View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 10:12 PM

Post A possible way out of Axware? First thoughts on MJtiming

Thanks to a tip from Dina:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukablue View Post
Posting for Murray, he's waiting for someone to approve his request to join the forum:

My software is working, fully supported, and currently in use by at least a dozen clubs. Pleasse sign up to the SASC forum (http://forums.sascsolo.com/index.php?topic=57.0) if you want to discuss the software and/or hardware.

Or look me up on Facebook (Murray Peterson).

I tried MJtiming with our timing gear and my laptop and here are my first (second) thoughts. It seems to work, but needs (supplementary work) before we would be able to use it to run our series.

- We'll need the 4 clubs that host the regionals to adopt its MSR report format to export registrations - add an MJtiming style report. On the plus side, we would seem to have an easier time adding drivers on the spot. The exact format we'll need from Murray should we decide to go this route.
- It doesn't work out of the box with our display. The digits are shown backwards. (It needs a setting to reverse the digits to match.)
- It works out of the box with our beams, but only knows unit "A" as start beam and unit "B" as end beam. If someone runs over or otherwise knock "B" out of commission during an event, we won't be able to put our unit "C" in its place and carry on. Do we have those reconfigure jumper the manual mentioned?
- It can't interface directly with our (Axtime) LiveResults. However I can write a script that watches MJtiming's timing data (it's CSV) and run a script that converts it to Axware format on the fly for LiveResults to consume. (It has its own live results, but I think we should stick with Axtime because it's still serving us well.)
- Its public-facing output are text files. More conversion scripts would be needed to generate results in our typical format.
- (I would need to build a brand new class data file for our superclass structure.)
- Its points system is the typical points-by-ranking. Ours is proportional by PAX time, with 100pts for winner. We can address this when we run scripts to produce results from MJtiming raw data.
- It allows us to void the most recent start and end beam triggers with two keypresses.
- We seem to have more screen real estate with it than Axware. Timing, drivers and logs are on separate tabs.
- It autosaves timing data, so we can restart it (or even reboot the laptop) and pick up where we left off.

TAC's Autoslalom guy

Last edited by buurin; 08-24-2017 at 08:06 PM.