PDA

View Full Version : Simpson Hybrid head restraint 3 point belt compatible

10gt61
12-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Just reading about the Simpson head restraint designed to work with OEM 3 point belts. Anyone had any experience with this item?

Slowpoke
12-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Just reading about the Simpson head restraint designed to work with OEM 3 point belts. Anyone had any experience with this item?

Better to go this route. Get the harness grips. https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/quickfit-pro

10gt61
12-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Better to go this route. Get the harness grips. https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/quickfit-pro

Looks interesting too. Only concern I would have is inability to move out of the way in a rollover scenario. Without roll bar or cage I don't see how a hans is safe.

Slowpoke
12-12-2016, 05:04 PM
It has the ASM yielding inner belt you insisted be written into the rules... but you won't use it? :)

wparsons
12-12-2016, 05:11 PM
Basilar skull fractures with 3 point belts are extremely rare from what I've seen since your body twists as it decelerates. The issue is when your shoulders are pinned to the seat and your head keeps going.

10gt61
12-12-2016, 06:06 PM
It has the ASM yielding inner belt you insisted be written into the rules... but you won't use it? :)

I made that decision after a lot of research and I stand by it. But this head and neck restraint use with 3 point belts is new territory (to me anyway), so just researching it too. If there is an ASM yielding inner belt, then that is indeed a good thing and it just might work! More reading to do....

10gt61
12-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Basilar skull fractures with 3 point belts are extremely rare from what I've seen since your body twists as it decelerates. The issue is when your shoulders are pinned to the seat and your head keeps going.

Exactly. Hence the need to be very careful with safety equipment. To be honest, anything short of full cage, hans, driving suit etc. is really just a band aid solution to safety. Might be better off going for the full kit or staying with OEM set up. It certainly worked for me in my situation, but maybe I was lucky....

wparsons
12-13-2016, 10:50 AM
Exactly. Hence the need to be very careful with safety equipment. To be honest, anything short of full cage, hans, driving suit etc. is really just a band aid solution to safety. Might be better off going for the full kit or staying with OEM set up. It certainly worked for me in my situation, but maybe I was lucky....

Newer cars have to pass really strict safety requirements to be sold, so unless you're changing part of the system it should still be very safe.

Poot24
12-13-2016, 11:26 AM
I actually participated in the Manufacturer live webcast to bring this product to the fore and after seeing all of the data and video test results and listening to various speakers - it convinced me that it is an improvement over just 3 point in a crash when it comes to basal skull fracture. Didn't pull the trigger on the flash sale because I Am just debating whether to go full race car this year and compete in GT sprints / challenge or just lap in my daily again. Decisions decisions...