View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 10:53 AM

Re: Toyo Tires Announcement and Sizing Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Attack Director View Post
Ontario Time Attack is pleased to announce that we are opening up options for "Street Tire" equipped cars in 2018 by allowing the Toyo R-888-R to be used as a Zero-PIP option next year. Toyo Canada places it's 2018 R-Compound order the first week of October so this poll will be to help them know what sizes we will need.

If you want to be sure that you'll have the size you need, you can place your order now with Braidan Tire or other club preferred TOYO MOTORSPORTS DEALERS for spring delivery. OTA competitors can get up to 40% off your purchase by registering for Team Toyo at http://www.toyotires.ca/racing-program.

Please select one of the first three options, and your preferred tire size.

Stephen Deneka
It sounds to me like a decision that effects all competitors has already been made and now we're being asked to place an order for our tires.

It's not that I disagree that coming up with a potential solution to create what is believed to provide a leveler playing field, it appears that an unofficial 'spec' tire has been announced or maybe not announced. Which is it?

If we could all run the same spec tire it simplifies one more preparation decision, assuming sufficient tire size and inventory to cover all returning competitors.

Hopefully these new OTA rules do not limit where a competitor can purchase their tires. I don't believe we should be allowing any corporate sponsor to dictate which independent retailer we purchase their product from.

Now as for the size requirement survey, it would be good if we could indicate how many tires of a specific size that we intend to use in 2018.

PS: I got a chuckle out of comments referring to how tires weren't restricted in the ''old day". Tire discussions and restrictions have been a hot topic since hill-climbs of the early 60's. Every 5 to 10 years the topic surfaces again.
OTA#47