PDA

View Full Version : Civic Si Rebuild

Grant Galloway
07-09-2016, 10:20 PM
So 2 weeks after my incident at Turn 2 I have some renewed motivation which is good, I actually just finished vacuuming out all the grass that the interior collected during my spin! The other good news is that I have all of my front end parts sitting here in my garage.. I received some fantastic help from Honda House in Chatham..

I have a new bumper, hood, fender, grill, headlight and bumper beams! The A/C consenser is also busted, so the whole system is being removed, yes I know that will cost me half a pip..LOL

I also picked up a mishimoto Radiator

the car absorbed the impact like it was suppose to and things could have been far worse.. I am dropping it off to John Dryden this week, he is the guy fixing Kellys Mustang, and came highly recommended!! Lets hope it's done in time for Shannonville in August!

The car will be getting the full treatment safety wise.. Likely this winter!!

Grant

endura
07-09-2016, 11:43 PM
"full treatment" as in cage?

Grant Galloway
07-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Yes a cage or at the very least a roll bar, seat, harness and hans!

I will also probably avoid the Grand Prix track in the future, too many things that can go wrong that could lead to a serious crash and injury; regardless of the amount of safety gear you have in the car!

Grant

endura
07-11-2016, 04:56 PM
regarding full cage, think it through thoroughly. I regret caging my car.

nowcritical
07-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Yes a cage or at the very least a roll bar, seat, harness and hans!

I will also probably avoid the Grand Prix track in the future, too many things that can go wrong that could lead to a serious crash and injury; regardless of the amount of safety gear you have in the car!

Grant

Grant,

The GP track is a lot of fun and one of the fastest tracks in the world. I have had my share of bad luck at the the track but it is not different then other tracks where issue can occur. Event the best drivers have bad days and make mistakes so don't right the place off.

Good to see your car coming together!

Grant Galloway
07-11-2016, 09:54 PM
Nope I am done with that track now... There are always risks in racing, anything can happen; but I think the risk is significantly higher at mosport than any other track I have been on!

I was originally dead set against doing this event this year, but I got up the courage to try it out, I think I will go with my gut! My weekend was almost over with a cut SS brake line that day, but I had a backup that I put on bles the brakes and everything was good to go! Then two sessions later I met the wall..

Perhaps packing up and going home was the answer??

Either way it was a lesson learned, I really enjoyed the track; Corey will tell you how much I was smiling and giggling. But the fact is it really made me realize what can happen out there!

This is a fun hobby, It will never be my full time job! I have spent my entire career in risk management, so I will take my own advice and use risk avoidance and I will come out next year to mosport and volunteer and enjoy it from the sidelines.

Grant

Grant Galloway
07-19-2016, 11:31 AM
I was by the shop to see the car last night, all of the straightening has been completed; the body panel gaps look good, just need to pick up a few more parts for John Dryden to complete the job! Looks as though it will be done for the first week of August.. This means I get to run Shannonville, I can salvage half of the season!

Very Excited that I will be back out in 2016

Grant

wparsons
07-19-2016, 12:08 PM
Awesome news Grant!

DavidSim
07-20-2016, 06:08 PM
>>But the fact is it really made me realize what can happen out there!<<

Grant knows what is best for Grant, follow your gut and stay within your comfort zone (and pace), the track will be there if you change your mind in the future.

Take care and be happy.

Grant Galloway
08-14-2016, 05:05 PM
My car still is not completed.. The damage is all fixed, but matching the paint seems to be a challenge.

Needless to say I will be missing the last two events of the season! Hoping 2017 will be nicer to me!

I will come out to Shannonville and watch and volunteer.

Grant

Grant Galloway
08-19-2016, 06:03 PM
Car is done back in my driveway, a day late and a more than a few dollars short. Was going to come out to Shannonville, but have decided to stay home and work on the car and get it ready for a track day next week.

Grant