View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 04:05 PM

Re: Toyo Tires Announcement and Sizing Poll

Hello again,

I've had a chance to think a bit more about the proposed changes to the existing OTA tire rule and wanted to express my view.

First off, my proposed rule change is based upon the assumption that the reasoning behind changing the existing rules are for the sole purpose of attempting to more fairly equalize the performance difference between some of the so called 'cheater Street Tires' and the Non-Premium R-compound tires.

Here is my proposal:

Current OTA Regulation:

.1 Installation of Street legal tires with a tread wear rating (UTQG) of 140 or higher. 0 PIPs

.2 Installation of “non-Premium” R compound tires, defined as DOT legal tires with a UTQG tread wear rating of less than 100 and that have a molded tread pattern with non-circumferential siping. 5PIPs

.3 Installation of “Premium” race compound tires, defined as tires that only have circumferential molded grooves but also includes Continental Canadian Touring Car Championship (CCTC), Hoosier Grand Am Cup, foreign market Yokohama A048R and all full wet weather race tires. 10 PIPs

.4 Installation of Race Slicks 15 PIPs

Proposal - Option 1:

.1 Installation of DOT Street legal tires with a tread wear rating (UTQG) of 100 or higher. 0 PIPs

.2 Installation of “non-Premium” R compound tires, defined as DOT legal competition tires with a UTQG tread wear rating of less than 100 and that have a molded tread pattern with non-circumferential siping. 5PIPs

.3 Installation of “Premium” race compound tires, defined as tires that only have circumferential molded grooves but also includes Continental Canadian Touring Car Championship (CCTC), Hoosier Grand Am Cup, foreign market Yokohama A048R and all full wet weather race tires. 10 PIPs

.4 Installation of Race Slicks 15 PIPs

Proposal - Option 2:

.1 Installation of a DOT Street legal tire, including “non-Premium” R compound tires, defined as DOT legal competition tires that have a molded tread pattern with non-circumferential siping. 0 PIPs

.2 Installation of “Premium” race compound tires, defined as tires that only have circumferential molded grooves but also includes Continental Canadian Touring Car Championship (CCTC), Hoosier Grand Am
Cup, foreign market Yokohama A048R and all full wet weather race tires. 5 PIPs

.3 Installation of Race Slicks 10 PIPs

While both proposals would essentially achieve the equalizing results, Option 1 would only change the classification of competitors running tires with a UTQG tread wear rating of 100 to 139. It would move those competitors down one class.

This change may create a sales opportunity for tire brands that have a UTQG tread wear rating of 100 to 139.

In both options, the rules still allow competitors to chose their own brand of tire.
OTA#47