PDA

View Full Version : 2017 schedule

Grant Galloway
12-01-2016, 08:35 PM
Perhaps this question comes a little too pre-mature, remember it comes from a guy who missed a good part of this season do to an unfortunate brush with a certain concrete wall at turn 2..

Lots of work being done over the winter, but curious to know if we have any dates for 2017 yet? Really hoping to see Grand Bend come back to the schedule, great place for friends and family to come out and enjoy the beach and some racing!

Thanks
Grant

k.beaty
12-02-2016, 09:21 AM
Perhaps this question comes a little too pre-mature, remember it comes from a guy who missed a good part of this season do to an unfortunate brush with a certain concrete wall at turn 2..

Lots of work being done over the winter, but curious to know if we have any dates for 2017 yet? Really hoping to see Grand Bend come back to the schedule, great place for friends and family to come out and enjoy the beach and some racing!

Thanks
Grant

I personally really like Grand Bend, but the attendance always seems to be down. Maybe because it's usually the last event of the year, and people have their "throw away" events left. I've heard that it's kind of out of the question because we can only run 1 configuration now, and people will get bored of the same track both days, which is understandable.

At the awards dinner, I suggested a weekend event, Grand Bend on Saturday, and TMP on Sunday. We could even have TMP start in the afternoon on Sunday so people can spend the night in Grand Bend, and drive to TMP in the morning. Practice at 1:00 PM, and timed runs starting at 5:00 or 6:00. TMP is open until 9:00 - 9:30 PM in the summer.

If that doesn't work, I'd be all for a 1 day event at Grand Bend, like we did with TMP in 2016.

gaspeddle
12-03-2016, 11:36 PM
Grand Bend is a great event...not for the racing, but because it's the only race my wife will go to!

kmorris
12-05-2016, 08:35 AM
Plus all the pageantry and splendor of the skydiving school.

Slowpoke
12-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Sorry guys, Grand Bend is not on the schedule for 2017. Despite best efforts including double points, too hard to break even there. Planning on the same tracks as 2016 with different dates. We don't consider dates firm until the tracks accept our deposits after confirming with the larger race organizations.

Slowpoke
12-06-2016, 02:05 PM
May 13, School, CTMP DDT
June 10, Event 1, TMP
June 24, School, CTMP GP
June 25, Event 2, CTMP
July 29, Event 3, CTMP DDT
July 30, Event 4, CTMP DDT
August 26, Event 5, SMP
August 27, Event 6, SMP

G-ForceJunkie
12-08-2016, 09:06 PM
FWIW - I'm another who would've liked to see an event at Grand Bend (based strictly on geography for me). Surprised with how cheap the track is it still doesn't work out - guess it's pretty far for most.

10gt61
12-09-2016, 01:07 PM
OTA has to thrive financially in order to give GBR another try. Could happen but not just yet. I certainly miss it too. Was always a great weekend away for drivers and their families/friends.

Grant Galloway
12-09-2016, 10:10 PM
It sucks for guys who live west of Mississauga! The drive to some of these other tracks is absolutely horrific for us guys..

Maybe I will run the CSCS event there if they have it!

I will likely run Just run 5 events and skip mosport..

My wallet still hasn't forgiven that place!

Grant

Slowpoke
12-10-2016, 01:31 AM
Maybe I will run the CSCS event there if they have it!

1qwkmini
12-11-2016, 12:06 PM
Just a thought!!!

What if you run the school at GBR along with an event the next day??
New people will be eager to attend the school, instructors will already be on site and that should ensure a good turnout for the school and event.

Dave Barker
12-11-2016, 02:51 PM
It is kind of unfortunate that we can't run GBR counterclockwise (like we can no longer run DDT counterclockwise) which basically leaves us with the technical track and not much different modified track layouts only. It seems we can get people to come out to both days at the DDT with only fairly mild changes to the track but no doubt this is due to its proximity to the centre of the Universe.

Personally, I kind of like GBR, and like it is for others, Grand Bend is a lot more fun to visit than Belleville but our experience has been that non enough people show up to make the events at GBR break even (let alone make any profit) so until the series starts making more money, we will just have to wait.

On another note, it would be nice if GBR could remove some of the concrete at the end of the runway straight that would make counterclockwise a possibility but I don't really know what is on the other side of that concrete.

wparsons
12-11-2016, 10:39 PM
It sucks for guys who live west of Mississauga! The drive to some of these other tracks is absolutely horrific for us guys..

CTMP is only 30km's further than GBR from Cambridge (I think you're in that area).

SMP is another story though :D Cambridge to SMP is about the same drive time as Whitby to GBR, and that's too far for my liking.

10gt61
12-12-2016, 12:21 PM
C'mon guys....show a little commitment! No one has a race track in their back yard. All part of the experience!

Slowpoke
12-12-2016, 01:02 PM
On another note, it would be nice if GBR could remove some of the concrete at the end of the runway straight that would make counterclockwise a possibility but I don't really know what is on the other side of that concrete.

Drag strip run off. Likely NHRA mandated length and protection.

https://goo.gl/maps/inpyLpSVA6n

G-ForceJunkie
12-12-2016, 07:26 PM
Is it us that decides it can't be run CCW or the insurance companies? Could just put a chicane in the straight.

Grant Galloway
12-14-2016, 02:16 PM
I actually consider GBR my home track, agree with you Will about the distance, however I can get to GBR a lot quicker and return home quicker than I can CTMP.

Heck I was a regular fixture at the Bend on Thursday night lapping.

Grand Bend you can run the technical track, screaming Alien, you can also run screaming alien in reverse, this shortens the back straight away and makes for a safer condition!

The setup there a few years ago where OTA was using the full front straight was the most dangerous in my opinion..

Either way I will be supporting the series and looking forward to a better 2017.

Car is in pieces right now in preparation for the safety improvements.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas ans a safe and happy holiday season!

Cheers
Grant

Brutus
12-16-2016, 11:21 PM
Thanks very much for posting the 2017 schedule at this time of the year.

Slowpoke
01-24-2017, 12:35 AM
Please be aware that we've had to move our June 3rd TMP date to June 10th TMP. There was no option. We're sorry if anyone had already made plans that need to be adjusted.

On the bright side, we're not conflicting with Global Time Attack anymore, and there's an extra week's break between CTDA (http://www.ontario.ca) and OTA.

WrenchTime
01-24-2017, 10:21 PM
Just be thankful you're not coming from Windsor!

alexb29
01-25-2017, 04:35 PM
No conflicts with GTA, only one conflict with CSCS, more time between CTDA and OTA... That all sounds excellent! Great work with the schedule! OTA won't have to fight with other series for participants. Here's hoping we have a good year so we can head back to GBR and Calabogie (hopefully) :) :) :)

Time Attack Director
04-01-2017, 04:29 AM
Remember, if you want a short-cut to finding all of the OTA events on MSREG, Just go to http://tinyurl.com/otaevents

ONdriver
04-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Remember, if you want a short-cut to finding all of the OTA events on MSREG, Just go to http://tinyurl.com/otaevents

Or http://casc.motorsportreg.com/ also works if you commit that to memory! :D