PDA

View Full Version : Ted Powell 2017

fastnx
08-28-2017, 03:50 PM
Great weekend! Well organized and well executed, great weather too. The competition was fantastic, very clean driving and good car prep. I saw little to no mechanical failures or wrecks on track.

One potential area for improvement: Shortening the Sunday schedule. I'm not sure how many competitors are from the GTA and West but that is definitely a deterrent from attending the race. We left within 30 minutes of the checkered flag in our class and arrived home around 11pm. When we left the track we were thinking "I can't wait until next year" but by the time we got home we were thinking "was this really worthwhile?"

My brother (who also raced this weekend) and I brought our children to the race and the late arrival home was a challenge not just last night but today and possibly through the week. My wife is a real trooper and the true un-sung hero of the racing effort but I feel like the great time we had this weekend was at her expense. Leaving the family at home isn't a great alternative since that leaves her alone with the little one for 3 days and 2 nights which is tough on her as well. If we could arrive home 2 hours earlier Sunday night that would make a huge difference for us.

It's possible that we are somewhat unique in this situation, not sure where other racers are with their parenting years. In years past I could get home any time Sunday night and it really didn't matter but now it does. It is possible I will have to miss Ted Powell in the future but I would like that not to be the case.

Does this make sense? Would an early finish to Sunday may help attract more competitors? What do others think?

By the way I fully understand and appreciate that Ottawa area competitors have to do this every time they come to Mosport which is the majority of the races in the season....

shamrock
08-28-2017, 05:18 PM
First off. let me say the New OSSC and CMP put on a terrific event. Over 120 was a good show. Also, they bribed the gods for the weather. Good for them.

The problem is as always the schedule. Saturday with all the practice and qualifying and races, is a tight schedule. Too tight. It's a death knell for criticism to put the challenge race on so it has to be on Sunday no matter what some think. As an organizer, its just prudent to balance out the days. Still, there have been occasions where we finished on Sunday early. It can't happen every time though, depends on whats holding up the running. I think there are some solutions to that but they need to be discussed with the powers that be.

Glad you had a good time. Fun wasn't it:)

oblio125
08-28-2017, 07:48 PM
By the way I fully understand and appreciate that Ottawa area competitors have to do this every time they come to Mosport which is the majority of the races in the season....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for not overlooking this.
(Past Mosport competitor, current Mosport spectator.)

terrydale
08-28-2017, 10:09 PM
Great weekend! Well organized and well executed, great weather too. The competition was fantastic, very clean driving and good car prep. I saw little to no mechanical failures or wrecks on track.
One potential area for improvement: Shortening the Sunday schedule. I'm not sure how many competitors are from the GTA and West but that is definitely a deterrent from attending the race. We left within 30 minutes of the checkered flag in our class and arrived home around 11pm. When we left the track we were thinking "I can't wait until next year" but by the time we got home we were thinking "was this really worthwhile?"
My brother (who also raced this weekend) and I brought our children to the race and the late arrival home was a challenge not just last night but today and possibly through the week. My wife is a real trooper and the true un-sung hero of the racing effort but I feel like the great time we had this weekend was at her expense. Leaving the family at home isn't a great alternative since that leaves her alone with the little one for 3 days and 2 nights which is tough on her as well. If we could arrive home 2 hours earlier Sunday night that would make a huge difference for us.
It's possible that we are somewhat unique in this situation, not sure where other racers are with their parenting years. In years past I could get home any time Sunday night and it really didn't matter but now it does. It is possible I will have to miss Ted Powell in the future but I would like that not to be the case.
Does this make sense? Would an early finish to Sunday may help attract more competitors? What do others think?
By the way I fully understand and appreciate that Ottawa area competitors have to do this every time they come to Mosport which is the majority of the races in the season....

Glad to hear that you had a good time at the Ted Powell Race at Calabogie Motorsport Park!!

The challenge is in accommodating every CASC-OR Championship Race Group. The goal is to offer the same amount of track time for everybody. And why not - everyone pays the same entry fee.

Or - we drop one or two Championship Race Groups and immediately find 120-240 minutes in the schedule. That is like 2-4 hours so for sure, we can schedule an earlier end to the day.

So, as an organizer looks at building his event and the costs for doing so, the only revenue is in entry fees. If one race group is dropped, that translates right away to lost revenue. The recovery plan for that is - increased entries in the remaining race groups. So, taking this past weekend, the lowest car count was in VARAC Classic with 9 cars times $500 for $4500 to the Organizer. Yup, for sure more time on the schedule but balanced by a loss of a much needed $4500 in revenue.

I am not offering a final drop dead answer here. Calabogie Motorsport Park's management is solidly supportive of regional racing, thank goodness! We have a full year to work this out because you, the racers, are our customers!

CMP is going to have the Ted Powell Race next year. What is it going to look like and which race groups will be on the schedule? Help us by giving feedback. Grids that have 17 -30 cars entered make the answer very easy. Grids that have 9 cars might want to push harder to get their fellow racers out to make sure that they are going to be included in the schedule. That is not intended to be an ultimatum - just stating the facts and the reality.

Again - thank you all for your support of the Ted Powell Race this weekend! We worked very hard to have you leaving on Sunday night already making plans to come back again in 2018. It isn't easy but this is what we do and we do it all for you!! :)

Terry Dale
Race Director
Calabogie Motorsport Park

President - Ottawa SportsCar Club (OSCC)