PDA

View Full Version : Chump's in CASC

BusaPower
08-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Hello, So I've seen that a few of my fellow chumper's have been running CASC event's. I'm interested in the Sept 30 3 hr event. I'm wondering what's involved with running that weekend? I just can't justify getting a license for one. I can provide a history of racing experience in chump and karting.

Shark
08-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Is this Eric ???
If so, I sent an email.
If not, send me an email.

raceinstructor@casc.on.ca

Kcodekid
08-16-2017, 04:42 PM
So here we go again with the I don't need a licence crap .So as the powers that be keep letting this happen I guess the rest of us that pay our money for schooling and keep renewing or licence should just complain and we will be given what we want and save our money.
I know for a fact that I am not the only driver that will not go on track with unlicenced drivers .And as I am in the process of trying to decide where to spend my racing money things like this make it easier to go to the US where they don't accept this crap

Hello, So I've seen that a few of my fellowchumper's have been running CASC event's. I'm interested in the Sept 30 3 hr event. I'm wondering what's involved with running that weekend? I just can't justify getting a license for one. I can provide a history of racing experience in chump and karting.

Shark
08-16-2017, 05:12 PM
Most of us are welcoming of new drivers and CASC is willing to look at a drivers experience level and allow an introduction into our racing.
After that, a license is required, like everywhere else.
All new drivers are welcome. :D

Kcodekid
08-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Most of us are welcoming of new drivers and CASC is willing to look at a drivers experience level and allow an introduction into our racing.
After that, a license is required, like everywhere else.
All new drivers are welcome. :D

Ok Ray so you are more concerned with getting new Crapcar guys money but don't care if myself and others that have been here for years take ours and leave .So how it looks and sounds to me is that you welcome new drivers and who cares about the people that have supported CASC for years

Dr.Smooth
08-16-2017, 07:32 PM
To be honest I have been to every Chumpcar race at CTMP since they started holding events there, except for this year's event.

In my opinion they race cleaner than CASC. Funny enough, I see many of the same faces in the paddock at events under both banners.
I also see may people I haven't seen at a CASC event in years.

Edit... Forgot to add this. There are very few cars in Chumpcar that I would consider to be crap. Those days are mostly gone.

Most are well turned out race cars that would have been right at home on a CASC grid In the early to mid 2000's. Except for the window thing I really don't like their window rules but that is just estetics.

Steven Scala
08-17-2017, 02:16 AM
Having driven on both grids I'd have to say there's no comparison when it comes to quality of competition. If by 'cleaner' you mean 'not really very close' I guess I'd have to agree that chump is clean, but the lack of training in racecraft generally shows up in chump races as 'roll over + play dead' defense. At the same time there's also a couple of real weapons on the chump grid that wouldn't last two weekends under any FIA-affiliated sanction anywhere.

Chump races are great for accruing seat time and learning to expect the unexpected, particularly when it comes to spotting oil spills. At this stage I myself would rather pay a bit more entry fee for a good fight with some fast drivers and/or faster and more expensive cars than the one I'm in; and I'd 100% rather not give up any of my stamina and/or precision to a car that has exhaust fumes billowing in through a big hole where the windows used to be.

Quite frankly I think the top chumpers deserve the opportunity to see how it's done in regional competition; I think the region's done a fine job of keeping the bad eggs out; and I think a couple of our regional guys oughta be a bit less insecure about facing occasional challenges from someone wheeling a two thousand dollar car. There's a bunchload of drivers on the chump grid who would show quite well at the regional championship level, and I'm not just talking about the seasoned pros faced with a paucity of local endurance options.

Doug P
08-17-2017, 08:55 AM
The only issue here for me is the cost of the medical and fees for the licence.

Whether an individual takes a school or is observed from previous experience anywhere is the same thing. They can drive and pass a test or not.

My Doctor charges me $120 for my medical. He required an independent eye test that costs me another $120. Then I pay the CASC $250 fee.

$490 all in. Not cheap. Last year some new drivers came in to race with us and did not have to pay anything. That was supposed to be a one time thing and should no longer be the case.

If an observation of previous experience is completed and the driver is approved to race, a licence should still have to be purchased like the rest of us.

ScotcH
08-17-2017, 12:09 PM
My Doctor charges me $120 for my medical. He required an independent eye test that costs me another $120. Then I pay the CASC $250 fee.

Go to a clinic. $90 all in.

Chris Lawson
08-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Go to a clinic. $90 all in.

Wow, good idea. My doctor hits me up for a couple of hundred bucks.....and after reading the form sent me for a EKG, at my expense.

Obviously you had success at a clinic, but I would have thought some may not do it. Any other experiences out there with a walk-in clinic?

Dave Barker
08-17-2017, 04:24 PM
Sorry guys but I've got to say it. As a physician my observation is that at a Walmart walk-in you get exactly what you would expect at Walmart. Cheap and questionable but sometimes acceptable quality. A true physical that is worth something is not going to be too thorough at a Walmart. OTOH, if you have a sig medical issue, you can easily pull the wool over any walk-in doctor's eyes so ....... maybe that suits you (but not likely your competitors).

The real issue is the cost of a licence for 1 event. Time-Attack has always had a discount licence for the first weekend to allow someone to try the series out. Ice Racing desperately needs the same deal. For the Chumpers, as long as they have been observed, I would suggest a sig discount in the licence fee for 1 day or possibly weekend, and not skimping on the medical issues.

BTW,(shameless plug) for all you Chumpers who would like some track and test time, OTA is at Shannonville Aug 26-27 on both the Pro track and Full track. No need to have your car classified as you can run in the RTC (Raw Time Challenge) classes. No you won't be wheel to wheel but you will have quality track time and no worries re physicals or licences (we cover it).

DavidSim
08-17-2017, 05:27 PM
My Doctor (of almost 50 years) combines mine each year with my yearly checkup, I get charged a bit extra but it is really cheap out of pocket.

I told him that if he is still my Doctor and I reach my 50th Anniversary with him then I want something special, we shall see. 50 years is a lot of Beemer payments, should be worth something special I would think.

racerguy19
08-17-2017, 05:39 PM
Wow! My regular doc charges me $30!

wings2k
08-17-2017, 10:56 PM
Mine doesn't charge. It takes 30 seconds to sign the form...

shamrock
08-18-2017, 09:04 AM
I haven't been charged yet by my doctor either. I have a yearly physical and time it for a licence renewal. She knows me very well so its basically a signature thing.

23Racer
08-18-2017, 02:23 PM
My Family Doctor will not fill out the CASC Physical form as it asks her to sign off that I am healthy enough to race in a high stress, high temp environment, etc... She doesn't want the legal risk. For my last 3 license renewals, I have had to use walk in clinics that specialize in truck driver physicals. Its a pain.

I personally, have no issues with Chumpcar drivers racing in CASC events, as long as they have been observed and approved. I have a couple of Time Attack Drivers who also race Chumpcar, talk to me about attending CASC events later this year and in the future. I think its a great start and the more the merrier. There has always been crossover drivers from one sanctioning body, like NASCAR, FIA, EMRA, NASA, SCCA, POC, BMWCC, etc... All have different ways of licensing drivers and if the powers that be feel that after observation, they are good to go, bring em on. I personally have raced in NASA, ICSCC, SCCA, EMRA and CACC events and done this with no issues.

Eric

DavidSim
08-18-2017, 02:35 PM
Well said Eric.

Shark
08-18-2017, 04:40 PM
Just to be clear guys...

It's only if they are qualified and know the rules.
After the " one off" invitation to race,
they would be required to get a medical and a license like the rest of us.
Again... what I tell people is... once you have a license you can do anything you want.
That gives you a choice of what and where you want to race.
Without a license you are only able to do Chumpcar... not that there's anything wrong with that...

BusaPower
08-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Sorry to open a can of worm's here guys. I have contacted Ray to discuss running the celebration event. I would like to consider myself a clean and competent driver and have people that are willing to vouch for me. I'd be willing to get a license and have no problem going through the process just looking for information regarding this and trying to do it as economically as possible.

I do have a few questions though. What are the entry fees and where do you find entry forms? I've looked everywhere and can't find them.

Shark
08-18-2017, 07:31 PM
I will email you over the weekend with all the info you will need.

Thanks

TJMotorsport
08-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Hey BusaPower, welcome and if you need any assistance with coming racing in CASC contact me directly! Sorry you have to put up with some of the more close-minded members of our region, I assure you it's a much friendlier place to race. Us "rich-kids" (as we are sometimes snubbed) are actually quite friendly and you're welcome to come by and chat or have a beer at the end of the day.

DavidSim
08-21-2017, 02:12 PM
Welcome aboard BusaPower, you will find a great bunch of people at the track, enjoy !

BusaPower
08-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Thank's guys I have met very racers whom I didn't like. Now just need to get the car together...