PDA

View Full Version : Varac

Tanner
06-19-2017, 01:03 AM
Wow, the last time I went to VARAC was back in 2007, has it been that long?

Anyways, great three days at the track, just the odd storm that rolled through, which seems to be an occurrence now at every major event there and track days I'm at! (Hopefully this upcoming OTA weekend is nice and sunny.) Usual thumbs up for all the corner workers, safety/rescue crew, and the rest of the volunteers that makes these weekends a reality.

Anybody know the status of the two drivers that were involved in the accident Sunday during the Formula Junior World Tour? #111 and #8 made contact just before eight, #8 had pretty significant damage to the front while #111 lost ithe left rear but the body seemed okay from afar. One I think was taken away by the ambulance, hopefully nothing serious and only precautionary.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tanm/albums/72157685229658165

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4214/35008976250_eda9d7449d_b.jpg

maxco41
06-19-2017, 01:34 PM
I hope the driver of #8 was ok. I was watching from just before the bridge and saw the whole thing happen. Was one of the scariest wrecks I've ever seen. I saw him sort of wave while on the stretcher so that's a positive sign...
I'd also like to point out the great act of sportsmanship by the driver who stopped next to the wrecked car to help try to flip the car back over and attend to the driver. You don't see things like that every day.

Ken Robins
06-19-2017, 05:50 PM
www.formulajunior.com/bills-third-installment-na-mosport

I think this information is correct. Hand injury and neck MRI

A nasty tumble. Could have been worse.

KR

Tanner
06-19-2017, 06:16 PM
Wow, thanks for the update. Could have been much worse for sure.... missing the bridge!!!

Brian D
06-21-2017, 08:49 PM
I'd also like to point out the great act of sportsmanship by the driver who stopped next to the wrecked car to help try to flip the car back over and attend to the driver. You don't see things like that every day.

I would like to point out the stupidity of the move the driver made by turning the car back onto what was left of the wheels. I was the second marshal to approach the car and was trying to get the other other driver to leave the car as it was. He probably could not hear me but as he turned the car over by himself the car slammed down onto the track causing Ed's head to be rocked violently from side to side risking further injury. The emergency team was about 15 seconds away. It was obvious from my position that the driver was communicating with the driver that stopped and a few more seconds on his side would not have been as risky as turning the car over alone. Unless there is fire it is usually best to talk to and comfort the driver until the rescue team arrives on scene. They are trained professionals and they specifically train to remove drivers from the cars when incidents like this happen. That is how we are trained for incidents like this. In this case we are lucky that Ed's injuries appear to be minor and I wish him a speedy recovery.

HowardCohen
06-23-2017, 10:12 AM
Unless you have special rescue training and equipment, you may be more of a hazard than a help. I have taken rescue training with TRS and BARC for a few years and I have an idea of what to do. But if you don't have any training, leave it to those who do, like the marshals, paramedics, rescue, etc. Not only can you do more harm, you also become legally responsible if something goes wrong :(