PDA

View Full Version : WIL at OTA events 5 & 6 at Shannonville

Gwoody27
08-22-2016, 12:02 PM
So many things, where to start?

1. It is obvious. Huge congratulations to Mohamed for the overall win, which is long overdue and well deserved. In fact, it was extremely hard fought as he was pushed by Kyle, Eric and Carsten, who made it an outstanding battle. Watching times drop Sunday as the track improved was fascinating and everyone did a great job.

2. There were battles everywhere in the field outside the top few places. To name a few; Jeremy and Jud, Jeremy and Brad D, David M and Jim L F, Chris P and Dave B. There were more but being old I can't remember them all.

3. V8 RX-7s are outstandingly fast when very well driven and we had one of these. I hope we can convince young Bryson to come back next year.

4 Speaking of young, how about the increasing speed and consistency from the younger contingent. It is outstanding to see and things will only improve if they can stick with us. To me this was one of the fastest most competitive seasons ever. Hail to Kyle, Eric, Jeremy, Alessandro, James, Bryson, Mark, Sean, Daniel, Pat, George, Brad D et al.

5. The more mature contingent is not nearly done though. Our younger mature drivers, Carsten, Martin, Chris, Andrew, Albert, Matt and Rob are driving faster than ever and winning. Meanwhile Mohamed, Dave, Gary V, Brad M, John P, Mike etc. are really setting a high standard. Altogether a really good group of competitive drivers and cars. Really outstanding.

6. I know I missed someone and apologize.

7. I learned to triple check brake rotors before events. As much fun as it is watching from the timing van, it is much better driving.

8. It seems like we have a growing group of female admirers attending events lately and it is an outstanding trend that should continue. Must be due to the quality of drivers, Everyone knows the top drivers get the chicks. Thank you ladies for enriching our events with your welcome attendance. Special thanks to Nancy for continuing her tradition of post race cookies for the volunteers. Yummy.

9. My new motto: Stay Calm, Eat Butter Tarts (in multiples of 3) or cookies if the tarts are gone. BTW, beer at the Saturday Dinners should be mandatory.

10. Finally many thanks to those who step up to volunteer. This whole experience gets better and better because of your dedication and efforts.

matbriand
08-22-2016, 12:50 PM
1) The Vmc white civic is very loud inside as well as out. This was my first time driving it.

2) second to Gary's comment that v8 rx-7 are very fast competitive cars.

3) Make sure to fasten hood pins and that Honda windshields are a quick change.

I saw some photographers out on Saturday. Will the pictures be posted somewhere that we can view them or even purchase?

10gt61
08-22-2016, 03:11 PM
1. What a great group of people at OTA! I was welcomed back with kind remarks and encouragement after a 14 month absence from track days.

2. OTA still has a wonderful group of volunteers making sure it stays positive and healthy.

3. 14 months between events makes one quite rusty! I was 4 seconds off my Pro Track pace :eek: but I brought the car home shiny side up this time :).

4. I really did miss tracking the car - and I still miss the competition (I only did some lapping). Lots of options for the future....

5. Tried Hawk HT-10 brake pads on front. They're very good!

6. Still the greatest track BBQ of the season!

7. Once again my thanks to all.

John P
08-22-2016, 04:42 PM
1. Metal to metal rear brake on one wheel causes weird counter-steering before finally spinning a number of times (trying to figure out the weird handling).

2. BBQ was great. Thanks to everyone that helped make it happen. Raisin Butter Tarts. YUM.

JohnP

Dave Barker
08-22-2016, 07:35 PM
1) If you play the rabbit to a former champion's greyhound, you end up going faster.

2) Fortunately (for me) 888s heat cycle out

3) I LUV iPAX

4) Look no further than the Corvette results to see that the Pro track rewards power more and the Full track rewards handling more. (Who says Nitto NT01s aren't fast?. Certainly not Brad )

5) Shannonville may be flat but it is still enjoyable and clearly the best track to work as a clerk. (it is 54 steps up to the tower just for fun). I also love the fact that Shannoville is pretty fast (at least the Pro track is) but still a "low consequence" track.

6) Rick and Nancy's trailer makes a great place to eat lunch in the rain and speaking of rain, you should NEVER, EVER not show up at an event because of a weather report. The afternoon sessions were great

7) Biggest crowd of us yet that I have seen at the Red Rock

8) Maybe moving this event to September would help with the drive home

jimmo-san
08-22-2016, 09:07 PM
1, "Let's see how the tires from the 2013 OTA season do at SMP" was not one of my better ideas. :rolleyes:

2. Using a pickup as a tow vehicle means you can fill it up with stuff that should be left at home. Like old tires.

3. I should have taken the opportunity to learn from Mohamed during that brief moment on Saturday when his rear bumper was still in my sight. I didn't, to my regret on Sunday.

4. Those morning practice sessions are really useful in re-acquainting yourself with a track.

5. Taking a nap during the morning when it's raining at the track is really restful but doesn't help your times in the afternoon much. :p

6. I remember why I could never live in Vancouver.

7. There's always next year. As Leafs fans like to say.

8. Congrats to Mohamed on a stellar season, and thanks to John and Gary for their organization on Saturday/Sunday!

Mhussain
08-22-2016, 11:53 PM
Thank you all for the compliments and a huge thank you for another wonderful and memorable season. A special thanks to our event sponsors including Mobil 1 for without their products and support none of this would have been possible. To all our volunteers we owe a deep gratitude for the many personal and time consuming sacrifices. Above all, a thank you to our family members and partners for their unconditional support and sacrifices
I must admit that the comradrie and competition with Kyle, Eric and Carsten really made me extend my limits. It was intense and exciting. I was most impressed wth Kyle's offer to lend me a set of his tires when I had consumed my set at the last event - a true sportsman and a gentleman!
Thank you to Gary Wood and his innovative 'Canadian track day adventures' which helped me improve my skills for this competition.
It was great to see Kelly again at the track.
As for event 5 & 6, I learnt that there is always more to achieve even when it seems impossible. That your best friends are the ones you play and compete with. And the best times in your life are at the track! ( with OTA of course)
Mohamed

Dave Barker
08-24-2016, 08:15 AM
1) If you play the rabbit to a former champion's greyhound, you end up going faster.

So after looking at the unofficial results, it looks like playing the rabbit to the greyhound not only makes the rabbit faster, it makes the greyhound faster.

kmorris
08-24-2016, 02:05 PM
So after looking at the unofficial results, it looks like playing the rabbit to the greyhound not only makes the rabbit faster, it makes the greyhound faster.

Dave, you old grey hound you.

nissannx
08-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Congratulations Mohamed,
You have certainly worked hard for this moment. Tons of preparation and even more skill! Well done!
Frank

Thank you all for the compliments and a huge thank you for another wonderful and memorable season. A special thanks to our event sponsors including Mobil 1 for without their products and support none of this would have been possible. To all our volunteers we owe a deep gratitude for the many personal and time consuming sacrifices. Above all, a thank you to our family members and partners for their unconditional support and sacrifices
I must admit that the comradrie and competition with Kyle, Eric and Carsten really made me extend my limits. It was intense and exciting. I was most impressed wth Kyle's offer to lend me a set of his tires when I had consumed my set at the last event - a true sportsman and a gentleman!
Thank you to Gary Wood and his innovative 'Canadian track day adventures' which helped me improve my skills for this competition.
It was great to see Kelly again at the track.
As for event 5 & 6, I learnt that there is always more to achieve even when it seems impossible. That your best friends are the ones you play and compete with. And the best times in your life are at the track! ( with OTA of course)
Mohamed

matbriand
09-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Something I just thought I'd share about this event is that I wish there were more time between drivers meeting in the morning and the first run group.

I felt kind of rushed to get back to the trailer and suit up for my session. An earlier meeting by maybe ten minutes would have helped me be ready on time.

Gwoody27
09-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Something I just thought I'd share about this event is that I wish there were more time between drivers meeting in the morning and the first run group.

I felt kind of rushed to get back to the trailer and suit up for my session. An earlier meeting by maybe ten minutes would have helped me be ready on time.

The mornings are pretty busy and we don't announce which group will be on track first until the driver's meeting, so things are rushed. That's why many people come to the driver's meeting already suited up and ready to go, in case they are up first.

Gary
09-10-2016, 12:06 PM
;Something I just thought I'd share about this event is that I wish there were more time between drivers meeting in the morning and the first run group.

I feel your pain. Having organized a couple of events this year, I agree that mornings can be pretty hectic.

A couple of points:

1. Contrary to Gary W's assertion, we actually did specify the order of the run groups for practice in the Supplementary Regs for events 1, 5 & 6. I know this because I wrote the Regs. :D I think we also did this for the other events too, but I don't have all the Supp Regs at hand to check. But, I think that reference to the Supp Regs should tell you whether or not you have to be ready right after the meeting. That should help.

2. As organizer for two events I had occasion to be at the track early, so as to try to get organized for the day. What I noticed is that, just like other things in life, some folks are there bright and early and ready, and others, who are likely not morning people or who have other things to deal with, including travel from a distance, arrive late. Then we have the usual registration and tech issues to sort out, and we have to try to help folks who are new. All this takes time, so between 7:30 and 8:30 there is a lot going on. At the first event, we were still doing tech and classifying cars during and after the driver's meeting, for example. Pushing things earlier might be a challenge, although it gets better as the season progresses. Nevertheless, we should think about what we might do to streamline things, including making the driver's meeting short and to the point, so as to ensure the first group of drivers have time to get to their cars and be on the grid by 9:00AM.

But, as with many things, there is a balance to be struck between keeping things moving briskly, which challenges some competitors, especially if they have issues they are trying to sort out, and providing lots of time, which causes other competitors to get annoyed at the slow pace.

Speaking personally, I'm a fan of a brisk pace, simply because it maximizes track time, and keeps the day from being too long.