CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Road Race Specific Forum

Old 02-02-2018, 08:42 AM

spec tires for GT sprints????

"For GT Challenge and GT Sprints, you must be on Pirelli Tires to get points towards the Championship. The only exception is that if Pirelli does not have your size available. There will also be Pirelli window banners and stickers that must be on all GT cars."

Announcing this now? What should I do with the 3000 dollars of tires I've purchased to run this year? Are you gonna buy them back from me? You better have a grandfather clause with this one or your going to lose a lot of racers.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:47 AM

Re: spec tires for GT sprints????

Totally agree Pat. It is ridiculous to drop this on the racers at such short notice.
It should have said for the 2019 season going forward even if I agreed with the announcement which I don't.
Why don't we have cost examples of some of the common sizes so that this ruling means something to us. Now you are saying we all have to buy from one guy! Make them cheap enough and maybe it has some merit, but please let us know for goodness sake. There is no sweetness in this (other than to Brad and or others perhaps), it appears to be 'my way or the highway'. There is no mention of contingency money or free tyres to the winners, what is our incentive?
Brad is busier than a one armed paper hanger now, how on earth is he going to inventory and serve every GT racer satisfactorily ???? He will have a logistic nightmare on his hands, and huge potential disappointment when he is too busy or hasn't got enough inventory to get the racer back on the track.
This smells of collusion and profiteering, it appears political with no regard to the racer, or simply, nobody has looked at or considered (by thinking outside the box) what the implications are, which is why most new business start ups don't survive within the first 5 years, this is no different.
I have been considering retiring or making a change from my motorsport hobby anyway, this nonsense is enough to speed up my decision.
The spirit of Club racing in the Sprints has always been 'run what you brung' and we have a Class for you.
This decision has not been marketed well, car counts are low now, I wouldn't blame any of the racers to stay away. HOW DOES THIS HELP??????
Say 80% of racers refuse to comply, potentially the slowest cars in each Class become Champions. You want our entry fees, but are creating a farce!
Old 02-02-2018, 11:02 AM

I have no problem with it, I plan to switch to Pirelli tires.

GT Sprints GT2 Number 82
Be your own hero !
Old 02-02-2018, 11:11 AM

Hardly the point David. I don't. This is just wrong without a grandfather clause. There's a huge thread going on about it now at Ontario Racing on facebook.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:26 AM

>>Hardly the point David.<<

There are two sides to the story, I respect both.

>>I don't.<<

Does not appear you have too, that is your prerogative, unless you are hanged up on getting points.

>>This is just wrong without a grandfather clause.<<

I will wait until all the details come out before I come to any conclusion as such.

>>There's a huge thread going on about it now at Ontario Racing on facebook. <<

Interesting indeed.

GT Sprints GT2 Number 82
Be your own hero !
Old 02-02-2018, 11:59 AM

David, do you know what they are going to cost you, or are you just going in blind?
Old 02-02-2018, 12:18 PM

I was pretty upset when I read the email last night. Besides the cost of the tires and the fact that I already own the tires I plan to run for 2018, I have a few concerns:

I run RA1s now. When conditions are perfect I ran a 1:40.02 this past Indian Summer weekend driving the living snot out of the car. With the Pirelli slicks I will almost certainly be faster. So now I will have to either intentionally drive slower, find a different way to slow the car down or move up a class and be 4 seconds off the pace.

Another thing I like about RA1s is that they are versatile. For a 3 hour challenge race it may be dry, wet, intermediate or all 3 throughout the course of a 3 hour race. With the RA1s I can bolt them up and know they will work in basically any of the above conditions. With the Pirelli tires I will have full wet or full dry setups to choose from. If I start on full wets and the track dries up I will have to ruin the tires or stop to change. If I go out on Pirelli slicks I risk damaging the car or putting around slowly for 3 hours. No thanks. And I also have to have to buy racing radios to communicate with the crew and have a crew standing by in the pits ready to change the tires if the need arises.

This eliminates any hope of Chumpcar teams trying us out or joining us on a regular basis.

I would say I am operating at the margin and most of my GT5 colleagues are too. Any increase in cost and demand for a bigger crew to change tires during the race puts me out of the running. Maybe I would come out to 2 races instead of this year instead of 6.

GT sprints and GT challenge are supposed to have a minimum of rules to reduce barriers to entry. This spec tire rule is a huge barrier to entry. Part of it is about cost, part is about the other indirect demands it places on a race team. I have been very loyal to CASC and this will be my tenth year racing in the region. I have never considered looking for another place to race but this is a huge game changer. Even if the tires are $100.00 each this makes sprints and challenge very unappealing.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnx View Post
This eliminates any hope of Chumpcar teams trying us out or joining us on a regular basis.
FYI, at the fall meeting I asked Ted whether they were going to stop paying lip service to motivating more Chump entrants to step up, since the region's organizing clubs showed neither the will or the imagination to provide a single race amounting to the kind of distance that enables the economics of car sharing. The answer was basically an acknowledgement of the situation and a shrug, which to me was less disappointing than pretense.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:47 PM

I rarely post here with comments critical of CASC, but I cannot be silent on this one.

This really should have been in the member survey, and also discussed at the fall workshops. What is the point of doing either of these things if major items like this are not discussed and input sought? I lead corporate marketing for a major corporation and I am involved in sponsorships. While the deal may not have been signed at that point the parameters would have almost certainly have been discussed. What a perfect time to get input Ė before a decision was made. Itís called being customer-centric.

Now I have $9k+ of tires that are of no value if I want to try and compete for the championship. That was enough rubber for me to run 4 weekends, and with some luck I may have been able to stretch my $25k season budget to even 5 weekends. But my tires are $3k a set (and I have no illusion the Pirelli T/A tire will be much less, but I will check) and so to buy 2 sets of drys and 1 set of rains Iíd be looking at $9k EXTRA dollars. So, that means I now can afford to run two weekends, maybe three. So, fewer weekends per total dollar spent and still no chance to run for a championship. Thatís not helpful. Had this been offered with a grandfathering for this year and time to transition, all of this could have easily been a non-issue.

When you want to encourage a change you need to show people that what they are changing toward is better than what they are leaving behind. Sorry, but I just donít see it.

Rob Martin
GT1 Camaro #167
Old 02-02-2018, 01:22 PM

>>David, do you know what they are going to cost you, or are you just going in blind? <<

I have all the information I need, I started looking in to the Pirelli tires after the season ended last year, I am okay with it.

GT Sprints GT2 Number 82
Be your own hero !
Old 02-02-2018, 05:58 PM

Well it seems that it is more likely that this is all a poor announcement blast. Still nothing formal on the CASC site that I can find.

It seems that it is more likely that the series and championship points will run as usual and that a separate Pirelli Championship will overlap on top. To run the Pirelli Championship points you would of course need to be on their tires.

Hopefully someone clarifies this formally very shortly because this is all way to much crap over a long winter break.

Lets hope.

I just want to race but certainly not spending another $5k for tires to do so.

Pro Tour Truck

Doug
Old 02-07-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
Well it seems that it is more likely that this is all a poor announcement blast. Still nothing formal on the CASC site that I can find.

It seems that it is more likely that the series and championship points will run as usual and that a separate Pirelli Championship will overlap on top. To run the Pirelli Championship points you would of course need to be on their tires.

Hopefully someone clarifies this formally very shortly because this is all way to much crap over a long winter break.

Lets hope.

I just want to race but certainly not spending another $5k for tires to do so.
Just out today for those that do not get the emails blast.

In the last few days there has been speculation in regards to a possible tire sponsorship, mainly due to a misleading publication and some inaccurate rumours. I take full responsibility for the publication.

At this point I would like put everyone at ease and tell you where we are in the process to secure a substantial sponsorship.

We are still in negotiation of what this sponsorship should look like and what the effects to you the competitor will be.

Be assured no GT Sprint or Challenge competitor will be forced to purchase a specific tire in order to participate in CASC-OR championships.

Once an agreement is in place, signed, and sealed, the details will be presented to you and we're confident that you will see value and want to participate - participation will be at the option of the individual competitor.

I cannot give you a timeline for that, like anything when money is involved it takes time and the more money the more time it takes. We can only say we are working to have all agreements in place as soon as possible.

I would like to ask you however to supply us with your current tire size and wheel size as well as the number of sets of tires you may purchase in a year so we can start a database to have a faster response to any potential tire manufacturer sponsor who is asking for that info.

Please send this info to office@casc.on.ca

I would like to thank you in advance for your co-operation and hope that I can send you good news about a wonderful and exciting sponsorship deal soon.

Gunter Schmidt
President CASC-OR

Pro Tour Truck

Doug