PDA

View Full Version : a question regarding the workshop

shamrock
11-30-2016, 10:56 AM
In reviewing the presentation slides, I noticed this:

"Old rule: You had to be an affiliated club member to accumulate CASC Championship points
New rule: You must have a CASC Road racing Licence to accumulate CASC Championship points"

does this mean that a CASC licenced racer does not have to be a member of an affiliated club ( or any club) any more to participate?

ScotcH
11-30-2016, 11:51 AM

"Old rule: You had to be an affiliated club member to accumulate CASC Championship points
New rule: You must have a CASC Road racing Licence to accumulate CASC Championship points"

does this mean that a CASC licenced racer does not have to be a member of an affiliated club ( or any club) any more to participate?

Don't you need to be affiliated with a club in order to get the license in the first place? I think that would basically answer your question.

I suppose a follow up is that ASN License holders cannot accumulate CASC Championship points ... which is probably fine for most, but I suppose some might find issue with having to apply and pay for more than one license if they want to participate in more than one series.

Doug P
11-30-2016, 02:37 PM
It was presented that a licence holder from another area that wanted points had to pay for a CASC licence however a rebate was going to be issued as well as access to the bonus discounts for second events and such. Sounds like a good positive approach all around.

shamrock
11-30-2016, 08:44 PM
Don't you need to be affiliated with a club in order to get the license in the first place? I think that would basically answer your question.

I suppose a follow up is that ASN License holders cannot accumulate CASC Championship points ... which is probably fine for most, but I suppose some might find issue with having to apply and pay for more than one license if they want to participate in more than one series.

Well thats exactly my point. Either its poorly written or you don't need to belong to a club anymore. A material change.

Shark
12-01-2016, 09:17 AM
If you want to run a series and collect points in that series and maybe even a trophy, then it only follows that you should support the sanctioning body and its member clubs, who are the ones that put on the events, at great expense, I might add...

So, if you are just a guest, or doing a one off event from any other organization, SCCA for example, then you will not get points towards a championship.

If you want to run for points or the championship in CASC sanctioned events, then you will want to have a CASC licence.

And yes you must be a member of one of the clubs as it's always been.

Any driver is welcome of course.

Makes total sense to me........

shamrock
12-01-2016, 10:09 AM

Thanks Ray. asked and answered. A simple yes or no. Done.

ScotcH
12-01-2016, 12:50 PM
If you want to run a series and collect points in that series and maybe even a trophy, then it only follows that you should support the sanctioning body and its member clubs, who are the ones that put on the events, at great expense, I might add...

So, if you are just a guest, or doing a one off event from any other organization, SCCA for example, then you will not get points towards a championship.

If you want to run for points or the championship in CASC sanctioned events, then you will want to have a CASC licence.

And yes you must be a member of one of the clubs as it's always been.

Any driver is welcome of course.

Makes total sense to me........

I do agree that you need to be a member of an affiliated club, but I can have an ASN license, be affiliated with a CASC-OR Club (and hence pay my CASC-OR dues), but would not be eligible for points ... unless I buy ANOTHER license. Not usually a problem for most, but some people do like to run in multiple series.

Doug P
12-01-2016, 05:45 PM
I do agree that you need to be a member of an affiliated club, but I can have an ASN license, be affiliated with a CASC-OR Club (and hence pay my CASC-OR dues), but would not be eligible for points ... unless I buy ANOTHER license. Not usually a problem for most, but some people do like to run in multiple series.

CASC is giving a significant rebate to you when you apply for a CASC licence. On top of that your first event will give you significant discount off another event. So in the end I think the licence is pretty much free. Wht is this a problem?

I have a CASC licence. I would like to participate in a race that requires an ASN licence. Can I do that without buying ANOTHER licence?

brucegre
12-14-2016, 02:19 AM
Uh-oh, so I'm an MCO member but I have an ASN National license since CASC-OR can't grant that license. Now I have to get a regional license as well? Seriously?

Doug Allingham
12-14-2016, 05:02 PM
I agree with Bruce. Seriously!

terrydale
12-14-2016, 11:50 PM
With respect - maybe the best place to express concerns and/or get the right answer is to ask the CASC-OR Race Director, not by throwing conjecture and guesses around on a web site? Worth a try.................

You can get in touch with him here - <racedirector@casc.on.ca>

ScotcH
12-15-2016, 12:29 AM
Well, this is the official CASC-OR road race forum ... should the race director not monitor it and respond to questions? An answer or discussion posted here benefits all members, not just a single email recipient.

terrydale
12-15-2016, 12:39 AM
Well, this is the official CASC-OR road race forum ... should the race director not monitor it and respond to questions? An answer or discussion posted here benefits all members, not just a single email recipient.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be monitored, Arek. But it started November 30and there still is just speculation. A quick personal email to the Race Director might get an answer quicker.............just a thought.

Or.............its a long winter, let's see how long we can keep this going! :)

ScotcH
12-15-2016, 01:03 AM
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be monitored, Arek. But it started November 30and there still is just speculation. A quick personal email to the Race Director might get an answer quicker.............just a thought.

Or.............its a long winter, let's see how long we can keep this going! :)

I think the question has already been answered ... and now it's just discussion. And yes, it's a long winter ... I got shit to weld and wire, and Sebring is closing fast ... but sometimes I need a break ;)

terrydale
12-15-2016, 01:33 AM
I think the question has already been answered ... and now it's just discussion. And yes, it's a long winter ... I got shit to weld and wire, and Sebring is closing fast ... but sometimes I need a break ;)

:)

Shark
12-15-2016, 10:37 AM
Just my 2 cents...
I think the forums have been on thin ice for a while now. What I mean by that is some people would like to see them gone. Why ???
Too much negativity.
Bad for potential sponsors, bad for everyone.
Eg. When I go on some forum looking up something, which may be from the U.S. for instance, as soon as I read the first couple of posts and it's all negative stuff, I usually leave right there.
There's nothing wrong with good healthy discussion but we need to do it in a positive way and more importantly, people who post things need to be in some cases, more informed before putting out bad info.
In the last couple of years, I've heard lots of mis-information from people.
If we want out beloved sport to be healthy, then we all need to stick together and make it successful.

If you want to see a good example of how to use the forums, look at the Radical section... those guys are all positive. If there is a question, I'm sure they email Robert directly for an answer...

By the way, my intention is not to start 12 long pages of this...

Merry Xmas

Slowpoke
12-15-2016, 07:27 PM
I wasn't there, that this isn't intended negatively, but it sounds like a points and protest processing fee. It's not really a license, since they're not concerned about your driving. They let you enter, after all. Helps the locals protect their championship aspirations vs. visitors to the series for those who aren't motivated to apply. CASC-OR Autoslalom would be the a precedent, as they do a similar thing.

If it's $10 or less, it covers the cost of printing and mailing your license.

If it's more than that, it covers the administrative time that you and your fellow ASN or SCCA racers create. It also helps keep the lights on at CASC-OR where the clubs, committees and volunteers that keep Race division running meet.