PDA

View Full Version : Question for the CCC

k.beaty
12-01-2016, 01:09 PM
I have a question regarding rule 5.1.A3.3:
A rear spoiler is defined as non-OE contoured lip mounted on the trunk lid or roof. Installation of a rear spoiler with a height above the basic body contour of 1” or more.

I am considering adding a gurney flap to my OEM rear spoiler and need some clarification. I read this rule as I can add one without claiming this PIP, as long as it stays less less than 1" higher than the stock rear spoiler's highest point. If the flap extends higher than 1" above the factory rear spoiler, than the PIP must be claimed. Also, I don't see anywhere that mentions how far rearward the non-OE spoiler can extend. I assume this means that it's open?

Can the CCC please confirm?

Slowpoke
12-05-2016, 04:12 PM
My interpretation for the <1" height on Gurney flaps is this same. A standard Gurney flap, with a vertical profile.

My interpretation of how far back a spoiler can go is 4" of the original bodywork at 1 PIP, >4" at 2 PIPs. So, off the trunk lid, it would seem that you can go ~8" back of the typical trunk.

My interpretation of the rule is also that you can not build a level horizontal surface 4" back of the rearmost OE point with a rise of <1.0" PIP free.

John P
12-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Kyle, Thanks for your questions, to clarify the Aero rules.

I presume the Gurney flap is on top of an OEM spoiler, which isn't part of the "basic body contour". In previous CCC discussion, the 1 PIP for a spoiler would apply for a gurney flap on top of OE Spoiler.

On "how far a non OE spoiler can extend rear of the car", maybe the spoiler rule needs re-writing per Steve's interpretation .

Also, we should clarify the gurney flap vs rear spoiler rule. Maybe a gurney flap warrants one PIP if on OEM or non OEM spoiler? Dave?

Rule 4.4.1 is an over riding rule about items not mentioned in the rules. "Authorized modifications for the appropriate vehicle category are the only
permitted modifications. If these Regulations, or a current year CASC-OR Bulletin, do not specifically permit a modification to the original equipment
specifications, then the modification is not authorized. (i.e., If in doubt - donít.)"

Brutus
12-30-2016, 11:48 AM
John,

This discussion got me thinking about car preparation rule changes for 2017.

1/ Where are the 2017 rules posted ?
2/ If the entire 2017 rules have not posted, can you advise the specific rule changes that relate to car preparation please.

Jud

John P
12-30-2016, 03:44 PM
Hi Jud,

There have been a few ideas for minor clarification such as the Aero rules above Also there were ideas for Handling Index changes on a few cars. Otherwise the 2016 rules should apply.

Dave Barker can update you on current status.

John

Brutus
12-30-2016, 04:17 PM
Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply. I look forward to hearing from Dave Barker.

Happy New Year everyone!

Jud.

k.beaty
01-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Hi Jud,

There have been a few ideas for minor clarification such as the Aero rules above Also there were ideas for Handling Index changes on a few cars. Otherwise the 2016 rules should apply.

John

Which cars are being considered for Handling Index changes?

wparsons
01-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Which cars are being considered for Handling Index changes?

1990 Celica GT-S'... only black ones :D

Brutus
01-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Hi Jud,

John

Hello Dave Barker and the CCC. Can you please provide a date when this clarification and changes will be posted ?

Many thanks.

Jud.

Dave Barker
01-09-2017, 10:51 PM
Jud, this is still in process. We are struggling a bit with how to classify cars with PDK or similar transmissions. Unfortunately anything else would be done by bulletin but I don't expect much if anything.

I would agree with Stephen's comments re aero rule interpretations (post #2 )

Brutus
01-09-2017, 11:08 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the update. Interesting that you mention PDK. as I had been thinking of swapping a PDK into my Acadian, with paddles of course. Maybe next year ... lol

Jud.

WrenchTime
01-24-2017, 11:14 PM
Sounds like this needs more clarification.

A flap on a non-spoilered car that is 1" or less sounds PIP-free if I'm following correctly.