fastest. Related? Probably.
3. XYYXXYXY... wasn't that a secret code in some video game? I failed at that too (I apologize to the clerks, etc)
4. The washrooms at the end of the garage are mucher nicer than the ones across the paddock.
5. I'm not sure if the 412/407 is the faster way to get to Mosport, but it definitely avoids some traffic going home. I predict he 50kph zone it drops you into is going to get busy, and be a revenue generator for the police.

Good to know about the Ultra 94 location, thanks.

Dave Barker
06-28-2016, 05:52 PM

Actually it was XYYXXYYX

ONdriver
06-28-2016, 07:24 PM

Well, now you know at least one thing NOT to do!
Get back out there Grant, MIR is meant to be respected, not feared

ONdriver
06-28-2016, 07:26 PM

Now the secret is out!!! :(

Grant Galloway
06-28-2016, 10:40 PM

Respect turn 2

nissannx
06-28-2016, 11:18 PM
First OTA big track event that I've missed in years. Glad to see Mike's pics and the comments here. Glad to see OTA keeping the big track going!

Slowpoke
06-29-2016, 01:07 AM
Respect turn 2

That's the right attitude! Get back out there and respect it before you lose the feel you developed on Saturday. Sure, you'll be slower in Turn 2 the next time, but you'll pick it back up quickly.

Fortunately it was more slippery when I did multiple spins and tail wags down two in 2008 and I managed to miss the inside wall. Unfortunately, my wife was there at the track that day driving in another run group and it only took minutes for her to find out about it... Point is, we've all overcooked it somewhere on that track. Damage done is the same as the luck of a coin flip.

Shit happened, you learned, it's time to overcome it and get back on that horse. The longer you wait, the harder it will be.

wparsons
06-29-2016, 08:47 AM

For 5, especially with the hill in the middle. They could sit down in the valley and make a fortune.

For 6, that Petro also has a timmies. Anyone that doesn't like Petro, there is an Esso with 93 octane diagonally across the intersection.

Gwoody27
06-29-2016, 12:01 PM

Respect turn 2

Only cosmetic, a little polishing and use of SONAX products will have you back up and running asap. The wheel and tire might take longer.

Tanner
06-29-2016, 02:29 PM
Now the secret is out!!! :(

Ditto, i've been using that washroom for years!

Tanner
06-29-2016, 02:39 PM
Fortunately it was more slippery when I did multiple spins and tail wags down two in 2008 and I managed to miss the inside wall. Unfortunately, my wife was there at the track that day driving in another run group and it only took minutes for her to find out about it... Point is, we've all overcooked it somewhere on that track. Damage done is the same as the luck of a coin flip.

Watching the competitors go by on turn two, there's a slight bump that's close to where the rescue truck parks behind the wall (driver's right). Seeing the odd car hit whatever part of the road that has the slight imperfection, can see the rear of the car get a little unsettled as the suspension's soaking it up. The orange/black Blackspark Mustang was really getting a workout when it hit this part of the pavement. For the most part, everybody is taking the right line and don't see any unsettling of the rear.

Now I'm wondering if this was a factor to my wife's spin in the BRZ back in May at a JRP day. Trying to remember what Mike said when we walked the track at the end of the day last year......

It was good just watching you guys run at various parts of the track. The orange FRS and black Vette doing some nice steering with the throttle at 5C, and the 990 red Miata getting it a bit of oversteer at turn nine.