PDA

View Full Version : What's the word on the Street

Tashko
06-01-2017, 12:31 AM
...tires, that is? I know, I'm so pun'y

Season is in full swing and I don't see any discussions about Street tires. Did everyone get R-comps?

I've been out of the game a few years but need some new boots for the new old car.

I'll probably only get to a couple events so DD comfort is more important. I have a set of Hohos I'll use when not lazy. I'll probably be lazy so need Streets.

Any experiences out there with the current crop of Hankook, BFG, Toyo, Bridgestone, Dunlop?

Cheers,
Tashko

Ziploc
06-01-2017, 10:22 AM
BFG and Bridgestones are top dog. BFG might ride harder due to the sidewall. And the BFGs are less good in the rain.

Just get the 'stones and air them down on the street if they're too stiff?

sjd
06-01-2017, 10:45 AM
I think just about everybody is on the RE71R's.

TOYSRUS
06-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Most sizes of bridgestones are on backorder.
The RS4 is a step slower but still a great tire
NEXEN SUR4G is a great choice, not as fast but damn quick and CHEAP!!!
BFG is the top choice if you are looking to win.

sjd
06-01-2017, 11:18 AM
BFG is the top choice if you are looking to win.

I thought the jury was out on that as it's car, setup, surface and driver dependent when is come to the BFG vs. the Bridgestone.

Curt B
06-01-2017, 01:43 PM
All I know is my Re-071R's are toast, as the Picton weekend was the start of my third season on that set of tires so they are garbage now.

If I can't find another set I will have to go RS4 or BFG I guess.

I did buy a 225/255 staggered set of RS4s for my street tires for our annual S2000 Tail of the Dragon trip last month and they were fantastic for aggressive mountain road driving.

If I have to go with a 255 square set for my autoslalom tires I think they will do pretty well.

Lynam55
06-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Im using Re71r for autox and
Rs4 for street. Or if I'm to lazy to switch out. I wonder how there going to feel on course, they feel great on the street so far.

rustysteel
06-02-2017, 12:30 PM
I've got some barely used Rivals, haven't tried them yet but they look good on the car. Going to be interesting to see how they compare to the Direzza ZII's.

TOYSRUS
06-02-2017, 03:26 PM
I thought the jury was out on that as it's car, setup, surface and driver dependent when is come to the BFG vs. the Bridgestone.

You could be right however the two tests i have seen show the BFG to be marginally (as in .10) faster. The big plus I think is the progressive nature of the Rival at the limit, the Stones have a possibly higher limit but they break away quite suddenly. The Rivals instill more confidence at the limit.

Saj5DJ
06-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Rivals need heat too, stones a lot less so.

But I love the way the Rivals drive and plan to whore out codrives to compensate. Looking forward to driving the new 1.5s, which apparently dial out some of the vagueness.

TOYSRUS
06-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Just came back from Peru and the BFG's dominated many of the street classes including CS. NEXEN even impressed with their limited numbers winning FS and placing 3rd in GS.

Lynam55
06-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Just came back from Peru and the BFG's dominated many of the street classes including CS. NEXEN even impressed with their limited numbers winning FS and placing 3rd in GS.

Any fast street cars on rs4 at all?

TOYSRUS
06-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Nobody on Hankooks.....just came back from the Pro Solo in Toledo and its hard to say if the mass Bridgestone exodus is due to the lack of availability or actual performance however there is a lot more BFG's in the paddock in addition to the NEXEN. The NEXEN switch may also be due to the very generous contingency offered and not a measured performance advantage over the Hankooks.

Tashko
06-15-2017, 12:39 AM
Glad I started the conversation. Thanks for all the info...I'm leaning towards the Nexen...cost and contingency are good. I feel an SCCA road trip in my future and might as well have appropriate rubber (even for DFL).:eek: