CASC Ontario Region Message Forums

CASC Ontario Region Message Forums (http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/index.php)
-   Time Attack Specific Forum (http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Lexan Windows (http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=34921)

Grant Galloway 12-29-2017 06:18 PM

Lexan Windows

Looking for some input! I am gutting my doors and windows in my Civic..

The factory side glass is about 3.5mm thick, anyone know if there is any required thickness or recommendations for how thick it should be?

Not doing the windshield

Grant

Gary 12-29-2017 09:07 PM

Re: Lexan Windows

I use 1/8 inch. Works fine. Just trace your glass window on tbe lexan without removing the protective cover, cut with a jigsaw, and you are done. Forget rolling anything up and down. Doesn't work with a flat panel. I use two long machine screws to hold the lexan window up where it belongs.

Grant Galloway 12-30-2017 05:25 PM

Thanks Gary..

So no rule on mandatory thickness?

I plan to completely remove the glass in the front doors in favour of window nets.

Lots of work being done on the Civic this winter

Grant

Gary 12-30-2017 07:19 PM

Grant, the replacement of glass windows is permitted in the rules, section 1.4.5. There are no minimum thickness rules for the windows in the doors or the rear window. Most people use 1/8 inch (3 mm.) for this. However, if you change the windshield as per rules 1.4.6 & 7, there are several specific requirements for that, including a minimum thickness of 6mm.

I once replaced the windshield in an ice race car with Lexan. This did not work well, as I did not pay the really big bucks for the kind that won`t scratch. The result, once the wipers had been used, was a mass of tiny scratches. Horrible to drive into the sun. I won`t do that again. Treat your Lexan windows with care.

Finally, no doubt you are aware of the PIP`s for window modification as set out in C.13, but I thought I`d mention it. Although, now I think of it, you have a cage and probably will be using race weight. Regardless, best to read the rules yourself, as always.

DavidSim 12-30-2017 07:23 PM

>>This did not work well, as I did not pay the really big bucks for the kind that won`t scratch.<<

I agree, do yourself a favour and buy the good stuff for any window you will be looking through (e.g. windshield, back window).

Ask me how I know !!!

Saj5DJ 12-30-2017 08:26 PM

What is the good stuff exactly? And where do you guys source it?

Grant Galloway 12-30-2017 09:50 PM

Thanks guys..

Barry, spoke to Fulton Glass in Kitchener the 3mm 4'x8' sheet is $160
James Houghton sources it from them!

There is a special cleaner that will keep things looking good..

The Windshield I will be leaving stock

Grant

1qwkmini 12-31-2017 06:51 AM

Grant

Give Parker Plastics (Clarke Side Rd) a call they stock Lexan...not sure on price.
(519) 457-2535

Doug P 12-31-2017 09:30 AM

be advised if you ever plan to run your car in race and use lexan in the front there is a 1/4 inch thickness requirement.

Grant Galloway 12-31-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 263333)
be advised if you ever plan to run your car in race and use lexan in the front there is a 1/4 inch thickness requirement.

Stupid rule when the factor glass is 3.6mm 1/4 inch is over 6mm not even sure that it would fit??

Regardless I will not be doing any wheel to wheel with this car!

Grant

Grant Galloway 12-31-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1qwkmini (Post 263332)
Grant

Give Parker Plastics (Clarke Side Rd) a call they stock Lexan...not sure on price.
(519) 457-2535

Thanks bud, I sourced locally even if they are cheaper truck will burn $30 in gas to go to London..

Grant

Saj5DJ 01-01-2018 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Galloway (Post 263335)
Stupid rule when the factor glass is 3.6mm 1/4 inch is over 6mm not even sure that it would fit??

Regardless I will not be doing any wheel to wheel with this car!

Grant

Not too stupid really, even Chumpcar requires 3/16". Windscreen is a big part of what keeps the driver safe from debris in event of incidents occurring in front of you; Lexan isn't as tough as auto glass given equal thickness. Plus Doug is really just trying to help.

Grant Galloway 01-01-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saj5DJ (Post 263341)
Not too stupid really, even Chumpcar requires 3/16". Windscreen is a big part of what keeps the driver safe from debris in event of incidents occurring in front of you; Lexan isn't as tough as auto glass given equal thickness. Plus Doug is really just trying to help.

Barry, it was nothing against Doug! My point is the factory glass is the same thickness and Lexan will not shatter like OEM Tempered Glass

I would never Change the Windshield out for two reasons! Lexan scratches easily and I know the OEM Windshield is part of the structural integrity... Even though my car has a very well built cage with 90ft of tubing in it

Grant

wparsons 01-02-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Galloway (Post 263345)
My point is the factory glass is the same thickness and Lexan will not shatter like OEM Tempered Glass

Factory windshields are laminated and don't shatter like side/rear windows.

Grant Galloway 01-02-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 263355)
Factory windshields are laminated and don't shatter like side/rear windows.

Yes I am fully aware of the windshield being Laminated, was talking about all the other glass.