PDA

View Full Version : WOSCA provincial July 16, 2017- new start sequence

darcyw
06-27-2017, 10:50 PM
Hi competitors.

WOSCA will be using a grid start sequence for the provincial. This was introduced to us by one of our members, who came from Calgary where the system has been successful.

darcy

darcyw
06-27-2017, 11:08 PM
Hi competitors.

You may ask "What is this strange new grid thing you speak of?"

Competitors within a run group assemble in a "V" shaped Le Mans start grid with a central lane- each competitor has a temporary pit location that No need to line up numerically, just get into the angled grid area- but after your run, return to the same temporary pit lane. Bring along your air pump or whatever to the temporary location. You'll have a regular pit location anywhere else on the lot for your trailer etc.

We'll have 3 run groups most likely.
Group 1 - Run/Marshall/Rest
Group 2- Rest/Run/Marshall
Group 3- Marshall/Rest/Run

Questions?:)

darcy

sjd
06-27-2017, 11:36 PM
Sounds interesting. I have a few questions, will there be a grid marshall or courseworker calling us in order to ensure that we go to start in order for our runs? Will there be a marshall or courseworker ensuring everyone does one run before starting a second? Specifically I'd like to know more about how this works in conjunction with the run groups. I got burned by at Nationals last year when a competitor's co-driver ran both of her runs back to back to get heat in the tires before he even ran his first. How many competitors are you expecting? Enough for 3 decently sized run groups? Thanks!

Daniel
06-28-2017, 12:49 AM
Why a "V" specifically, just out of interest?

The run group/grid system is used for all National events, but it doesn't necessarily need to be a V. A line or rows work just as well.

Agree with Steve though, there needs to be a "grid master" keeping track and there needs to be enough cars to make run groups work properly. Helps to separate co-driven cars too.

Cool, I like it! I've been pushing for this for a while.

sjd
06-28-2017, 02:11 PM
This was introduced to us by one of our members, who came from Calgary where the system has been successful.

One more question to add to mine above. What has this system been successful at? I'm not being facetious, I really do want to know what problem this solves or how it helps. :)

Daniel
06-28-2017, 02:28 PM
One more question to add to mine above. What has this system been successful at? I'm not being facetious, I really do want to know what problem this solves or how it helps. :)

For me...

-Tire temp management
-Course/run recall
-Marshaling - gets it done without all the back and forth.
-No waiting in line
-Planned breaks make eating/socializing/working on the car easier
-Classes grouped together for better chance of similar weather conditions. Though no way make it 100% equal. Indoors maybe?!? :)

But again, its biggest benefit (and when it works best) is for management of a large number of cars.

Curt B
06-28-2017, 04:58 PM
For me...

-Tire temp management
-Course/run recall
-Marshaling - gets it done without all the back and forth.
-No waiting in line
-Planned breaks make eating/socializing/working on the car easier
-Classes grouped together for better chance of similar weather conditions. Though no way make it 100% equal. Indoors maybe?!? :)

But again, its biggest benefit (and when it works best) is for management of a large number of cars.

^Exactly.
We have used it successfully for our last 2 WOSCA events.
-Eliminates the need to run in numerical order
-Eliminates the snake of cars lined up through the parking lot
-Means you don't need to stage until one car before your run
-Yes there is a Grid Marshall calling cares up to stage from the grid boxes
- The "V" description might have been misleading.... We just have a central lane with a row of angled grid boxes down both sides so the Grid Marshall just walks up the line and signals the cars out in order. Allows us to manage co-driven cars well too. Those cars grid at the front of the line so Driver 1 runs first and returns to the same grid box, after that row is complete, Driver 2 is sent, and then the other row of the grid box runs.

Grid Diagram:

\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -> To Start Line Staging
/ / / / / / / / / /

sjd
06-28-2017, 06:21 PM
I look forward to seeing it in action.

When will the MSReg link be up?

darcyw
06-28-2017, 10:51 PM
yes. grid marshall will keep you all under control. Curt's diagram is better than my description. At first I thought, "what is this?" but i tried it and liked it- "see, mikey likes it!"

darcy

Saj5DJ
06-28-2017, 11:01 PM
Great system: They do this at Lincoln and it works awesome.

Does need a grid marshal work assignment to work best, but should be good.

27/WOSCA
06-29-2017, 07:34 AM
Just some additional information, we have arranged with our venue to have their concession stand open from 11am to 2pm, it is located at their driving range facility which is adjacent to our area.

As for MS Reg, I responded to an email on April 23rd with our event details indicating that it would be taken care of. If that is not the case, please let us know asap.

Kevin

Maikeru
07-02-2017, 11:42 AM
As for MS Reg, I responded to an email on April 23rd with our event details indicating that it would be taken care of. If that is not the case, please let us know asap.

Kevin

I don't see this event on MS Reg yet.

Thanks!
Mike

darcyw
07-09-2017, 12:13 AM
Registration link is now in effect!

www.motorsportreg.com/events/wosca-event-3-with-casc-regional-4-hiawatha-horse-park-western-ontario-819406

see you in a few.

darcy

sjd
07-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Registration link is now in effect!

www.motorsportreg.com/events/wosca-event-3-with-casc-regional-4-hiawatha-horse-park-western-ontario-819406

see you in a few.

darcy

So I notice that regional series registered number is already reserved and I had to select something else. Will this be handled at the event?

Thanks!

27/WOSCA
07-09-2017, 07:13 PM
SJD,

We set up the MS registration and do not have access to the regional numbers, so they do not apply. At this point, that will have to figured out after the fact.

Any other questions let us know,

Kevin

Daniel
07-09-2017, 09:52 PM
SJD,

We set up the MS registration and do not have access to the regional numbers, so they do not apply. At this point, that will have to figured out after the fact.

Any other questions let us know,

Kevin

Not pointing fingers at either side... but why hasn't this been coordinated up front? Seems both simple and important enough.

27/WOSCA
07-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Daniel,
I'd be happy to discuss if you are coming on the 16th.
Kevin

sjd
07-09-2017, 10:41 PM
Daniel,
I'd be happy to discuss if you are coming on the 16th.
Kevin

Pretty sure he is otherwise he wouldn't have asked. As more Regional competitors sign up they're going to run out of numbers.

27/WOSCA
07-09-2017, 10:53 PM
10-4 SJD, I totally agree, we need to get a conversation going on this. If you or Daniel would like to discuss ahead of the 16th, please email me directly at woscasolodirector@yahoo.ca

Thanks gentlemen, hope to hear from you soon.

27/WOSCA
07-10-2017, 07:48 AM
Morning All,
I have been advised that we may have found a regional car number database on the MS Reg site. Anyone who has already signed up and unable to use their regional number, please advise through this thread. Provide your name (first name last name initial) and regional car number and we will try to fix it.

Thanks

sjd
07-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Great news and no need for an email now. :)

Steven D. My regional car number is 64 and I signed up using 164.

Thanks!

27/WOSCA
07-10-2017, 12:51 PM
10-4 Steve, I'll pass that along! My understanding is that anyone newly registering should be able to do so using their provincial numbers.

Snizzoop
07-10-2017, 12:53 PM
10-4 Steve, I'll pass that along! My understanding is that anyone newly registering should be able to do so using their provincial numbers.

I just tried it...it works.

Maikeru
07-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Hi,

I'm Michael B and I signed up with number 91. My regional number is 90.

Thanks!
MikeB

sjd
07-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Thanks to the organizers at WOSCA for the fun event!

Although the course was tight in spots with more than a little gravel and sand, the surface did get faster and the fun spots of the course became apparent.

The grid system also worked really well and any club that uses run groups should look into using it if you have the space.

Worth the drive. If only I hadn't coned away my fastest run. :(

Thanks again!

notthesnail
07-17-2017, 03:55 PM
If only I hadn't coned away my fastest run. :(

You're not the only one with that regret.

Hell, you're not even the only one who drove your car that can say that. :D

27/WOSCA
07-17-2017, 06:32 PM
Glad everyone had fun, thanks to those who made the trek to Sarnia. I have to give credit where credit is due:

Darcy for organizing the event

Adam for setting up the event through MR Reg and timing on site

Bruce E for running on site registration/competitor check-in

Doug for logistics and support

Travis for remotely logging in to the timing system and helping us out from a distance

....and last but certainly not least, your own CASC Autoslalom Director Bruce G for representing the province. My understanding is that it has been a busy season so far, Bruce is working hard to make things run smoothly.

There are many others I'm sure I have missed, you know who you are.