PDA

View Full Version : front/rear windows

endura
12-20-2016, 03:18 PM
OEM glass, sides/rear for a Miata.

1-allowed to run with drivers side down/passengers side up?
2-drivers window net still mandatory if running drivers window up?
3-clarification on below rule, how do you open a window from outside wihout tools?
21.0 VENTILATION AND ACCESS
GT vehicles shall run with the Driver front door window either fully open or fully closed. They shall be
constructed to allow rapid egress on both sides of the vehicle.
When either door is permanently in the closed position, the window in that door shall be easily opened or
removed from both the interior and exterior of the vehicle without tools.
4-allowed to remove rear windshield? would not be replaced, stays open.
Tks.

DEK
01-12-2017, 06:19 PM
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) If the car is stock body and the passenger window is UP and there
is NO exterior door handle on that door then window removal may apply.
Is in the rules to cover fabricated cars that have no functional doors

endura
01-14-2017, 01:06 AM
Understood, with thanks.

Questions 1-3 moot at this point. Abandoned the windows up option, no practical solution with regards to cockpit temperatures. Will run windows down.

Question #4 regarding removal of rear window?

DEK
01-14-2017, 03:02 PM
Re Question # 4 . The Expectation is that if the "car/truck" has a roof in "street/stock" form and in that form it has a rear window/hatch "glass" that it would have a rear window,
either stock glass or approved replacement material (polycarbonate and clear untinted))
I guess if the vehicle one is racing has a retractable window in stock form, a case could be
made to run with the rear window open. Token ventilation holes are permitted in the
rear window/hatch. This applies to GT Sprints and GT Challenge. VARAC may have different
window requirements.
Chump Car Competitors running on a CASC grid as a "guest" of the CASC Race Director
may be allowed to have a car prepared to the complete Chump Car vehicle rule set.
I have not seen the 2017 Chump Car Vehicle preparation ruleset.

endura
01-15-2017, 12:31 AM
Nothing to do with Chump. Planning on running CASC and VARAC.

If I'd like to actually ''make a case'' for being allowed to remove the rear window from the hardtop, is there/what is the next step?

Can state arguments here or in private, fine either way.

max attack
01-16-2017, 07:15 PM
With no rear window I think the air gets sucked back in,along with exhaust fumes.

Duct from the rear bulkhead thru the trunk to license plate panel and let the low pressure area behind the car suck the air out of the cabin?.

DEK
01-20-2017, 10:52 PM
See Section 9.3 of the VARAC car preparation rules.