CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Sponsor Partners > Toyo Tires

Old 05-18-2012, 10:23 AM

Toyo R888 Info

I am looking for some information regarding the Toyo R888 type tires, please.

The OFFC/TTFC (Formula Ford) is running on this tire starting this year. I was wondering what people have found during their use of them.

Do the tires go off after so many heat cycles or do you find that they work well until you wear them to the cords?

On Sunday morning of the BEMC race, our driver went out for qualifying on a scrubbed set of tires (1 heat cycle) and felt that the car had more grip but wasn't sure if the track was just getting better. He wasn't complaining about a lack of grip with the previous set of tires and they have a total of 15 heat cycles on them. As a matter of fact he just kept going faster and faster all weekend, but again, we didn't know if the track was just getting better.

Any advice or information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:26 PM

Re: Toyo R888 Info

I'm sure you can find a lot of varied opinions on these tires.
I have them on my Miata lapping car and they've proven to be fantastic. I came from the RA1, which is the beloved tire used in the Spec Miata series. I find the R888's to be very similar and consistently improve with wear. I think they are better suited to lighter cars, since the reviews from some of the heavier GT cars are less enthusiastic.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:37 PM

I have been using the R888 for 3 seasons. Our Spec Miata Championship uses the Toyo R888 as the spec tire. Last year I did 17 races including 4 1-hour enduros & a 3-hour enduro on 6 tires on my Spec Miata. The big difference I noticed (between the RA1) was that they require more air pressure. Your Ford is very light and therefore probably wont require drastic air pressures. As a base line I would start out at about 34 psi cold. Approx 38-40 psi hot. Then adjust to suit. In the rain add 6 psi. They work good. We find they get better as they wear and they hold their speed until all the lines are gone. Then its time to replace them. I probably had 25 heat cycles on those 6 tires.

Our Miata's use as much neg camber as possible and therefore we wear the inside of the tire. Between race weekends we flip the tire on the rim to max the wear.

Bruce McNutt
GT2 Acura CL Tube Frame
Spec Miata
www.specmiatachampionship.com

Last edited by racer-025; 05-18-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 AM

thanks to karmaboy and racer-025 for the great info.