PDA

View Full Version : GT Sprints Drivers - Looking for Feedback

CAllen
05-26-2017, 09:39 PM
Hello All,

For some of you, it's been a while since you've seen me around. There is a rumour that I might be back, although I can't confirm that yet. In the spirit of thinking I may be back, I was curious how you guys felt about an idea I have.

Last weekend at an ARCA race in Toledo, Ohio, a driver experienced trouble egressing from his race car after it caught fire. That driver was very critical of the response of the Safety Team, and rightly so, except when it comes to his concern that the Safety Team didn't help him egress. I've always considered egress to be something a driver should be able to do unaided in under 15 seconds.

IF, and that's a very big IF, I end up ECS'ing an event this year, instead of impounding all the GT Sprints folks, I was wondering how you all would feel about doing the below instead:

1. During the course of the weekend, each driver entered for GT Sprints will report to impound in his/her car fully belted in and wearing all required gear (including HANS).

2. When that driver reports to impound, he/she will perform an egress test. The driver may egress via the driver's side, the passenger side, or blindfolded via the driver's side. The driver's egress time will be recorded. The driver may do the test two times.

3. A proper egress includes going from fully geared up and properly belted in the car to outside the car, having also tapped the kill switch and/or onboard extinguisher switches in the car.

4. After the last GT Sprints race of the weekend, the drivers with the best times for a driver's side egress, a passenger side egress, and a blindfolded egress will all get a $10 Tim Horton's Gift Card which I will fund myself personally.

Why am I doing this? Well, there's entertainment value, obviously :D There's the incentive for you folks to practice egress, which I feel is really important. There's also a competition, and let's face it, you folks are pretty competitive both on and off the track. Finally, it's in your best interest to practice and be able to egress quickly and efficiently. I actually want to do this because I do care about what happens to you folks out there. :eek:

So what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Want to start trash talking each other about it? ;)

observer
05-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Personally, I would do it. When I bought the Miata last year, that was one of the tests I did in my own garage (well not the blindfold). Tried with door open and closed. The hardest part was the HANS catching on the head bolsters of the seat. But I did not try the passenger side - something to try next time.

DJones
06-01-2017, 09:45 PM
Great idea Colene . Considering the consequences , I think it would be an easy thing to do at impound after a session (race) .

DavidSim
06-02-2017, 08:21 PM
I personally don't see the value if this is a regular thing at each race, believe me I can get out of my car quick if/when I need to. The race weekends are busy enough, in particular for guys like me that do everything on their own, I see it as an unnecessary burden I just don't need thank you very much.

I understand you have everyone's safety in mind Colene, and that is commendable, but I don't see a benefit for me.

abrracing
06-03-2017, 01:49 PM
I would think that one would do this with their car long before they ever got to the racetrack?! We do it every year if we are racing. If I take more than 17 seconds............I'm not getting in my car on the track, time to retire.

Doug Stark
06-13-2017, 03:22 PM
I personally don't see the value if this is a regular thing at each race, believe me I can get out of my car quick if/when I need to. The race weekends are busy enough, in particular for guys like me that do everything on their own, I see it as an unnecessary burden I just don't need thank you very much.

I understand you have everyone's safety in mind Colene, and that is commendable, but I don't see a benefit for me.

But its NOT about YOU.

Its about the guy that can't get out of his car inside of 5 minutes, (I kid you not) whom exposes me track side at the bottom of 2A in an impact area during a race and whom the region does very little about after receiving a written signed safety complaint from yours truly. If you require help to unplug stuff, to reach belts, to remove a HANS, to remove the netting, remove your helmet because you can't get out of the car with it on and STILL you can't get out over the lateral support bar that goes across the door opening without help...:rolleyes: 5 minutes. Look at your watch and begin timing it. Meanwhile race control hassling your com operator to 'hurry it up'. What am I supposed to do, walk away and leave him? So I hope you all enjoy those full course yellows for ludicrous reasons when a simple pull off becomes a safety issue requiring a Race Director to act because of a guy sitting in his car acting like a turtle upside down trying to reach clips he can't seem to reach.

Not to use a sledgehammer to drive the point home here but its about *that guy* and an 'over all' test catching these people without appearing to be targeting them, (even if I think the at fault here should be targeted - its above my non pay level).

And while I'm at it: why is it racers religiously pull over to drivers right after having a mechanical after they go past 5C? Let me point out something here - there are NO workers drivers right from the exit of 4 all the way through to corner 8. At 5, 5C and 6 we can't cross the track - only station 7 can cross a worker over the foot bridge to get to drivers right.

Please, please, if you have an issue as you approach the marshals at station 5C make your decision THEN and pull over drivers left so we can get to you if you need help. If you start chugging and think you are having fuel pick up issues and hope you can get back to the pits, at least get over to drivers left side of the racing surface when you are at some sort of race speed where if you can't make it up the hill, at least you aren't pulling left at slow speed.

If you pull right between 5C and 6 lets say and have a big issue - its going to be at minimum, 1 minute from the call from either station that a rescue vehicle gets to you from corner 5. Same with a medical issue and you are dead smack between stations - we can't see hundreds of feet into a sedan to see if you are unconscious or just talking to the crew.

After 30 years of marshaling - I still see this happening every race weekend. Do we need to put up one of those green circle P signs and an arrow by the big overhead sign just past 5c? :D

Just thinking about you guy's and gals. (shrug)

TJMotorsport
06-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Fifteen seconds. Everyone has enough time to spare to do the test. There shouldn't even be an argument. It's for your own safety. Rearrange your schedule, practice at home or don't participate. Too strong an opinion? Too bad. This is motorsport and if that's too much for you go play golf.

Coleen I support your idea 100%. Anything that makes it safer for everyone is worth considering and this is a no brainer.

DavidSim
06-13-2017, 05:37 PM
>>But its NOT about YOU.<<

>>Too strong an opinion? Too bad. This is motorsport and if that's too much for you go play golf.<<

Wow,

why bother asking people for their opinion, with that type of attitude no wonder the numbers have been dwindling over the years.

So let me be just as direct:

For me, it would be of no benefit, and I have not seen anything at the track that leads me to believe there is a serious problem that requires action !!!

TJMotorsport
06-13-2017, 06:53 PM
David, if you can successfully egress from your race vehicle in less than 15 seconds than you are correct, it is of no (added) benefit to you. But Doug is correct, it's not about you. It's about the greater good of all participants whether they be the ones belted into the cars, or the ones responding to them. Being able to extract yourself from your car in a timely manner should the need arise is absolutely an important safety requirement. People complained when Hans device's were mandated and people will grumble now should egress testing be a requirement. But the greater good outweighs the noisy few.

fastnx
06-14-2017, 03:36 PM
And while I'm at it: why is it racers religiously pull over to drivers right after having a mechanical after they go past 5C? Let me point out something here - there are NO workers drivers right from the exit of 4 all the way through to corner 8. At 5, 5C and 6 we can't cross the track - only station 7 can cross a worker over the foot bridge to get to drivers right.

Please, please, if you have an issue as you approach the marshals at station 5C make your decision THEN and pull over drivers left so we can get to you if you need help. If you start chugging and think you are having fuel pick up issues and hope you can get back to the pits, at least get over to drivers left side of the racing surface when you are at some sort of race speed where if you can't make it up the hill, at least you aren't pulling left at slow speed.

If you pull right between 5C and 6 lets say and have a big issue - its going to be at minimum, 1 minute from the call from either station that a rescue vehicle gets to you from corner 5. Same with a medical issue and you are dead smack between stations - we can't see hundreds of feet into a sedan to see if you are unconscious or just talking to the crew.

After 30 years of marshaling - I still see this happening every race weekend. Do we need to put up one of those green circle P signs and an arrow by the big overhead sign just past 5c?

Thank you for pointing that out. I have been racing since 2009 and this has never occurred to me. I am probably not the only one who is not aware of how bad of an idea it is to pull over on driver's right on this section of the track.

Doug P
06-14-2017, 09:00 PM
Thank you for pointing that out. I have been racing since 2009 and this has never occurred to me. I am probably not the only one who is not aware of how bad of an idea it is to pull over on driver's right on this section of the track.

It was also stated "If you pull right between 5C and 6 lets say and have a big issue - its going to be at minimum, 1 minute from the call from either station that a rescue vehicle gets to you from corner 5. Same with a medical issue and you are dead smack between stations - we can't see hundreds of feet into a sedan to see if you are unconscious or just talking to the crew."

Minimum 1 minute? Wow, very surprised. Seems to be a very long time.

Mike Canner
06-15-2017, 01:39 AM
[QUOTE=
Minimum 1 minute? Wow, very surprised. Seems to be a very long time.[/QUOTE]

The stretch from 5c to 6 is not a clean run on the backside of the guardrail and getting any where there quickly is a challenge. If you have an issue closer to the six flag stand, by the time the call is made and the response team from 5 gets clearance, make it onto the track, gets up to speed then stops, exits the vehicle and gets to you can easily take the better part of a minute. A quick look at a Radical in car lap shows it is the better part of 20 seconds at speed between the stand at 5 to just before the stand at 6 and, quick as the response staff are, they are not faster than a Radical so 60 seconds is a very real timeline. Therefore it is not impossible you are "self serve" for 60 plus seconds at some locations and if you are in a real difficult situation and need to get out of the vehicle being able to do it solo in 15 seconds or less sounds like a very safe and smart concept.

Doug P
06-15-2017, 08:54 AM
The stretch from 5c to 6 is not a clean run on the backside of the guardrail and getting any where there quickly is a challenge. If you have an issue closer to the six flag stand, by the time the call is made and the response team from 5 gets clearance, make it onto the track, gets up to speed then stops, exits the vehicle and gets to you can easily take the better part of a minute. A quick look at a Radical in car lap shows it is the better part of 20 seconds at speed between the stand at 5 to just before the stand at 6 and, quick as the response staff are, they are not faster than a Radical so 60 seconds is a very real timeline. Therefore it is not impossible you are "self serve" for 60 plus seconds at some locations and if you are in a real difficult situation and need to get out of the vehicle being able to do it solo in 15 seconds or less sounds like a very safe and smart concept.

Great info.