PDA

View Full Version : importing- here we go again

shamrock
11-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Ok, I'm no stranger to it, I've done it before but this one does not have a title and never did. It has a chassis number only from the manufacturer. All my info says that if it don't have one, it aint getting in. Is this still true? Can I import it as parts? Can the owner get one in the state of Florida? Threads seem to disappear or get archived pretty hastily here. Any help appreciated:confused:

wings2k
11-07-2017, 02:42 PM
My Radical didn't have a title.

Not sure if it's really any different, I didn't stop at the US border, I only stopped at Canada, they collected their tax and they were happy (no RIV form) although they filled one out ... :rolleyes:

You need bill of sale
Proof it's a race car (log book) or a letter from CASC stating this will only ever be a race car.

I got my letter from CASC and when the customs guys looked at the rules he even said to me, oh if you don't have a title you need a letter from a racing association... oh look you have one. Rubber stamp.

ScotcH
11-07-2017, 04:36 PM
My Radical didn't have a title.

Not sure if it's really any different, I didn't stop at the US border, I only stopped at Canada, they collected their tax and they were happy (no RIV form) although they filled one out ... :rolleyes:

You need bill of sale
Proof it's a race car (log book) or a letter from CASC stating this will only ever be a race car.

I got my letter from CASC and when the customs guys looked at the rules he even said to me, oh if you don't have a title you need a letter from a racing association... oh look you have one. Rubber stamp.

Yup, all this was our experience as well with the WC cougar.

JamesLindsay
11-07-2017, 05:26 PM
"arnt you just picking it up from your mechanic?";)

shamrock
11-07-2017, 08:22 PM
ok great. I did have a letter from CASC last time but also had the title. Guess I'm ok with the sale bill and the letter. Thank you. Do I need to fax them there 72 hours before or just show up?

shamrock
11-07-2017, 08:24 PM
guess not if I'm not stopping at the US side.

DavidSim
11-08-2017, 12:40 AM
Try crossing at a border location in Quebec if you can, they don't collect PST for Ontario if it is applicable (and yes it is applicable for any car that is not going to be licensed in Ontario).

shamrock
11-08-2017, 10:20 AM
last time I only paid the one tax here in Ontario also, GST.

wings2k
11-08-2017, 11:30 AM
You will only pay GST.

You only pay PST if you register it :D

DavidSim
11-08-2017, 12:33 PM
>>last time I only paid the one tax here in Ontario also, GST.<<

If the vehicle is going to be licensed then yes you only pay GST because the Ontario Government expects to get the PST portion when you register/license the vehicle for the road.

>>You will only pay GST.<<

If the vehicle will be registered/licensed for the road eventually then yes you only pay GST at the border. However, if it is a race car or other type of off road vehicle that will never be licensed then the border people are supposed to collect both GST and PST when you bring the vehicle across.

Of course sometimes the border people give you a break on the PST, sometimes they may be new employees and don't fully understand how the PST collection works, but the rule is both GST and PST are to be paid if the vehicle will never be registered/licensed.

>>You only pay PST if you register it<<

That is correct because you should have been charged GST at the border already when you brought it back.

One loophole is that if you are from Ontario but bring a vehicle back to Canada across a Quebec border then you don't have to pay the PST under any circumstance at the border, Quebec border people don't collect taxes on behalf of Ontario so you get off Scott free.

The Quebec information above was as of 3 years ago, I do not believe it has changed at this point but beware.

wings2k
11-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Well 2 of us didn't pay PST at the border, I guess it's possible we both got lucky, I peeled out of there.

You are correct though if you cross in QC they won't collect it.

If you are a QC resident and cross in Ontario you don't have to pay PST on anything you bring across. This is a huge 8% winfall on all purchases that go through the border here near Ottawa for those that reside in QC.

fastnx
11-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Not sure if it's really any different, I didn't stop at the US border, I only stopped at Canada, they collected their tax and they were happy (no RIV form) although they filled one out ...

You need bill of sale

How long ago was this?

I imported a race car and went through the RIV process about 12 years ago and it was. I had the ownership although never registered the car but did have a letter from CASC. I wish I had known skipping RIV is an option...

wings2k
11-08-2017, 02:01 PM
You only need the RIV if you are going to ever run it on the road.

I did this like 3 years ago.

Arek did the cougar quite awhile ago....

Did you submit the RIV papers?

Like I said I didn't even stop in the US, you need to stop there to get the RIV form stamped but if you don't need the form you don't need to stop.

CBSA asked if I stopped I said no, he said oh well I can't force you to.

shamrock
11-08-2017, 02:32 PM
I did it in 2011. No pst and I even stopped at the us side first. I think the key is to make them understand its a race car and never will be on the street. The CASC letter goes a long way now. I will probably go through Quebec next time though. Even less hassle.

shamrock
11-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Even up to as soon as 2010 a friend who brought many race cars in had told me you need the title. Obviously thats changed also. It's all good though and good for us.

CDNMadeHondaGuy
11-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Remember, there is NO GST/PST here in Ontario. It is now HST. You never paid PST on a private resale car in the province (bought within the country and licensed in the province), only if bought from a dealer. Well now you pay BOTH, as there is only one. 13% no matter what in this province.............no matter where you buy it, out of province, country. But for out of province, only if you want to get it on the road, for out of country, well you pay taxes and duty on everything.......

DavidSim
11-13-2017, 11:14 PM
>>No pst and I even stopped at the us side first. I think the key is to make them understand its a race car and never will be on the street.<<

You got lucky if you live in Ontario and crossed over at the Ontario border.

terrydale
11-17-2017, 05:45 PM
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/10/30/importing-from-usa-to-canada?utm_source=MagnetMail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=tsdale2@gmail.com&utm_content=17%2DCanada%20Supplement%2DFall&utm_campaign=All%20about%20Canadian%20classics%21

Doug P
11-17-2017, 07:05 PM
Something different the other way.

http://speed51.com/canadian-race-team-stuck-at-us-border-en-route-to-race/