PDA

View Full Version : fuel cell rules clarification

ScotcH
11-17-2016, 04:23 PM
Does the following rule in the CASC-OR rules:

2.1.1 A Fuel Cell is defined as consisting of an inner bladder/tank, manufactured to FIA FT3 specifications, or better, approved fuel cell foam and a metal container as specified herein.

State that the fuel cell must bear an FIA FT3 certification, or simply that it is built to these specs? Ie, Fuel Safe has several lines of fuel cells available, and some don't have the sticker, but are built the same. Obvioulsy, they are cheaper.

As another example, would the following fuel cell pass CASC-OR tech? they are built to exceed SFI 28.1 spec ... does that exceed FT3 spec?:
http://www.jazproducts.com/store/pro-sport-with-45-degree-flapper-filler

What cells do the NAStrucks and former stock cars that run in CASC-OR use for fuel cells?

DEK
11-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Arek, may I suggest YOU do several things.
!) read and become familiar with the rest of the sections of Appendix 'M' that deal with "fuel cells" and "fuel tanks" . Doing that may satisfy some of you questions.
Regarding "unlabelled" fuel cells. I would certainly.. be open to view
verifiable test results of "unlabelled fuel cells" and comparisons to the test results of FIA Approved fuel cells .
I would also be open to viewing the test results of SFI approved fuel cells vs the same test
results for FIA approved fuel cells.

Note, not everything that isn't allowed to use a "stock" tank requires a fuel cell. A full tube frame car/truck can use a "fuel tank" as described in Appendix 'M'

I hope this helps

ScotcH
11-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Well, no it does not really help. I've read the rules ... it does not say "must be FT3 certified and have a sticker", just says must be constructed according to FT3 spec or better. Obviously I'm not going to provide manufacturers test results, since I don't have access to those. Having said that, are you saying that if it does not bear an FIA FT3 spec sticker, it will not be accepted?

The Jaz product I linked has states the following:
•Seamless rotomolded cross-linked polyethylene inner shell
•Available with or without safety foam
•20 gauge welded steel container powder coated red

So can we try this one more time: Is that an acceptable fuel tank/fuel cell under the current CASC-OR rules?

metric1
11-17-2016, 08:01 PM
So can we try this one more time: Is that an acceptable fuel tank/fuel cell under the current CASC-OR rules?

Arek, It depends on who techs your car. It seems to vary from year to year and scrutineer, unfortunately. In my understanding of the rules, yes, it is acceptable. I have a similar one in the Jetta. But what is acceptable in under FIA rules is not always legal under CASC????????? Odd, considering that FIA is the world standard.
But my new car will have an FIA FT3 fuelsafe cell. Of course, it's location, even though it's the same as VW's 2016 TCR car, will probably fail tech....

Perhaps it's time to update to the current FIA ruleset.

Slowpoke
11-17-2016, 10:32 PM

You will have to drill an inspection hole in your fuel cell and bladder in the tech line.

DEK
11-17-2016, 10:51 PM
Arek, the "tank" you have cited would be acceptable if it did have the "approved fuel cell
foam"( (from appendix 'M') The material of the "tank" itself is the required material, and the material and thickness of the steel container are as required by the CASC Regulations.

DEK
11-17-2016, 10:57 PM
Ian, when I read the FIA Regulations regarding Fuel Cells(that I'll admit I haven't done in the last few months) I don't remember "cross-linked Polymer" being an acceptable material. Maybe that was in a different section of the FIA Rules than what I was looking at.
Please provide the reference to the section of the FIA Rules that indicates "cross-linked
polymer" is an acceptable material for FIA Approved Fuel Cells.

DEK
11-17-2016, 11:14 PM
Ian, FYI, this is the FIA Section I was referring to
http://www.fia.com/file/2119/download/9013?token=-ZdQzbaL

ScotcH
11-18-2016, 12:05 AM
Thanks Dave. The "cross-linked polymer" phrase comes from the CASC-OR rules:

2.1.2 A Fuel Tank is defined as consisting of a cross-linked polymer tank intended for use as a fuel tank in a racecar, approved fuel cell foam and a metal container as specified herein.

DEK
11-18-2016, 09:01 AM
Arek, yes I knew that. That would make the "tank" you are referring to a
"fuel tank" not a "fuel cell".