PDA

View Full Version : What I Learned at Events 3&4

Gwoody27
07-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Some random learnings:

1. We need to take up a collection to buy John P a floating tent so he doesn't have to sleep in an S 2000 again.

2. Do not buy an NR>G steering wheel if you are considering letting Corey "Godzilla" Whiteman drive your car. In fact don't even consider them, they break very easily and are useless.

3. Great to see so many campers on Sat night at the DDT. Getting back to our roots. SMP is also a great place to camp and have campfires.

4. Also good to see so many families out, young and more mature. Spouses and other friends are always welcome and add a good vibe to the event. Got to get the young ems attuned early.

5. The timing boys Perry and Ghanim are getting really fast with the results so even more people stay for the awards and prizes. Usually a fun time ... at least for me.

6. Along that train of thought. Competing in OTA and sharing it with so many great people is a joy for me, something I really love to do and it makes me so happy I could just explode. I hope it shows.

7. Good thing that tire unfriendly SMP is the last stop this season, its just too long of a wait. Oh well it will make it sweeter when it happens.

8. Finally there has to be a word for the "fit in field" Toyota minions who managed to keep a certain #29 at the top of the heap. It's not the first time they have pulled a minor last minute miracle, but let's hope its the last.

9. Speaking of that. A moments silence for Blue Subarus everywhere and especially one that spends so much time Can Jamming that it doesn't know who it belongs to. One thing is sure, He'll be BAAAACCCCCK.

10. I further propose that in future GT3's must compete backwards to give everyone a chance.

See you at SMP.

Slowpoke
07-11-2016, 11:36 PM
#1: I knew this anyway, but I missed the campfires.

#2: I knew this anyway, but it was reinforced that air mattresses destroy my back.

#3: in 2014 I did a 91.2 in Mod 2 trim. In Sunday practise with traffic and a passenger in SGT1 I did a 90.9 on well-used tires. I'll call that progress!

#4: Turns out that wasn't an old hub. That was a mild Motorsports "upgrade" that failed with less than 15 days on it. Boo!

#5: It's great to have friends willing to trek to Mosport on their Sunday and chauffeur your trailer back home. Thanks for all of the offers of help and co-drives!

jimmo-san
07-12-2016, 09:32 AM
11. Really appreciate the copious amounts of coffee provided by the Old Men Sports Car club. Us old guys need our coffee to get started in the morning. :p

Yellow Viggen
07-12-2016, 05:04 PM
This is my 3rd season with OTA and thus far the most enjoyable. I really appreciate comparing my times to last year's, at each event, with their various features. This time on street tires and the car that actually responds to my right foot as it should. Camping at DDT was my first camping since college days. It was quite an experience:D.
Definitely looking forward to SMP.
Martin W.#283

ScubaSteve8
07-12-2016, 07:36 PM
I can't say I learned how much fun OTA events are, but it was definitely nice to be reminded once again. Looking forward to SMP, and thank you everyone who helped put this event together!

wparsons
07-12-2016, 10:32 PM
11. Really appreciate the copious amounts of coffee provided by the Old Men Sports Car club. Us old guys need our coffee to get started in the morning. :p

New acronym for OMSC.... Old Men Serving Coffee :D

Dave Barker
07-13-2016, 03:09 PM
New acronym for OMSC.... Old Men Serving Coffee :D

That would be Omnipotent Men with Speedy Cars except it wouldn't be true and our female members would take offence.

3wheeler
07-14-2016, 09:47 AM
1. Be careful on your out lap if it rained the night before - you may find copious amounts of natures speedy dry!

2. NRG Wheels are junk. Or, I really am "Godzilla"!

3. RX-8s are serious fun - the more I drive them, the more I like them!

4. GT3's are even more serious fun...but they will ruin you for any other car.

5. I am missing competition more than I realised.

dubya_rx
07-15-2016, 12:23 AM
1. On Saturday I was 2.5 seconds faster than last year (woot!)
2. On Sunday, I was only 0.2 seconds faster than last year (boo!) and usually a couple seconds slower.
3. A 6'5" guy doesn't really fit in a tent advertised as 7'
4. I measured the prototypes lapping the big track at 76 seconds.
5. If you're near the end of your run group, you can't help with gridding the other group very much.

My videos:

Saturday...
https://youtu.be/jqcnjnIKMGs

Sunday...
https://youtu.be/QmUlJ7aDNMw

Critiques always welcome. Lap timer data available.

Yellow Viggen
07-17-2016, 11:22 AM
Great software! Especially, to compare fast and and slow laps to figure out where you gain/loose time. And, I agree about the tent measurements. I bought a 2m one which should have been plenty but it was not. It would have been a disaster in the rain.
Martin W. #283

jimmo-san
07-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Walter, what is the lap timer/software that you are using? It looks very useful!

Gwoody27
07-18-2016, 01:11 AM
2. On Sunday, I was only 0.2 seconds faster than last year (boo!) and usually a couple seconds slower.
5. If you're near the end of your run group, you can't help with gridding the other group very much.

My videos:

Saturday...

Sunday...

Awesome job. Where do you think you found all the time? How much was tires.

3wheeler
07-18-2016, 01:29 PM

My videos:

Saturday...

Sunday...

Thanks for sharing and congrats on going quicker! You are really smooth so I think these tips will help you find even more time out there!

Note: I've been asked by a couple people now to do a written track walk through so I hope you don't mind my using your request for critiquing as a little test. :D

See the attached photo's..

And here is a video I took from Gary's car. Its not all pretty but there are some good laps in there with the last one being a 1:37.4. Maybe you will find it useful. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IF_9dSHcmw

dubya_rx
07-18-2016, 05:41 PM
Corey,
Awesome. Thanks for that! Always open to suggestions. Problem is I will forget by next year.

Gary,
Same tires and the only change is a stiffer rear sway. I'm travelling right now so don't have access to last year's data. I also switched lap timers, so the data is not easily comparable.

Jim/Lawence,
I used a bunch of stuff to make that. I use a GoPro on the dome light for the interior shot. Dashcam on the window for the external. Cobb Accessport for logging RPM/throttle/etc. Aim Solo for the GPS and laptimes. Then I use RaceRender to sync them all together.

jimmo-san
07-18-2016, 06:51 PM
I used a bunch of stuff to make that. I use a GoPro on the dome light for the interior shot. Dashcam on the window for the external. Cobb Accessport for logging RPM/throttle/etc. Aim Solo for the GPS and laptimes. Then I use RaceRender to sync them all together.

Very cool! I thought at first it was an AIM Smartycam, but the data display is a bit different from the Smartycam.

I'll have to check out RaceRender. Just the picture-in-picture and split screen features would make it all worthwhile for me. :)

Gwoody27
07-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Some good smooth driving from WB and great tips from Corey. He really knows his stuff and is a real help. In addition to his lines, Corey has smooth control on every input. He brakes a bit earlier and sometimes less and carries more speed everywhere without over driving in any way. It is a real education watching his videos.

Check out his You Tube helmet cam video of his laps in my car from Event 3. You will see what I mean.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IF_9dSHcmw

You will also see my new OMP steering wheel that I was lucky to get when the NR>G one broke, cheap crap that it was.

John P
07-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Nice driving, Corey.

Surprising you can do competitive laps, without shifting. Perhaps that helps with smooth driving and late braking.

JohnP

Gwoody27
07-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Nice driving, Corey.

Surprising you can do competitive laps, without shifting. Perhaps that helps with smooth driving and late braking.

JohnP

John, there is no torque anyway so it doesn't hurt.

3wheeler
07-19-2016, 03:43 PM
Nice driving, Corey.

JohnP

Thx! Truth be told John, Gary's transmission and I have not got a long so well in the past, so I was a little more hesitant to use 2nd than I normally would have been. Now, having said that, Steve won at the DDT using 3rd gear only in his RX8 a couple years back, so I started with it everywhere as I knew it was a good baseline. The one main advanatage is you can focus on your lines and you are forced to maximize corner speed!

As I told Gary afterwards, I knew 2nd would be faster, but seeing as how I only had two sessions, I never really did get the chance to try it properly. Had I been competing, it would have been another story. ;) Would have been fun to be part of the 4-way pax battle!!

Elliot
07-20-2016, 12:06 AM
I enjoyed watching the video of Corey in the GT3.