PDA

View Full Version : What I learned…Picton 2017 edition

darcyw
05-29-2017, 01:05 AM
Well someone's gotta start one…jvf1 and I just returned home from Picton. 2 of our WOSCA friends del Sol Suze and Adam are no longer Picton virgins, so welcome to the club.

WIL…
1. Picton still impresses every time with an especially exciting and quite technical course on both days.
2. Acoustic grill is still a great place to eat.
3. Bailey's still looks shaky, but makes a great breakfast
4. Choices on course make for a lively debate in the paddock
5. 11 hours of driving for 20 minutes of seat time still worth it.
6. I think i want a Fiat 500 Abarth…thanks for the ride along!

thanks to the organizers, competitors, and volunteers for a fun weekend.

darcy

Travis
05-29-2017, 11:30 AM
-it's pretty easy to teach timing basics in about 2 minutes. We should probably teach everybody those basics by assigning special marshal stations much like how the start marshal is assigned.
-In my STI, the middle pedal was for rotation, and the right pedal was to stop rotation. In my BRZ, all 3 pedals cause rotation :D

buurin
05-29-2017, 02:44 PM
1. Thanks Travis for the opportunity. Doing timing was fun, and it will only get better. :D

2. I may have underestimated how well RE71 wears. I was worried I may not have enough tread left to last a day at Picton. Jamie said I have a whole season left. Sure enough, I finished the day without much appreciable wear.

3. You guys really have to make sure your numbers are clear and visible and get yourself registered via motorsportreg. We have many phantoms that would not reveal themselves because of these. Especially if you are co-driving, the number change must be complete when switching drivers. Magnetic sheet and dry-erase is an effective solution. Thank you to the father-daughter team #26/#36 for a demonstration.

4. GMRS radios are a godsend. We in Canada can use them without a license, so might as well.

5. We need to find out if we can have two laptops work with the same timing system. Trying to sort out registration details and log penalty calls at the same time can be a difficult juggle.

condor888000
05-30-2017, 12:47 AM
I believe multiple laptop's can be used, however the difficulty is with port availability IIRC. Its been a while since I've thought about it thought (7 years) and I could be wrong.

Check out Axti.Me's full timing solution as well. I find it to be so much easier to use than Axware due to proper division of responsibility among multiple timing team members to ensure that no one individual becomes task saturated and is unable to keep up. This does mean mean more people engaged on timing however.

Lynam55
05-30-2017, 09:11 AM
1) Don't show up to picton with HP plus rear pads and stock mazda front pads will make braking a handfull! Fun and loose but a hand full.

Daniel
05-30-2017, 09:38 AM
Miatas are faster than C7 Z06's! :eek::D

13inches
05-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Confucius say: don't use cannon to kill mosquito

Travis
05-30-2017, 10:16 AM
I believe multiple laptop's can be used, however the difficulty is with port availability IIRC. Its been a while since I've thought about it thought (7 years) and I could be wrong.

Check out Axti.Me's full timing solution as well. I find it to be so much easier to use than Axware due to proper division of responsibility among multiple timing team members to ensure that no one individual becomes task saturated and is unable to keep up. This does mean mean more people engaged on timing however.

I think going to Axti.Me is the way to go. We already use their live results app. Our RaceAmerica beams are compatible. We just need a few dedicated volunteers to help with the transition (install, test, read docs, etc) because I'm sure the first couple of events will be rough. We also need $700USD for licensing Axti.Me.
Bruce - can you make it rain volunteers & $$$$? :D

sjd
05-30-2017, 11:09 AM
I think going to Axti.Me is the way to go. We already use their live results app. Our RaceAmerica beams are compatible. We just need a few dedicated volunteers to help with the transition (install, test, read docs, etc) because I'm sure the first couple of events will be rough. We also need $700USD for licensing Axti.Me.
Bruce - can you make it rain volunteers & $$$$? :D

I can use AXtime and would be willing to assist with the transition Travis.

TOYSRUS
05-30-2017, 12:08 PM

If you are trying to goad me into a PAX defense it is NOT going to work!!

Daniel
05-30-2017, 12:14 PM
If you are trying to goad me into a PAX defense it is NOT going to work!!

Nah, I mean physically faster! Haha :D;)

Pax numbers might as well be arbitrary, no? At least here in Canada where nothing is, or really can be done to make them relevant.

TOYSRUS
05-30-2017, 03:19 PM
I couldn't agree more!

However I am pretty sure had we swapped cars, the Corvette would have been faster:)

LemonJus
05-30-2017, 10:16 PM
- The S2k likes to rotate
- The S2k likes to rotate more
- The S2k likes to rotate even more
- Speedsterguy is stupid good
- I suck

Fentin_fury
05-31-2017, 08:36 AM

ouch.... however said C7 was not working right so look out

Daniel
05-31-2017, 09:27 AM
What's up with the vette?

Maybe we should make the next one a drag race?!? :D lol

TOYSRUS
05-31-2017, 10:19 AM
Either ICE mode is being activated by my left foot braking or I am somehow losing brake vacuum causing a rock hard pedal and zero braking.

Lynam55
05-31-2017, 11:12 AM
Most new cars will not allow brake switch input and accelerator input at the same time. Some cars will even go into limp mode. Safety things.

Try and do a brake stand and see what's happens.

You would think with everything turned off it wouldn't happen.

Ziploc
05-31-2017, 11:30 AM
Either ICE mode is being activated by my left foot braking or I am somehow losing brake vacuum causing a rock hard pedal and zero braking.

How hard are you hitting it? Some cars have systems in place that will 'help' drivers in panic situations. And the car determines panic situations by how fast you go from throttle to brake.

http://www.onelapx1.com/blog/how-to-make-your-bmw-actually-fun

Doesn't explain the zero braking though.

sjd
05-31-2017, 06:19 PM
My vote is for ICE mode.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3950430-c7-autocross-ice-mode.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnsDTUypc4

Although this guy has swapped out the carbon ceramics.

Saj5DJ
06-01-2017, 12:33 AM
Have you checked if the random excuse generator is clogged?

TOYSRUS
06-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Looks like we have identified it as a vacuum assist problem. The boosted engine exacerbates the situation and the fact i left foot brake doesn't give the brake system time to see a vacuum during quick transitions from hard throttle at high rpm and hard braking. Corvette forum guys have been very helpful.

and Bahrie, I didn't bring it up, merely answering a question :)
I don't think i have to make any excuses for the weekend:D

Daniel
06-01-2017, 12:57 PM
I don't think i have to make any excuses for the weekend:D

Not when you're Pax King! :D ;)

max attack
06-01-2017, 08:01 PM

Hmm,maybe its time to collect the co-drive payback;)

TOYSRUS
06-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Anytime! :D

max attack
06-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Anytime! :D

Wicked!!.....too bad I have 0 time for events of any kind this yr and my own car is just sitting unloved in the trailer.:(

Maybe next yr.;)

Fentin_fury
06-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Have you checked if the random excuse generator is clogged?

it was me that pointed that out the issue

wparsons
06-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Most new cars will not allow brake switch input and accelerator input at the same time. Some cars will even go into limp mode. Safety things.

Try and do a brake stand and see what's happens.

You would think with everything turned off it wouldn't happen.

Not sure how most cars handle it, but in my car you have to be WOT and hard on the brakes for a few seconds before it does anything. You can still left foot brake, heel/toe, etc without the ECU interrupting at all.

Lynam55
06-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Not sure how most cars handle it, but in my car you have to be WOT and hard on the brakes for a few seconds before it does anything. You can still left foot brake, heel/toe, etc without the ECU interrupting at all.

All depends on the software logic provided by the manufacturer. Every car model/make is different.

Saj5DJ
06-09-2017, 02:13 PM
Some pics my Dad grabbed of SP/SM/P/M, feel free to use and repost as desired:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsfWwgClxrN4i2i7Wa9e42iA_Ego