CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 05-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Re: The competition is now using AMB/MyLaps timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-RT View Post
Sorry, I was not aware of the temp license. I was just going off what I saw new people come "at the gate" last year, and drop the membership, license, and gate fee. Compared to sigma, THIS was a lot more.

If you have the temp license, that is a really good idea and will help bring new people in.

Im not complaining of the overall costs at all. Yes, if you do they whole season then those fees are nothing, I spend more on brake fluid in a year. I was trying to speak for the casual competitor that wants to try an event to see what there times would be like. This guy wants a laptimer in the car. Thats all. FWIW I have my own laptimer and don't personally care if we provide one. I just need my class to be full so I feel like I big man if I win :P
Just thinking out loud here...

What might a lap timer might do for a newbie's state of mind when on the track. Instant feedback of lap times combined with knowledge of their buddy's lap time MAY summon their inner competitor in the heat of the moment and become an incentive to drive beyond their capabilities.

Having "free" access to a lap timer may appeal to the participants in non-CASC events, but it might lead to a costly mistake for those with little experience. In contrast qualified OTA instructors using safe learning methods provide a tremendous amount of value to competitors. I believe OTA's format goes far beyond the instant gratification of a lap timer by giving every new competitor the opportunity to drive fast safely and within their limits.

Another thought is if the RFID timing system fails for any or all competitors, then the organizers could use the on-board lap timers as backup.
CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen
Old 05-04-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy View Post
Just thinking out loud here...

What might a lap timer might do for a newbie's state of mind when on the track. Instant feedback of lap times combined with knowledge of their buddy's lap time MAY summon their inner competitor in the heat of the moment and become an incentive to drive beyond their capabilities.

Having "free" access to a lap timer may appeal to the participants in non-CASC events, but it might lead to a costly mistake for those with little experience. In contrast qualified OTA instructors using safe learning methods provide a tremendous amount of value to competitors. I believe OTA's format goes far beyond the instant gratification of a lap timer by giving every new competitor the opportunity to drive fast safely and within their limits.

Another thought is if the RFID timing system fails for any or all competitors, then the organizers could use the on-board lap timers as backup.
Seems like a pretty narrow position between competing with your friends on an untimed basis and the full on time attack. Not sure if its really that different. "Newbie" can mean different things as well - there are definitely some people who have had to carry a triangle around and didn't need it.

I do worry for Sigma if they are going RFID only, CSCS hasn't made it work, it seems to be below 100% and all that.

Our timing system has some promising new features that will be added this year and will hopefully work out well
03 Z06 #72
10 Prius
Old 05-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Sigma will be using the aim mychron in car timers as well as the amb transponders they are not using the tags like cscs used last year
Old 05-04-2012, 06:53 PM

Not really sure why there's such a stigma behind the use of the word "RFID", both the tags that everyone is complaining about and the transponders that SRTA is using use RFID technology, the difference is that one is passive and one is active.

RFID tags = passive RFID

AMB Transponders = active RFID

SRTA is using the transponders, they purchased one for every one one of their participants, each racer gets both a transponder for their car as well as the AIM Mycron in-car lap timers so they can see how well they're doing in real time as well.

These are the transponders they purchased, serious stuff!

and here's pete (one of the SRTA members) installing the RFID (ACTIVE RFID) detection loop at TMP earlier this year.

I assume its the same detection loop that CSCS will be using this year, however their facebook page says that "they have their own line for any track that doesn't have it". Not sure what this means since TMP didn't have a detection loop before Sigma installed it so I assume they are planning to use Sigma's installed loop and not some other thing?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:24 PM

When Chumpcar ran the double 7 hr enduro at TMP last year, they just installed a temporary timing loop and we used the AMB transponders/MyLaps same as Mosport or Shannonville. It needed a bit more duct tape at one point but 7 consecutive hours of racing a day is quite a lot.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:25 PM

Is it permitted (in Ontario Time Attack events) to have your own lap timer which uses a trackside beacon and in-car timer/receiver? Would it interfere in any way with the official timimg devices?

CASC-OR OTA Assistant Director
Old 05-06-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gt61 View Post
Is it permitted (in Ontario Time Attack events) to have your own lap timer which uses a trackside beacon and in-car timer/receiver? Would it interfere in any way with the official timimg devices?
no restrictions

we have a number of competitors that set up their own timing devices