CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Road Race Specific Forum

Old 09-14-2017, 10:28 AM

race attendance at events.

The last three race events, BARC, Ted Powell, and now BEMC have been very well attended. I've been watching closely for the last two years and it appears things are getting better for people who want to race and people who wanted to get into the game. I was seeing little blips here and there of brightness. The increase in GT5 competitors is growing, as is GT2. 2008 nearly killed everything. It took a long time for the road to recovery to get into full swing. Shout out goes to CASC and all the clubs who endure. Just my opinion but I'm stickin to it. 150 entries for this weekend is outstanding.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:06 PM

Re: race attendance at events.

I agree Pat.
I think we will surpass the 160 entries.

And... GT Sprints is almost 50 cars...
I for one love the traffic ( sadly I had to withdraw because my parts have not arrived )

Large grids are the most exciting to watch both for spectators and for marshals.

Qualifying is about a fast lap. Racing is about racing, and using slower traffic to your advantage or sometimes disadvantage... etc.
Racing is about staying in front of the guy behind you, not a lap time.

Just my humble opinion.

raceinstructor@casc.on.ca

Last edited by Shark; 09-14-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:15 PM

The streamlining of race licencing for drivers with other experience is helping also, I'm sure of it. As long as we're careful about it. Sticking with bracket racing ( I'll probably wear it for that one) is a good thing for now also. I'm not a fan of the enduros over 1.5 hours but they are moving along. Just too expensive to run for me.

The brain in my car has an aneurysm to be fixed. No, not me, the ECU. Hoping to get to Celebration, another always well attended event.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
Sticking with bracket racing ( I'll probably wear it for that one) is a good thing for now also. I'm not a fan of the enduros over 1.5 hours but they are moving along. Just too expensive to run for me.
I for one couldn't shoulder the costs of racing without co-drivers - let alone in a big GT car - so I'm happily stuck in long-form endurance racing at least as far as production cars are concerned.

I also can't beef sprint racers for tolerating some manner of bracket racing, but I still don't see it working for endurance races. When a single car bears multiple co-drivers turning average laptimes several seconds apart from each other's, breakout penalties can discourage the formation of driver teams that pair newcomers and less-competitive types with often much faster mentors. As Ray says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
Racing is about staying in front of the guy behind you, not a lap time.
Racing for hours on end means doing the above by dealing with a wider spectrum of changes in the car's on-board and external conditions; standout laptimes have so little to do with that game that a one-lap penalty seems far too severe for the 'infraction'.

All that aside, I'm likewise really happy to see that the late-season's healthy grids have extended to endurance races, even despite the bracket handicap. Saturday's 3hr in particular presented the most gratifying on-track battle I've faced at Mosport since 2007. As my radio was disconnected I thought it was for overall position (well outside the top-10), but even with my ears on I'd have ignored that little bracket sticker on the rear bumper of the car ahead.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:24 AM

If I can add something that I also look at when I come to races, the quality of the cars. The Quality of the Sprints Class was absolutely great! Lots of very nicely prepared and turned out cars.

For the GT Challenge race, the quality was up a whole additional level from last year and the year before. Personally, I think this many 3 Hour races in a year are a bit too much, but the numbers are growing and people are turning up with more cars, better cars and interesting driver pairings.

Very positive weekend.

Eric
#23 GT4 Cougar and #24 GT4 RX7

Old 09-18-2017, 05:40 PM

I had a great time working the weekend from the pits. You drivers put on a great show, thanks.

Mike Nilson
Senior Scrutineer
Old 09-19-2017, 05:25 PM

Check the Road Race section from the CASC website mainpage for an interesting
pairing for the Challenge race at Celebration !!!!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Racer View Post
If I can add something that I also look at when I come to races, the quality of the cars. The Quality of the Sprints Class was absolutely great! Lots of very nicely prepared and turned out cars.

Eric
The quality of the drivers is to be noted too Eric, in particular in the GT2 class, they race hard, tight, and fast with many also competing in the CTCC series like Rocco, Michael, and Mark, those boys can drive !!!

GT Sprints rocks !!!

GT Sprints GT2 Number 82
Be your own hero !

Last edited by DavidSim; 09-20-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEK View Post
Check the Road Race section from the CASC website mainpage for an interesting
pairing for the Challenge race at Celebration !!!!
Very cool news!

But what puzzled me while reading the news is that the Challenge race will start at 8.30am Saturday morning. Where'd practice/quali go? How do you grid a race without qualifying? Am I missing something more obvious?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:18 AM

Your answer lies in the supp. regs

raceinstructor@casc.on.ca
Old 09-21-2017, 04:00 PM

Doh!!!! *runs to regs page*

Thanks for the tip, handsome